• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1995-1996 vs 1997-1999 NSX

I think also the 95 has a different 2nd gear to help get rid of some of the 1-2 drop in RPM from the 94 and earlier cars. I would certainly say if you find a great condition 95 for the price, go ahead and get it. Personally though, I would hold out for the 97 if you were going to keep them stock.

gtr said:
I just bought a 96 NSXT. The car is not near at the level of performance compared to my Evolution MR in stock forum. Steering too slow, brakes are weak especally on a midship, and shocks are way too soft.

I feel u should get a 95-96 if you want to cruise with the top down and look just as great. If you want performance you might as well go with a Zarnardi or NSX-R.

Ask yourself if you really want to spend 8K more for a six gear and 20hp for a car that neither is, compeditive to race under simalar driver experience to the cars today. What i'm saying is that it depends on the car's condition and price. I made my decision based on my purpose and the condition being excellent and great value for it's price. I feel you should do the same. Look for a 97+ that is good maintanced and shape but don't ignore the 95-96 models you find a clean one.

Good luck.

Lord almighty what a bag of bull taco.

First of all, you can't buy an NSX-R in the United States.

Second, what makes you think the NSX (any year) isn't competitive to race. Let me guess... you're one of these FNF guys that "lives life a 1/4 mile at a time".

Don't read into garbage like this.

A well driven NSX will still hold it's own against damn near any car at or under its price in the marketplace today on the racetrack and on the street. Yes... there are cars that are quicker in a straight line. Yes... there are cars that brake better. And yes...there are cars that post higher skidpad ratings. But few offer the balance and overall performance of the NSX. Fewer still are as comfortable to drive, well built (here's your Evo buddy... at the shop), and reliable.

You can point to cheaper cars (the C6 comes to mind) that arguably offer a better bang for the buck and perform as well or better than the NSX for the same money but that's always been the case.

Magazine racers should stick to magazines.

Great thread guys.

I purchased my 1st NSX brand new in 2000. I sold it 2 yrs later and loved the car.

Last year I got the itch and wrestled with the trade off's between getting a 97+ vs a 95. After thinking about it in great detail, I realized that my first reason for owning an NSX is the fact that it's one of the hottest looking cars on the planet. It's also a honda and as reliable as they come.

I ended up with a 95 with 14K miles for $34K... an unreal deal that swayed me during my looking period.

Yes, the 97+ might be 1/2 sec faster in the 1/4 mile but at the end of the day that 1/2 second and 6th speed means verry little to me when I'm cruising the local roads in the hottest looking car on the planet!!

BTW, I would have bought another new on if they hadn't screwed up the body... no offense.

Da Hapa said:

I don't know about you but I actually have track experience and I auto X for 2 years. Please don't sterotype me and assume all Evo drivers as 1/4 people. It does have a boy racer look but please drive one first and tell me what you think before you comment. Go take one on to auto X or road track and i guarntee you'd b impressed.

I like PRIME because of the mature crowd and your post doesn't live up to the car. Lets be civil and stop the name calling.

You have a 97. I'm comparing my 96 targa to my evo on street rubber. Perhaps with slicks the RWD will have some advantage but please dont' insult me as a magazine racer just because I don't feel my NSX is up to par in terms of performance (Stock for Stock) against my evo. As for potential the NSX is a great platform having good weight distrubtion and double wishbone suspention but it's very costly and then again you get what you paid. I know it's reliable and a great car and that is why I bought one.

Cars today are fast (ZO6, C6 vette, GT3, Ford GT, Ferrari F430) since these are all supercars. I still consider NSX as a supercar but we have to admit it has aged but alway will be a legend.

Last edited:
Mirroredshades said:
I've never driven a 97+ but I just can't see how 25 HP makes that much difference. And at $5-10k you can buy way more than 25 HP. But if you have the finances I would say go for the 97. To me, the NSX's primary strength is in cornering and that didn't change much.

The extra 20 bhp is only part of the difference. It's also got an extra gear which makes as much, if not more, difference.

Da Hapa said:
The extra 20 bhp is only part of the difference. It's also got an extra gear which makes as much, if not more, difference.
According to Bob Butler's calculations, if you take a bone stock '91 NSX, and you add only 15 bhp, it drops the 1/4 mile times by 0.32 second. If you take that same bone stock '91 NSX, and you instead swap in the six-speed transmission, it drops the 1/4 mile times by only 0.11 second.

nsxtasy said:
According to Bob Butler's calculations, if you take a bone stock '91 NSX, and you add only 15 bhp, it drops the 1/4 mile times by 0.32 second. If you take that same bone stock '91 NSX, and you instead swap in the six-speed transmission, it drops the 1/4 mile times by only 0.11 second.

