• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

95 NSX-T Pricing

Ed

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a NSX. Just looked at a 1995 NSX-T black/black with 27,000 miles on it. It's a private party sale(2nd owner)in excellent condition, with all service records. No mods, except beautiful new 17" and 18" rims and tires.

Assuming it passes all mechanical checks, what do you think is a fair price? Note, it's a Northern California sale, where prices tends to be higher.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

I bought a 95 using web site info only. This is what I did, and what you should do too:

1) Go to the Kelley Blue Book web site and figure prices using mileage, condition, eqipment options, and your local zip code (area) for comparison. NNX's are sometimes $6K more out West than the exact same car in the East or South. You can figure both the low book (wholesale/trade-in value) and high book (retail value) this way.

2) Go to the Cars.com site and look for 95 NSXs in your area and what they are asking.

3) Go to AutoTrader web site and look for 95's also. This site has tons of NSX's.

4) Go to Specialcars.com and do the same.

In the end you should be able to estimate a correct price for a car in your area.

In my case, four months ago I bought a perfect red 95 w/ 4,100 miles for $54.5K (less than high book) in Durham, NC. At that time, high book here (Del Mar, CA) was $61,400. I had it shipped here for $1,400.

Best luck, and let us know what you do.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

In general, a '95 NSX-T with average miles (27K) in excellent condition should sell for mid forties ($43-47K). Add a couple grand if it comes with the OEM wheels/tires in addition to the aftermarket ones on the car.

Cars with very low miles (under 10K miles) generally sell for $3-5K more than those with average miles.

Of course, if for whatever reason this particular car is exactly what you want, and you feel that it is worth a bit more than this TO YOU for that reason, then it may make sense to pay it.

Kelley blue book prices tend to be high for the retail, and low for the wholesale/trade-in prices. Very beneficial for the dealers that way.

Certainly, it makes sense to do your homework and check http://www.kbb.com and http://www.edmunds.com and http://www.nada.com to get a general idea of what the going prices are... but big spreads between retail and trade-in prices are an indication that the indicated prices may not be all that accurate (and/or that the market may be hard to gauge because the numbers are small).

Asking prices (prices listed in ads) may be useful as guidelines, but keep in mind that these are asking prices, not selling prices. People can ask for prices as high as they want; it doesn't mean that anyone will necessarily pay those prices. The actual selling price is usually significantly less than the asking price.

I am just in the process of getting my 95, and I think that looking in the books is pretty much worthless.

What people need to understand is that these cars values ARE NOT book driven, they are market driven.

Hell, book on the Supra I was selling was @ $21000 or so, and I had NUMEROUS offers for $28500 (my asking price). I know a Supra is not a NSX, but that kind of explains my point.

Every car has a different value (just like NSXtacy said), so you need to determine what it is worth to you.

I see most lots who sell them get $51000-$54500 on cars with 10k~25k miles. There is one for sale right now in my town for $53500, it is a 95 blk/blk 14k miles. However they just lowered the price from $54500, so I doubt it would get much lower than that.

-Ethan

-Ethan

Ebanks thinks that Book prices are "worthless." I checked to see if he is correct about the local 95 Blk/Blk w/ 14K available in Springfield , MO.

Using a Springfield, MO zip code and the Kelley site I found the car to have a high book of $55,310, which is about $2k less than the asking price of $54.5K. Low book is $44.5, assuming that it is in excellent condition. So apparently the book prices do bracket the asking price well, with the asking price being closer to the high book price, but not above it. This is completely normal and what you can expect if the car is properly priced, assumming that it's is excellent comdition. If the asking was $60K, you'd know from these comparisons that it was priced too high.

My analysis shows that blue book prices do mean something and can be used to one's advantage in buying (or selling) a car. They do not mean everything, but they do provide one of several realistic bases for shopping or selling.

