• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3M Paint Defender System

OK so after i sprayed it and let it dry it didn't look that bad. A few spots needed a thicker coat but it would have looked ok. I never took it out into the sun to see how it looked though. I sprayed some no water car cleaner on it and left very noticeable spots all over it. I was pissed and in my rage i just ripped it all off. I may try it again but i think i will just go with the real thing. I didn't take any after pics so i apologize ..i know i said i would. I left the lower portion of the front bumper on because it looks fine.

Im 90% certain that if i let it cure all the way this wouldn't have happened. The spots were only in a few spots on the hood. I wasn't being impatient or anything i just didnt know this would happen. Sucks because i wasted $65 on this stuff because of it. Do it right and don't rush it and im sure it would look great.

Attachments

• spray.jpg
    spray.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 497
You are supposed to let the 3M defender cure for 4 hours initially. Then you can take it outside, and let it cure for 4 days in the sun. I think it is only safe to wash/wax after that time period (after it fully cures).

I'll test some quick spray wax (Meguiars) when I have a chance.

I'm having the bumper re-sprayed and am thinking of applying this product as soon as possible afterwards. The shop offers 3M Clear Armor application (about $600). I sent them a link to this product as a possible additional paint protection they can offer to their customers. I may even offer up my car as the guinea pig, as long as they have a chance to do the work in a clean space.

Thoughts?

I'm having the bumper re-sprayed and am thinking of applying this product as soon as possible afterwards. The shop offers 3M Clear Armor application (about $600). I sent them a link to this product as a possible additional paint protection they can offer to their customers. I may even offer up my car as the guinea pig, as long as they have a chance to do the work in a clean space.

Thoughts?

Just came across this thread, sorry I am so late to the party.

I would check with my paint shop. You may want to wait a while to let the paint cure before you put a coating on it. Your paint shop should be able to give you a good time frame to let the paint totally out-gas and harden before you apply any protective coating. Depends on what kind of paint they use.

I contacted 3M and Bell Racing Helmets about this stuff. I applied it to my Snell 2010 racing helmet to keep the helmet from chipping (I tend to be hard on my helmets, knocking it against roll cages getting in and out of my car and students' cars). Bell advised against it if it is flammable. 3M confirmed that even though the propellant is flammable, the material in liquid or solid dried form is not flammable.

I shot my helmet. I didn't like the pattern I had masked and I put it on too thickly in a few spots so it ran, so I peeled it off and re-shot it. I like the results. Hopefully the material will keep my helmet from getting chipped up. Since I had the material peeled off in a small ball in the palm of my hand, I tried to set it on fire with an open flame. It melted into a few small drops but did not ignite, so I'm OK with it on my helmet.

If you do try it on your NSX, do follow the directions (which I found to be pretty clear and explicit) carefully. It is important it is laid on very evenly and with the correct orange peel, lest it be not thick enough, or may run if too thick.

I just sprayed my front quarter panels - so far it looks great - I have sprayed a ton of plasti-dip from a can, so I sprayed it the exact same way. I moved fast, keeping the can about 5 inches away and sprayed all areas at least three- four times with light coverage.

If you are a perfectionist, this may not be the right product for you [it stays wet for quite a while and dust settles]. I will let it cure for a few days then test additional coats.

Back