My point (perhaps not articulated well) was that it wasn't so much one or the other change but both together.

Da Hapa said:

First of all, you can't buy an NSX-R in the United States.

Second, what makes you think the NSX (any year) isn't competitive to race. Let me guess... you're one of these FNF guys that "lives life a 1/4 mile at a time".

Don't read into garbage like this.

A well driven NSX will still hold it's own against damn near any car at or under its price in the marketplace today on the racetrack and on the street. Yes... there are cars that are quicker in a straight line. Yes... there are cars that brake better. And yes...there are cars that post higher skidpad ratings. But few offer the balance and overall performance of the NSX. Fewer still are as comfortable to drive, well built (here's your Evo buddy... at the shop), and reliable.

You can point to cheaper cars (the C6 comes to mind) that arguably offer a better bang for the buck and perform as well or better than the NSX for the same money but that's always been the case.

The AMS EVO took out both of the modded NSX's at OnelapofAmerica, but I guess that doesn't count because those were modded NSX's right :wink:

gtr said:
I don't know about you but I actually have track experience and I auto X for 2 years. Please don't sterotype me and assume all Evo drivers as 1/4 people. It does have a boy racer look but please drive one first and tell me what you think before you comment. Go take one on to auto X or road track and i guarntee you'd b impressed.

I like PRIME because of the mature crowd and your post doesn't live up to the car. Lets be civil and stop the name calling.

You have a 97. I'm comparing my 96 targa to my evo on street rubber. Perhaps with slicks the RWD will have some advantage but please dont' insult me as a magazine racer just because I don't feel my NSX is up to par in terms of performance (Stock for Stock) against my evo. As for potential the NSX is a great platform having good weight distrubtion and double wishbone suspention but it's very costly and then again you get what you paid. I know it's reliable and a great car and that is why I bought one.

Cars today are fast (ZO6, C6 vette, GT3, Ford GT, Ferrari F430) since these are all supercars. I still consider NSX as a supercar but we have to admit it has aged but alway will be a legend.

I'll encourage you to re-read my post.

For the record, I'm very impressed with the EVO and the WRX (in all guises) as I think they offer a stupendous amount of performance for the money. I would never buy one because I don't like the way they look, I don't think they're screwed together all that well, and even though I know a EVO would blow me into the weeds, I'd rather drive a lightweight, RWD sportscar like an S2000 or an NSX than a very capable but sedan based car. That's just me.

And if you re-read what I said, I never called you names. Instead, I suggested that your premise (which is that an NSX isn't competititve with today's cars) is crap. Just because you can get around an autocross course faster in your AWD Evo doesn't make the NSX a bad sports car.

A lot depends on the driver, and a lot depends on the track but I honestly believe that a good driver on any given track would find the NSX a worthy car. Even nearly 15-years after it's release. Yes, there are cars that are lighter, with shorter wheelbases that will do better in shorter courses. And yes, there are cars with a lot more power that would do much better in courses with longer straightaways. But as they say... on any given Sunday.

You seem to imply above that AWD equates to better handling than RWD. For example you say "Perhaps with slicks the RWD will have some advantage" which reads to me as if you believe that AWD offers superior handling to RWD. Again, I disagree and question your premise. There are exceptions to every rule but I think most would agree that AWD is more foolproof and easier to drive but not better handling. There's a reason Porsche chose to make the GT3 and GT2 RWD when they have a very capable AWD system in the Turbo.

Yes, today's cars are fast but your statement above only strenghtens my point. Yes, the Ford GT and the Ferrari F430 will be demonstratably faster around any given race track than an NSX. They should be. They're brand new designs and they're a lot more expensive. And yes, the C6 will also probably put the NSX on the trailer in most conditions. But (and keep in mind the C6 is the first new 'Vette since 1967 that I can honestly say I like and I'd consider owning) ask yourself which car is better built and more reliable. In fact, ask yourself which car 10 years from now do you think would be a better car to own, maintain and drive. A new C6 or a new NSX? There's no denying the C6 is one hell of a performance bargain and it will put the beat down on many, many higher end cars at much fatter price tags but as I hoped to make my point when comparing a $30K Subaru with a $90K Acura... no matter how fast the car is there are somethings that the $60K delta buys you.

