• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 NSX, 74000 miles for 19k good deal?

I dont consider myself an NSX expert, but doesnt 19K sound unreasonably low? for a '91 with 74K miles?
Shouldnt it be more like High 20's? as opposed to High Teens?
I'd run a VIN check on that car, it could be a salvage title vehicle.

That car should sell for 29,500 + all day if it has a clean title and no accidents.... or structural damage... so, to answer your question......BUY IT if it all checks out but there is no way that it could be a sound car.....An NSX with 174,000 miles should still sell for 25k+.

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

ok the reason it being 19k is because the dealer is my very good friend's uncle. My friend had been wanting an NSX for the longest time and his uncle had been looking for one for him, when he finally got it it was a 5speed and my friend doesn't want a 5speed but forgot to mention it to his uncle. I asked my friend if the car had been in any accidents and he said if it had his uncle wouldn't have gotten it for him. So now i may end up getting the NSX if i can get it around 19k. The car is a repossesion or could have been from a drug raid, etc.. the 19k is what the dealer paid for it, i may have to just pay like 500 extra for the mechanical inspection fee his uncle did. can you guys just let me know what i should look out for in the car? how should i inspect it? the more info the better, i hope to really get the car that i've been wanting and would be happy if it was the last car i got ever.

Well, if 19K is the real price for a clean titled car go for it. Thats the STEAL of a lifetime. Just check the Clutch first, as it is an EXPENSIVE repair. It should catch nice and low on the pedal. If it engages up high the clutch is almost gone, expect a 2K repair bill for a new clutch. Also, you might want to check to make sure the Tranny isnt in Snap Ring failure range. That I hear is a 7K repair if it blows. Aside from that, just the usual things, make sure the engine bay is clean (usually indicates a meticulous owner), and check Tires, and brakes...and whatever else you might check on a normal car.
Another thing you might want to check i the Window Regulator's. Those are a bit of a pain if they fail too.
Hope this helps.

what i should look out for in the car? how should i inspect it?

There are a lot of tips in the "Buy/Sell" category of the FAQ, particularly the ones called "Used Car Checklist" and "Purchase Process".

Another thing you can do is this. There are knowledgeable NSX owners all over the country who are generally willing to check out a car for someone. They KNOW how an NSX is supposed to look, and drive, etc. If you'd like to send me a private e-mail and let me know what area the car is located in, I can put you in touch with one nearby.

$19k is far below even wholesale value. If the car went for that little at auction there is probably a reason. I would have the car checked very carefully by someone who knows NSXs.

Yo Edo,

How sure are you about that clutch symptomology? My 95 has 7,500 original miles, no mods, no history of racing/clutch dropping, catches very cleanly, but catches high rather than low. Is this the result of a clutch adjustment difference, year/model difference, or is my clutch about to go south? RSVP.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

Originally posted by Edo:
It should catch nice and low on the pedal. If it engages up high the clutch is almost gone,

That is not correct.

Also, you might want to check to make sure the Tranny isnt in Snap Ring failure range. That I hear is a 7K repair if it blows.

It's $7k to replace the entire transmission. You can have a blown one rebuilt for around $2500 or less.

Thanks for the help, as a 5th gen honda prelude owner i can see there is probably more of a sense of community among nsx owners and seems everyone is a bit more mature. I know that i will own a NSX sooner or later.(hopefully sooner) I just read through the faq's section and i only wish there was this much info on my current car. If I do decide to purchase the vehicle I will try to find some current nsx owners to help me inspect the car. I was also shocked myself to see the car at that price, but I do trust my friend. on a side note, i think nsx owners are the most humble and respectable exotic drivers out there, one example was when i was coming home and at a stoplight a silver nsx pulls up next to me and i expected the normal "ignoring" which i get from other super car owners like ferraris, porches, viper, etc... but while im drooling over the nsx the owner says "hey! nice paint!" and i was totally amazed. last thing in the world would be hearing a compliment by a nsx owner. We just exchanged some compliments and what i found most impressive is nsx owners never "showoff" as in flooring their cars or trying to race people. There is an incredible amout of humility and restraint that I do not see in other sports car drivers. so maybe you're wondering why he said nice paint? it's because my car is also silver but it has a lot of pearl in the paint and probably some blue, so at times the color changes depending on weather. here is a pic
nordicefront2.jpg

Joel,

I shuuter at the notion that when I dump the clutch in first gear at 8,000 rpms, I can't make my cowl shutter. Should I worry?

Yuk, yuk...

------------------
NSXY

I not only shuuter, but also shutter at the notion.....

------------------
NSXY

Hey ThomasL, my last car was a Prelude SH and I just bought another NSX last Nov. I love my Prelude as I've some mods on it, but NSX is juss a much more awesome car(duh!) I really enjoy the NSX so I hope you'll get ur future NSX SOONER!
smile.gif

NSEX, you bought "another" nsx? how many you have now? you still have your lude as a daily driver? can i borrow your extra nsx if i let you borrow my lude? =D

ThomasL, www.hondaprelude.com is one site that I used to frequent... b4 i lost my prelude...

find 'electro' under the setups page to see my last car... i now drive a black on black 91 NSX..
smile.gif
best car i've ever driven! by far....

NSXY,
It was not my attempt to ruffle anyone's feathers with my prior comments. Clearly, however, I have. Hence, I offer my apologies to those so offended. Remember, I have criticized the very same car I presently own. Understand that I remain angry that Honda needed to substantially remake the Targa after only 2 years of production--correcting several major faults that should never have seen production in the first place. I shudder to think that a company with Honda's reputation--particularly when involving the showpiece NSX--simply did not do their "homework".

ThomasL, I personally have met alot of nice NSX owners...Of course, one comes along as being a real prick...

But generally, your typical NSX, and RX-7 owner come off as great people...The others with the Supra's, well I can't really say anything nice about them...Maybe except that they should be dragged down an alley, beaten with a club then shot...

Trust me, I can imagine alot more !
eek.gif

Reading Booster comments bout Supra owners bring smile to my face (no flame please). However, some of my good friends drive Supra and they're nice people. However, I was reading supraforums and come accross this post:
Originally posted by elude:
Attitudes and grow up??
My friend and i drove 600 miles to hang out with supra guys, chat supras, see supras, race supras, see singles, bla bla, check out the fast shit. Not to see some people have huge egos and not "be cool." I was kinda disappointed in some of the attitudes, we all drive supras, i thought if anyone was talking trash it would be towards non supra owners... guessed wrong.

But then again, i'm just comparing this (V2K) against meets like NSXPO or CRXPO where everyone was really cool, and the "kings" were more than willing to show off their shit!!

But there were tons of cool people.....

Still had a great time, and a big thanks to the 5 other dawgs that made it out with dave and jason on sunday morning for some good old street racing!

The link is http://www.drizzt3117.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000770.html

They were having their annual meeting Like NSXPO in VEgas the past weekend.

Also, I find it interesting that most of the cars that they claim to be running 11's and 12's are actually running 13's and 14's at vegas at night!!!

Hey hey hey...I know you. I just made your wheels bronze in Photoshop...I hang out here too...drooling on my keyboard like the rest of the non-NSX owners!

------------------
'97 Prelude Type SH- some little mods
small.jpg

jmcn.com

Back