• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3M Paint Defender System

Is this the stuff that sprays on like plastiDip?

Yes it is. I may pick some up and try this weekend while the car is down wating for my injector install.

Blackhorse let me know how you like it, I may get some too for those long road trips.

Not a problem. I was really waiting for something like this to come along, especially after seeing the Plasti-Dip stuff

I'm curious about the edge where the tape is pulled once the spray is applied??? They didn't show that in the video...

Well if it's like PlastiDip you pull the tape up while its still wet so it doesn't pull the product up.

Awesome stuff! I like it :wink:.

Can you give more feedback?

Do you think the material is actually protective against rock chips? How does it compare to a real clear bra?

Does it damage the paint in any way? I have heard horror stories of clear bras taking off the underlying paint.

Thanks!!

I wonder how this would work defending agains Lovebugs? Here in Florida, they can destroy paint in a matter of days! If you don't remove them within 2-3 days, the acid in their bodies eat right through the clear coat.

Can you give more feedback?

Do you think the material is actually protective against rock chips? How does it compare to a real clear bra?

Does it damage the paint in any way? I have heard horror stories of clear bras taking off the underlying paint.

Thanks!!

I wonder how this would work defending agains Lovebugs? Here in Florida, they can destroy paint in a matter of days! If you don't remove them within 2-3 days, the acid in their bodies eat right through the clear coat.

That is exactly what I was wondering.

I did some more research. 3M claims a traditional clear bra is a 7/10 in protection, whereas this new spray-on product is a 5/10. So it should be pretty close to the real thing, but not as good.

This is also a pic they have:

new-product-review-3-4_600x0w.jpg

And this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cmtMV_0Otwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmtMV_0Otwo

Looks impressive to me, but who knows how real-world will hold up.

Last edited:
What if you put another coat once it cures???

I'm going to try this on a very small area on a test car. I'll report back later.

The worst that can happen is that it doesn't settle correctly, and you get something like orange peel or haze.

The can is VERY heavy for a paint can. I was really surprised when I picked it up.

I sprayed this in my armpits to save on deodorant. I'll report my findings.

I'm sorry to report that Juice has died from hyperpitsweatosis. :)

Just sprayed a test vehicle with the stuff. My first impressions after de-masking are impressive. I just did a 5x7 index-card-sized square on the front bumper, and a little square on the window (to see how clear the stuff is on the car).

The material is visibly thick even 1 minute after spraying. The lines stay relatively sharp, and there is a clear "step" up from the paint of the car.

I'll update later on how it settles.

The biggest problem I can see is that even if you do this in your garage (which I did) little debris/dust can get into the material while it is drying. It already happened to me. You'd need a clean room for a perfect application.

Also be careful how you tape the edges. Don't criss-cross the tape (i.e. don't have the left side go under the top piece, and over the bottom piece; etc.etc.). I did this, and ended up having to take all the edges off as one giant piece of tape, instead of individual strips).

Also lay down the tape with the newspaper/plastic wrap first, choked up just a little bit before your final "edging" layer of tape. This way, when you lift, you won't have to lift the newspaper, which can mess up the polymer if it brushes it (ask me how I know).

Good thing I tested this out first.

It worked very well without any special spray nozzles. But then again, I only did a small area. Have some extra cans in case

**4 Hour Update**

Ok, I checked at 2 and 4 hours, and the material seems to have settled down (not as thick) and is MUCH more clear than it was after initial application (so don't worry about any haze/uneven spots after applying). The bad news is: Judging by how thin this is, I seriously doubt this material will protect against anything besides paint oxidation/extremely minor debris.

At 4 hours, the polymer is nearly invisible. With the naked eye, I couldn't even tell. I had to use my phone's flashlight to see the edge, and even then, I had to angle it right to find it.

I will keep an eye on it and update, but I am disappointed with how thin it is. If you think about a regular leather/pleather bra, it not only has the leather which is several mm's thick, but it also has that felt liner in the back. I would say the total thickness is ~5-10 mm thick, with a lot of give and shock absorption.

I have never seen a regular clear bra up close, but from videos, it looks substantially thicker than this polymer.

I am going to let that first layer cure, then add a second layer tomorrow.

*the area I sprayed on the window turned out completely clear.

Last edited:
^Thanks for the write up. Looking forward to hearing how the second coat works out. Don't forget to take some pictures to show us.

I just applied this to my car today. I did the lower portion of the front bumper and I added a pretty thick coat because i was afraid it would be thin like KSXNSX said.I might be adding another coat this weekend. I took a picture right after i sprayed it and ill take another when it cures and post it.

This product seems to work very well on vertical surfaces like the front fenders but the nozzle spits out balls of the spray stuff onto flat surfaces like the hood. I did about 3/4 the hood all the way down to the front lip. With a better nozzle this product would 10 times better.When it dries ill post pictures. I have a feeling im going to have to peel it off and go with the real thing.

If your spraying the front bumper, be sure to cover the radiator. I don't think you want this stuff in there. Just some advice.

If your spraying the front bumper, be sure to cover the radiator. I don't think you want this stuff in there. Just some advice.

I probably would have never thought of that before it was too late. Especially since it could be months before I actually do it. Good catch

Back