And for the record, I have a 1998. Not that there's any real differences between a 1997 and a 1998 but let's keep things straight :wink:

Finally, yes the NSX has aged. And I, for one, think that Honda should kill it and either replace it with another world beater or let the old gal die peacefully. But I also feel that the car still stands up today, nearly 15-years into the product cycle (which is an eternity in the automotive world) and that's one hell of a testiment to the car itself.

nsxtasy said:
Bob Butler has calculated the 1/4 mile times of the various models, bone stock, as follows (and his figures correlate well with actual magazine tests):

'91 5-speed NSX Coupe - 13.67 seconds
'95-96 5-speed NSX-T - 13.81 seconds
'97+ 6-speed NSX-T - 13.39 seconds

3% faster in the quarter mile for most (ok me) is not a big deal unless of course I'm racing for pink slips :wink:

Jasil said:
The AMS EVO took out both of the modded NSX's at OnelapofAmerica, but I guess that doesn't count because those were modded NSX's right :wink:

Actually, that means absolutely nothing to me but I suspect it will mean a lot to magazine racers

nsxtasy said:

Anyone in the NC area with a 3.2 6sp want to let me take their car for a spin? Strictly for scientific experimentation?

:biggrin:

Mirroredshades said:
I've never driven a 97+ but I just can't see how 25 HP makes that much difference.
On this side of the pond the difference is even smaller. Pre '97 are rated as 270 PS, +'97 as 274 and new models with 280 - that's at least the official numbers.

NSX-Racer said:
Good thread - seems I found another one with the rare magnum grey pearl '98 models here (S2NSX)! The difference is of course that his one is a T and mine is a cp. which wasn't available in U.S. AFAIK.

kamikazi: If you can get a +'97 cp. it would even have better performance numbers than NSXtasy posted for the T. And of course the suspension is stiffer than the T.

As NSX racer has just pointed out the pre 95s have stiffer suspension they also have a more rigid frame and they are lighter.
I drove both and chose a 94 and not because I could not afford the 97. Obviously what I really want is the best of both worlds, the Zanardi but I don’t have that sort of money to spend on a car.

Drive both and then decide. You might like the stiffness of the pre 95 of you may prefer the more civilized 97 + and the sexy open top option. It’s a nice dilemma you have. Like trying to decide between two super models who want you.

Regards,

Patrick

Da Hapa said:
I'll encourage you to re-read my post.

For the record, I'm very impressed with the EVO and the WRX (in all guises) as I think they offer a stupendous amount of performance for the money. I would never buy one because I don't like the way they look, I don't think they're screwed together all that well, and even though I know a EVO would blow me into the weeds, I'd rather drive a lightweight, RWD sportscar like an S2000 or an NSX than a very capable but sedan based car. That's just me.

And if you re-read what I said, I never called you names. Instead, I suggested that your premise (which is that an NSX isn't competititve with today's cars) is crap. Just because you can get around an autocross course faster in your AWD Evo doesn't make the NSX a bad sports car.

A lot depends on the driver, and a lot depends on the track but I honestly believe that a good driver on any given track would find the NSX a worthy car. Even nearly 15-years after it's release. Yes, there are cars that are lighter, with shorter wheelbases that will do better in shorter courses. And yes, there are cars with a lot more power that would do much better in courses with longer straightaways. But as they say... on any given Sunday.

You seem to imply above that AWD equates to better handling than RWD. For example you say "Perhaps with slicks the RWD will have some advantage" which reads to me as if you believe that AWD offers superior handling to RWD. Again, I disagree and question your premise. There are exceptions to every rule but I think most would agree that AWD is more foolproof and easier to drive but not better handling. There's a reason Porsche chose to make the GT3 and GT2 RWD when they have a very capable AWD system in the Turbo.

Yes, today's cars are fast but your statement above only strenghtens my point. Yes, the Ford GT and the Ferrari F430 will be demonstratably faster around any given race track than an NSX. They should be. They're brand new designs and they're a lot more expensive. And yes, the C6 will also probably put the NSX on the trailer in most conditions. But (and keep in mind the C6 is the first new 'Vette since 1967 that I can honestly say I like and I'd consider owning) ask yourself which car is better built and more reliable. In fact, ask yourself which car 10 years from now do you think would be a better car to own, maintain and drive. A new C6 or a new NSX? There's no denying the C6 is one hell of a performance bargain and it will put the beat down on many, many higher end cars at much fatter price tags but as I hoped to make my point when comparing a $30K Subaru with a $90K Acura... no matter how fast the car is there are somethings that the $60K delta buys you.

