• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18x10....best tire size? why? please help

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
26 September 2000
Messages
2,979
Location
671
I know this subject has been beat to death, but I am wondering about some things and only those who have experience or know more than I about this can help(and of course anyone else who wants to offer help is more than welcomed to reply too).

Here's the question... What's the "best" tire size to put on an 18x10 wheel/rim?

Here are some things to keep in mind when replying.

-treadwear not a factor
-price not a factor
-car is street driven only
-car will not be tracked
-car is lowered using H&R
-lowest profile desired
-widest tire desired(or is smaller better? why?)
-fronts are 225/35/17

Rear tire sizes being considered are:

255/35/18
265/35/18
275/35/18
285/30/18

**if anyone has pictures of the above size tires on an 18x10 wheel can you please post a picture, email them to me, or provide a link to where it can be seen.


Thanks and any help is appreciated.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
24 March 2001
Messages
2,298
Location
Neenah, Wi
Richard I have 18x10 Antera 121s on my 91 and have 265-35-18s they fit alright I guess but you see more Rim than tire when you look at the car from behind. I think they should of had 275-35-18s instead but I don't mind the ride is fine and I have Koni's and Eibach's on the car I will e-mail you some pics.


Steven 91 Blk/Ivory
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
27 December 2001
Messages
344
Location
California
Well according to Bridgestone's technical data on the Potenza S-03 tires on their site, the best fitment would be 285/30/18, although you could go 275/35/18. I would go with the 275/35/18 if the ride comfort was a concern, if not go with the 285/30/18. Wider tires may have better grip , but the more tire there is, the more weight that is being added to unsprung weight. 265/35/18 would fit, but would be a little on the skinny side for a 10inch wide rim.


Originally posted by Veleno:
I know this subject has been beat to death, but I am wondering about some things and only those who have experience or know more than I about this can help(and of course anyone else who wants to offer help is more than welcomed to reply too).

Here's the question... What's the "best" tire size to put on an 18x10 wheel/rim?

Here are some things to keep in mind when replying.

-treadwear not a factor
-price not a factor
-car is street driven only
-car will not be tracked
-car is lowered using H&R
-lowest profile desired
-widest tire desired(or is smaller better? why?)
-fronts are 225/35/17

Rear tire sizes being considered are:

255/35/18
265/35/18
275/35/18
285/30/18

**if anyone has pictures of the above size tires on an 18x10 wheel can you please post a picture, email them to me, or provide a link to where it can be seen.


Thanks and any help is appreciated.




[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 29 December 2001).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
4 February 2000
Messages
27,000
Location
Chicago IL
The outer diameter of your front tires is 0.6 percent larger than stock. In order for the traction control system to work properly, you want to find a rear tire size that is approximately the same percentage larger than stock.

The outer diameters of the sizes you list are the following percentages different from stock:

255/35/18 +0.7 percent
265/35/18 +1.8 percent
275/35/18 +3.8 percent
285/30/18 -0.5 percent

The 255/35-18 has the closest percentage increase from stock, so it gives the best assurance of the TCS working properly. The 265 and 285 sizes are off by about 1 percent, so they should still work properly. I would avoid the 275 size; while a difference of 3.2 percent should still work, it’s starting to get marginal and you’re taking a chance on a TCS problem.

From a handling standpoint, your fronts are 20 mm wider than stock. If you widen the rears a whole lot more than the fronts, you are possibly jeopardizing the front-to-rear balance of the handling. For this reason, I would avoid the super-wide 285 in the rear.

Of the sizes you list, the 255 will probably work the best for TCS and handling, but the 265 will probably be fine too.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 29 December 2001).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
26 September 2000
Messages
2,979
Location
671
smoore,

Do you have any pictures of your car, specifically one that shows the rear wheels and how it fits/looks on the car? Is it on an 18x10 wheel? Is there a lot of road noise? What tire do you have and how does it perform in wet/dry?

steven,

I got the pictures and they're real clear, thanks. Now I have an idea of how the 265's fit/look on a 10" wheel. Thanks for the help.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
11 October 2001
Messages
1,072
Location
Clearwater, Fl
don't have pics yet that i have loaded up however i have no noise with these tires and they are bridgestone on there now but i buy my tires used from a.k. tire in Tampa, Fl so i pick and choose two that are alike with the most tread. so sometimes (not often) brands change. the wheels i have are 18*10 oz f-1 cup racing wheel
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
27 December 2001
Messages
344
Location
California
The smaller widths of 255 and 265 are ok if you are not concerned with fitting them on a 10 inch wide rim. On a 18x10 rim, the 255 would definately be too thin and would not sit on the wheel correctly. The 265 would fit, but would not be optimum for that size wheel.


Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The outer diameter of your front tires is 0.6 percent larger than stock. In order for the traction control system to work properly, you want to find a rear tire size that is approximately the same percentage larger than stock.