Best luck.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

OK, enough of this already. Here's the real deal. Blue book, NADA, and Edmunds are NOT, I repeat NOT, accurate figures!!!!!! I am in the business for years. I appraise, buy, sell, etc. These figures are listed by people like myself at dealerships. A form is sent to all dealerships for these books asking what we sold and for how much each month. Most dealers throw it in the trash. The remainder that fill them out, simply fill in any number close to what they remember....and usually inflate the price. They do this for one reason.... these books are for use by banks and Ins. companies to determine how much they will lend and how much they will pay out in event of a loss, respectively. So, we want it HIGH! (they are much higher than the correct book, black book) Now, to the point of this topic.....exotic cars are in NO WAY related to these 3 books. If you want more accurate, use a CPI book for exotics. This book, as well as the BLACK BOOK are accurate(for lack of a better word). These figures are derived by actual auction sales and bills of sale. They can not be 'smoked'. They come out weekly and per region and range from 'rough' (wholesale) to 'extra clean' (retail). Take a look at a CPI book from Massachusetts and one from So. Cal. and notice two very different accurate numbers. Thus, market value......remember regions greatly affect market value. In other words, find a garage queen in 'lost town' Montana//////
smile.gif

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
In general, a '95 NSX-T with average miles (27K) in excellent condition should sell for mid forties ($43-47K). Add a couple grand if it comes with the OEM wheels/tires in addition to the aftermarket ones on the car.

Cars with very low miles (under 10K miles) generally sell for $3-5K more than those with average miles.

Of course, if for whatever reason this particular car is exactly what you want, and you feel that it is worth a bit more than this TO YOU for that reason, then it may make sense to pay it.

Kelley blue book prices tend to be high for the retail, and low for the wholesale/trade-in prices. Very beneficial for the dealers that way.

Certainly, it makes sense to do your homework and check http://www.kbb.com and http://www.edmunds.com and http://www.nada.com to get a general idea of what the going prices are... but big spreads between retail and trade-in prices are an indication that the indicated prices may not be all that accurate (and/or that the market may be hard to gauge because the numbers are small).

Asking prices (prices listed in ads) may be useful as guidelines, but keep in mind that these are asking prices, not selling prices. People can ask for prices as high as they want; it doesn't mean that anyone will necessarily pay those prices. The actual selling price is usually significantly less than the asking price.

I haven't seen a 95-T for below $50K with low miles. Where are you seeing these cars? This could make my dream of having a T come sooner!!!
smile.gif
Thanks!

Tetsuo

I haven't seen a 95-T for below $50K with low miles. Where are you seeing these cars?

There are two 95 NSX-T listings in the marketplace section of this nsxprime website, both with 24K miles, one asking $47,500 and the other asking $49,000. http://www.nsxprime.com/market/marketplace.htm

There are five '95 NSX-T's listed for sale at http://www.cars.com Three don't have prices listed, but one has 29K miles and asking $44,900.

There are 20 '95 NSX-T's listed for sale at http://www.autotrader.com Some don't have prices listed and there's at least one duplicate listing. Eight cars are under $50K and five are over.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 31 August 2000).]

NSXY,

Yep. I definately don't think the books are worthless.

None of them are consistent with each other....

Edmunds values the same car you were talking about roughly $10000 lower than KBB. How the hell are people supposed to know which one to follow? Especially if they only read Edmunds.

Then they would go around, and never buy an NSX, because they would expect to find a low mileage 95 for $38000 or something similar to that.

-Ethan

Ok I picked up my 95T with 5K miles 10 months ago in the mid-$50s. All original with every accessory available in absolute perfect condition. It was so clean that the dealer who inspected it said it was as clean as the 1999 on the floor. BTW this was not who was selling it but was the dealer
who had serviced the car.

Anyway I had looked at about 20 cars for 6 months before buying mine. I had 3 cars inspected of which 2 had problems not disclosed. One of which was that the car had been repainted in several places by the dealer selling the car. The dealer never disclosed this prior to having the car inspected by the NSX tech.

Also I considered flying my local NSX tech to check out a couple of cars but when I mentioned this the seller they said oh yea or btw.... and that's how I got more low down on the cars. I figured it was cheaper to fly/pay him then to buy something that was going to cost me more in the long run.

Over the 6 months I consistently found prices between low $50s to high $50s. The ones in the high $40k were in the high $40s for a reason. The bottom line is I ignored the books after awhile because I got a better feel for the market through my own experiences. The West coast has higher prices than East coast. I found cars with low mileage in worse condition than cars with moderate mileage and cars with high-mileage better than ones with moderate mileage. It really comes down to the individual car and how was it driven and maintained. I'd also consider how do you see yourself driving the car. So in general a 95T in the low to mid $50s seems to be reasonable for a pristine car with low mileage. I also found that the cars seem to depreciate about $3k to $5k in value each year if well maintained and more if driven hard.

I hope this helps.

Hal Jones
95T blk\blk

Back