And for the record, I have a 1998. Not that there's any real differences between a 1997 and a 1998 but let's keep things straight :wink:

Finally, yes the NSX has aged. And I, for one, think that Honda should kill it and either replace it with another world beater or let the old gal die peacefully. But I also feel that the car still stands up today, nearly 15-years into the product cycle (which is an eternity in the automotive world) and that's one hell of a testiment to the car itself.

Well said!!!!

SugrueNSX said:
As NSX racer has just pointed out the pre 95s have stiffer suspension they also have a more rigid frame and they are lighter.
You may have misunderstood me - I pointed out that the coupe has a stiffer suspension than the T models - no matter what model year.

For the rest of your post I guess the opposite is true - the frame was strengthened in later models as you can see in the FAQ at "changes by year". OTOH the early models may feel stiffer because they are lighter.

gtr said:
Look for a 97+ that is good maintanced and shape but don't ignore the 95-96 models you find a clean one.

Good luck.

I've seen the word maintenance spelled wrong more so many times in the last week, I just had to say something.

maintenance
maintained
maintaining

Thank me later. :wink:

hlweyl said:
Thank me later. :wink:
Thank you for maintaining the proper level of decorum, grammatical propriety, and correct spelling in these forums. The maintenance of linguistic standards in our society is a responsibility we all share. :wink:

NSX-Racer said:
On this side of the pond the difference is even smaller. Pre '97 are rated as 270 PS, +'97 as 274 and new models with 280 - that's at least the official numbers.

My '92 NA1 is rated at 201 kW which equals to 273,28 DIN-PS.
AFAIK all '91~'96 Euro (german) models are rated at this power.
'97~current models too seem all to be rated the same here, but at 206 kW = 280,08 PS.

(1 kW = 1.359622 DIN-PS)

andy l.

'92 NA1 red/blk
'92 RX-7 FD silver
'95 RX-7 FD red

34k for a 95 with 14k miles.... Yikes... steal of the century. I think my car's value has just plummeted based on that, lol. I hope you don't brag about that too much as it should have sold for at least high 30's at a mininium ;). II bought my 95 for 38.5k with 60k miles just last year. At the time I couldn't justify the 47k to 51k for 97+ for a good condition car. To me it the differences weren't worth quite the 11k that was being asked last year. 5k to 6k difference for equal cars then I would have gone for the later version.

NSX-Racer said:
You may have misunderstood me - I pointed out that the coupe has a stiffer suspension than the T models - no matter what model year.

For the rest of your post I guess the opposite is true - the frame was strengthened in later models as you can see in the FAQ at "changes by year". OTOH the early models may feel stiffer because they are lighter.

No I think we are on the same page.
While it is true that the coupe is stiffer than the T as I’m sure you know, here in the USA there were no coupes in 95 and after that other than the 50 Zanardi in 99 there were so few imported that they are practically non existent. For example in 96 there was only one non auto and in 97 there were four so good luck finding one and if you do guess what the price is going to be like.
However, technically, I was wrong and I thank you for the clarification.

Regards,

Patrick

andy l. said:
My '92 NA1 is rated at 201 kW which equals to 273,28 DIN-PS.
AFAIK all '91~'96 Euro (german) models are rated at this power.
'97~current models too seem all to be rated the same here, but at 206 kW = 280,08 PS.

(1 kW = 1.359622 DIN-PS)
Weird - I used the convertion kW/PS in the calculation program of my mac that told me that 201 kW should be about 270 PS and 206 kW (which my '98 is rated) are 274 PS. Obviously this program uses the wrong convertion and you calculated right - thanks!

ibDursty said:
34k for a 95 with 14k miles.... Yikes... steal of the century. I think my car's value has just plummeted based on that, lol. I hope you don't brag about that too much as it should have sold for at least high 30's at a mininium ;). II bought my 95 for 38.5k with 60k miles just last year. At the time I couldn't justify the 47k to 51k for 97+ for a good condition car. To me it the differences weren't worth quite the 11k that was being asked last year. 5k to 6k difference for equal cars then I would have gone for the later version.

It was a fantastic deal which is why I jumped on it. I bought the car off of ebay... I think I took some risk but it paid off!! I didn't even mention that the owner had a transferable warrantee out to 2010 or 100K miles. Once I get my new wheels (Work VS-KF's), I will post some picutres.

NSX-Racer said:
Weird - I used the convertion kW/PS in the calculation program of my mac that told me that 201 kW should be about 270 PS and 206 kW (which my '98 is rated) are 274 PS. Obviously this program uses the wrong convertion and you calculated right - thanks!

Time to get rid of that Mac and get an Pentium 4 :wink:

Back