The outer diameters of the sizes you list are the following percentages different from stock:

255/35/18 +0.7 percent
265/35/18 +1.8 percent
275/35/18 +3.8 percent
285/30/18 -0.5 percent

The 255/35-18 has the closest percentage increase from stock, so it gives the best assurance of the TCS working properly. The 265 and 285 sizes are off by about 1 percent, so they should still work properly. I would avoid the 275 size; while a difference of 3.2 percent should still work, it’s starting to get marginal and you’re taking a chance on a TCS problem.

From a handling standpoint, your fronts are 20 mm wider than stock. If you widen the rears a whole lot more than the fronts, you are possibly jeopardizing the front-to-rear balance of the handling. For this reason, I would avoid the super-wide 285 in the rear.

Of the sizes you list, the 255 will probably work the best for TCS and handling, but the 265 will probably be fine too.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 29 December 2001).]



[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 29 December 2001).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
4 February 2000
Messages
27,000
Location
Chicago IL
275/35/18 +3.8 percent

I think I made a mistake and the correct figure should be +2.9 percent. Sorry about that.

All these sizes should work okay with the TCS.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
11 February 2000
Messages
817
Location
Bay Area
wider tires may not give you more grip, especially for street driving where the road is not even. Also in the rain,you don't want too wide of a tire. Get 265s. But some times, we just want the cool look of wide tires. SO my advice is to get whatever makes you happy. On the street, the handling difference is probably not noticeable.

------------------
G Dummy~

Faster than stock.
:D :D :D
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
26 September 2000
Messages
2,979
Location
671
nsxtasy,

I can also go with a 215/40/17. I guess a "new" question would be...

what size tires are best for a 17x8 front, and 18x10 rear wheels?

I know there's a lot of factors involved, but what would be your best recommendation?

Thanks again for the help, it really is helping
smile.gif
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
30 January 2001
Messages
22,501
Location
Pa
I've never had a performance problem with 215/40/17f on an 8 in wheel,and 265/35/18,on a 10 in wheel. Wheels are blitz type 03 and tires are so2.I dont feel that the rears look undersized.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
17 February 2000
Messages
2,492
Location
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
The smaller widths of 255 and 265 are ok if you are not concerned with fitting them on a 10 inch wide rim. On a 18x10 rim, the 255 would definately be too thin and would not sit on the wheel correctly. The 265 would fit, but would not be optimum for that size wheel.


I have to disagree with this statement. Different manufacturer list range of wheels that will accomodate specific size of tires. However, for maximum performance, the tire size will have to be very close to actual conversion to inches to the rim. For instance, 255 tires is 10.03 inches wide. Using 10" wide rims would be optimal for this tire. The arguments being the tread of the tires will be as flat as possible given the correct tire pressure. Thus making the tires to function optimal under optimal condition. This can be verified by running the tires on flat surface and check the tire temperature acrross the tread.

However, from look perspective, the tire will seem to be stretched, when in actuallity it is the optimal condition.

This is why Realtime NSX uses 245 tires in the front with 9.5" width rim. The rear uses 285 with 11" rim.

The rule of thumb is convert the mm size of the tires to inches and tolerance is plus or minus .5"

OCTJMO, YMMV

To get back to your question, I think Ken's (nsxtasy) answer is the best.



[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 30 December 2001).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
8 November 2001
Messages
2,270
Location
NEW YORK/ARIZONA
I use the Pirelli p-7000"s with a rear set-up of 275/35/18"s they look owesome ,feel great and are wearing evenly and I'd estimate replacement time to be at 24,000-28,000 miles based on todays tire wear at 14,000 miles.
I concidered the 285/30/18 in the rear but if ride would be effected I would do the same tires again but thats just my preference to not change it if it works well for me..

------------------
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
27 December 2001
Messages
344
Location
California
I have to disagree with your statement also, as does the manufacturer's data. Toyo, Yokohama, and Bridgestone all list 285 width as the optimum width for a 10 inch wide rim. Also, Realtime's size of 245/35/18 will fit on a 9.5 rim, but Toyo's own recommendation is 8-9.5 inches, with the optimum at 8.5 inches. Also Realtime does not run 285/35/18 in the rear as you mentioned, they run 295/35/18. The 295/35/18 tire is sitting on 11inch wide rims, Toyo lists optimum at 10.5 inches.

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:

I have to disagree with this statement. Different manufacturer list range of wheels that will accomodate specific size of tires. However, for maximum performance, the tire size will have to be very close to actual conversion to inches to the rim. For instance, 255 tires is 10.03 inches wide. Using 10" wide rims would be optimal for this tire. The arguments being the tread of the tires will be as flat as possible given the correct tire pressure. Thus making the tires to function optimal under optimal condition. This can be verified by running the tires on flat surface and check the tire temperature acrross the tread.

