• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2006 Carrera GT not coming to US

AutoWeek August 22, 2005 reports
Thanks to new 2006 smart airbag requirements, the 200-plus Porsche Carrera GTs slated for our showrooms in 2006 will no longer be coming.
Porsche said the cost of engineering two-stage airbags and having to crash cars again for certification didn't make business sense. The NHTSA denied request for a waiver.
Since production began in Jan-04, 396 Carrera GTs have been sold in US.

bummer!

poet_x said:
carguy! owns 1 of 396. That's better than Enzo numbers....

Enzo production (for sale): 349 -> 399 -> 400
50 were added to 349, therefore totalling 399. Then 1 was made for charity*. Of the total production volume, 70 were anticipated for the US; it's believed the number actually was 82 units.

* 17/01 - Ferrari will auction car in benefit of victims of tsunami.
The Ferrari will construct a unit of its model "Enzo" to be donated to an auction that it will collect deep for the victims of tsunami Asian. Of the model "Enzo", that it takes the name of the mythical founder of it would escuderia and it is practically a Formula 1 of road, 399 units and vendido to a price of 640.000 euros had only been produced.
However, the president of Ferrari, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, ordered to produce a unit of the "Enzo", number 400, so that the auction goes. The decision, bonanza in the history of the house of Maranello, was announced by the director-generality of the Ferrari, the Frenchman Jean Todt, after the private hearing granted to this morning for the Pope João Pablo II In a recent auction, a unit of the "Enzo" reached the cipher of 800.000 euros, therefore it is previsible that of now it surpasses 1 million of euros.

Porsche planned build a total of 1,500 GTs, at rate of two vehicles per day, alongside the Cayenne sport utility vehicle at the company's Leipzig factory. Already, 1,000 of the GTs had been sold, and Porsche had expected at least half of the total production to end up in the United States.

Dang, I will thus cancel my order on a black one. Wifey will be so happy that her Scaglietti 612 will now be on order... :wink:

92NSX said:
Porsche said the cost of...having to crash cars again for certification didn't make business sense.

That didn't stop <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54725&highlight=carrera">this guy</A>. :D

They lowered the total number they are going to make to 1,250, because of the '06 Airbag issue they simply shipped more in '05 to the US so there will be about 600 '04's and '05's in the U.S. There are still quite a few available at dealerships and some are discounting below sticker.

Porsche did a number on the value of the car in the States by shippping pretty much everyone they made to the U.S. in '05 to get by the airbag issue. They flooded the U.S. market and left the rest or the world high and dry. I think we might actually see some CGT shipped out of the country to satisfy the demand in Europe.

Carguy! said:
I think we might actually see some CGT shipped out of the country to satisfy the demand in Europe.
I doubt that - even here in Germany you get discounts, these cars are much less demanded than expected - no dry ground IMHO.

BTW: They didn't lower the limited overall production number to 1,250 - that was just the latest "realistic" estimation number for the whole lifespan - they could still go up to 1,500 if there would be a need in non U.S. markets, there's enough capacity in the plant.

The guy who owns Monster Cable has 10 CGT's, he is a total nut job.

I saw one of his CGT's at the Consumer Electronics Show this past January in Vegas -- I didn't realize he had 9 more to go with it :eek:

poet_x said:
carguy! owns 1 of 396. That's better than Enzo numbers....
But the production of the Carrera GT will continue for the rest of the world. So by number, there will be less ENZO overall.

92NSX said:
AutoWeek August 22, 2005 reports
Thanks to new 2006 smart airbag requirements, the 200-plus Porsche Carrera GTs slated for our showrooms in 2006 will no longer be coming.
Porsche said the cost of engineering two-stage airbags and having to crash cars again for certification didn't make business sense. The NHTSA denied request for a waiver.
Since production began in Jan-04, 396 Carrera GTs have been sold in US.

Is this one of the reasons for the termination of NSX production as well?

I still look @ Carguy! 's avatar and wish I could ride in that thing just once. It is my absolute dream car. I'd take it over the Enzo ten-fold.

Who out there needs a website??!!? I need to jumpstart my Carrera GT fund!

NSX-Racer said:
I doubt that - even here in Germany you get discounts, these cars are much less demanded than expected - no dry ground IMHO.

BTW: They didn't lower the limited overall production number to 1,250 - that was just the latest "realistic" estimation number for the whole lifespan - they could still go up to 1,500 if there would be a need in non U.S. markets, there's enough capacity in the plant.

Gosh...the notion that people wouldn't buy a $400,000 Porsche, what gives?

I mean, it's a great car and all, but it's "only a Porsche." To explain to some girl at a yacht party, you have to start "bragging" about the price and listen to her tell her how her friend "bought a Porsche for $40,000, so you must have gotten ripped off."

liftshard said:
Gosh...the notion that people wouldn't buy a $400,000 Porsche, what gives?

I mean, it's a great car and all, but it's "only a Porsche." To explain to some girl at a yacht party, you have to start "bragging" about the price and listen to her tell her how her friend "bought a Porsche for $40,000, so you must have gotten ripped off."
<sarcasm>?

......... There is no such thing as "just a porsche" ditch the bitch if she talks about her boxster....wich FYI is fun as hell to drive.

now why did you speak again?

Back