However, from look perspective, the tire will seem to be stretched, when in actuallity it is the optimal condition.

This is why Realtime NSX uses 245 tires in the front with 9.5" width rim. The rear uses 285 with 11" rim.

The rule of thumb is convert the mm size of the tires to inches and tolerance is plus or minus .5"

OCTJMO, YMMV

To get back to your question, I think Ken's (nsxtasy) answer is the best.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 30 December 2001).]



[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 31 December 2001).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
22 March 2000
Messages
7,786
Location
Planet Earth
Originally posted by MYNSX:
I use the Pirelli p-7000"s with a rear set-up of 275/35/18"s they look owesome ,feel great and are wearing evenly and I'd estimate replacement time to be at 24,000-28,000 miles based on todays tire wear at 14,000 miles...


How have you managed to get such great mileage? No matter what type of car that I've owned, I never get more than 15k on any tire. Although presently, I'm at almost 12k on my Kumhos, and that's including a two day track event.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
8 November 2001
Messages
2,270
Location
NEW YORK/ARIZONA
I have "no" idea why they are lasting so long Mark Basch saw the "lack" of tire wear (actually 15k now and about 30% down)and was very surprised.
As I said I time before possibly because the "formula" Mark developed to extend the life of the tires vs' the factory specs. on the alignment rack.Supposedly the Mark formula loses a very minimal amount of traction but adds a large amount of life expectancy to the tire.The factory settings "so I am told" are designed for fast wear and max trac.I have railed thru many a turn at high speed and never hit the wall.Another thing is I never slip the clutch(the factory clutch lets out a horrible smell if I do)plus its clamping power leaves alot to be desired so I dont even bother with drag race starts.
So I quess I could say the factory clutch keeps me from racing every time Im at the light w/ some bonehead in a Mustang next to me.PS I own a Cobra and they are lucky she daily drives the 550 plus hp NOS strait runner other wise Id have quite a few pink slips and a parking lot full of Mustangs.
smile.gif

Maybe call Mark and ask him for the specs.on alignment and try the P-7000"s

------------------
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
26 September 2000
Messages
2,979
Location
671
Thanks guys for the help.


So far I've been able to see pictures of cars with 215/40/17 and 225/35/17 in the front, and for the rears 255,265,and 275/35/18.

Can anyone else help with pictures of the 285/30/18?


Happy New Year
smile.gif
 

ck

Experienced Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
10 October 2001
Messages
423
Location
Bay Area, CA, USA
Veleno,

i am in the same situation. Could you share some of those pics with me? Anyways, let me know what you end up doing, or I may let you know what I do if I get my tire/wheel setup first!

Chris
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
9 June 2001
Messages
1,264
Location
Casa di Rissoto
what is your FRONT tire? This has implications on TCS ratio adequacy, as well as a front-rear traction bias that could influence cornering tendencies

I have a 215-40-17 front, and have tried both 265-35-18 and 275-35-18 tires at the rear (with both 10" and 9.5" width rear rims).
- 265 gets you closer to the OE F/R ratios
- 275 looks better (JMHO), and gives you better rim protection
- I think 285 pushes you out a bit

As an aside I got much better wear with the 265/35 rears... could be due to subtle some alignment differences resulting from the margninally shorter tire

YMMV

###############

oops -- re-read the above message and saw you had a 225-35-17 front. Need to re-calc the ratios, but I suspect that 265 or 275 35 are still better than a 285-30.

I'd still suggest the 215-40-17 front... most of the better tires come in that size (still waiting for my Yoko AVS Sport). As a bonus, this is the new 2002 NSX front tire size

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 02 January 2002).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
4 February 2000
Messages
27,000
Location
Chicago IL
Originally posted by cojones:
Need to re-calc the ratios, but I suspect that 265 or 275 35 are still better than a 285-30.

Manuel - read my post above.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 January 2002).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
26 September 2000
Messages
2,979
Location
671
Rim size is:

17x8 front
18x10 rear

tire sizes are open right now because no tires have been purchased just yet. I'm open to all suggestions. What I'm looking for is low profile(close to the ground but not a stretched/bubbled look), and as wide as can be.

I've searched for tires, pictures, and information so I can make a good decision before I purchase any tires.

ck,

I'll email you the pictures, and what I decide on. Let me know what you decide as well. I'll get the tires in 2 weeks, after I've given it more thought.

So anyone have pictures of the 285/30/18's??




------------------
Richard
NSXTASY
 

ck

Experienced Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
10 October 2001
Messages
423
Location
Bay Area, CA, USA
Veleno,

I'm waiting on my order now for 17x8, 18x10 wheels. I went with Bridestone SO-2 Pole Positions in 215/40/17 and 275/35/18 but I am still considering 265 or 285/30 for the rear. I'll post pics when I get them on and send you some.

Chris
 
Top