• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A humbling experience...

Here I am, at the local autocross double-header weekend race, when I am feeling so great about myself being able to lower my time a full 5 seconds over the course of the week-end (13 runs). Such a progress would have probably taken more time without the precious help and pointers of my friend Marc who makes FTD at every event with his prepared Civic.
In any case, after such progress (5 seconds on a 55 second course), I'm thinking it might be time now to start upgrading tires, suspension, brakes since I probably already have quite upgraded the driver, right ? That's when I hand my NSX keys to Mark who has never driven my car, let alone ever driven an NSX at all.

His time on this one and only run?

1.5 seconds faster than my fastest time ! :eek: And then after being so happy and greatful for the opportunity to drive an NSX he adds that with a bit of practice he can probably take another couple of seconds off that time. I guess, I'll keep on upgrading and investing in the driver for now... :biggrin:

Keep him driving your car but next time get in the passenger seat! You'll learn a bunch on what to do and what not to do.

Don't feel bad. Happened to me in my NSX on a road course. :frown:

haha nice! good for him, and you too for letting your friend drive it. I let my buddies drive my car all the time... Maybe he was so fast bc he wasnt familiar enough to know when he would/could lose it.. haha
anways... good story!
Chris

I've noticed the same things at local autocrosses; there was a guy out at one here with a nice C4 Vette that was having a hard time getting traction around the course; one of the experienced guys (drove an older black VW rabbit, IIRC, that always lifted tires in turns) took his car out and set the fastest time of the day for that class, on the first run, but admitted he has owned Corvettes in the past.

Watching an experienced driver work is truly impressive, I agree with Ponyboy, do you best to go out with him again, and see how he does things differently.

I talked with the Vette driver afterwards; he mentioned that the VW guy drove with his hands completely different, not holding at 10 and 2, not even close (very hard to describe, and I can't think of putting it into an email, I'd have to gesture myself to try and explain), but it allowed him to get the car around turns quicker (big plus) and use the natural centering of the wheels to straighten it out again (and not his hands).

Good luck with going forward, here's to your next second off your lap time! :)

I find myself chuckling at your story…and your honesty.

Late last year at PIR raceway in Portland I entered a track day sponsored by the local BMW club. These guys put on a great event, top notch. As I sign up I start talking to the Club’s Chief track instructor. He sees that I’m driving an NSX. After a little more conversation I ask if he would be my instructor for the morning run. He nicely agrees but, say’s I will need to sign up in the novice class!! (The club gives free instruction to ALL novice entrants). Over the years I’ve put in quite a few laps at PIR (on the high side of two hundred), mostly in a Lotus Europe S2. Soooo…I accept his offer, thinking later that I might be wasting some track time. This was my instructor’s first track time in an NSX and he had only good things to say about the car.

Well to say I was “humbled”….. would be an understatement!! I learned more in those two track sessions that morning than I would care to write down. That was track time very well spent and it was basically free. My driving skills took a huge jump that day.

We’ve got the best car to start with……..now just work our own skill level up to the car.

DAVE.

Dave,
Get yourself back up here to PIR. I will be instructing with the BMW club this season, be happy to do some laps with you!

Dave

I think a lot have to do with the speed a good driver carries thru the turn.. I sat with a few driver who think BBK and late braking is fast. Late braking can knock off too much speed. a more experience driver may brake early and carry the car around the turn faster and exit faster.

This thread is great because it shows what really matters...the driver.

Last edited:
fkong777 said:
I think a lot have to do with the speed a good driver carries thru the turn.. I sat with a few driver who think BBK and late braking is fast. Late braking can knock off too much speed. a more experience driver may brake early and carry the car around the turn faster and exit faster.

Any given set up can only turn-in to a corner at a specific speed depending on the amount of traction available. One of the best ways to increase the speed at which you can turn-in is to late brake, transfering weight to the front wheel which increases traction for steering, then rolling off the brakes as you accelerate into the corner.

It is important to always be smooth, don't confuse a jarring brake style with late braking. Late braking has to do with knowing how much braking you have available and waiting to start your braking until later in the brake zone. The limitation with brakes is the same as with cornering, traction. The best way to increase braking ability of your car is not bigger brakes, it is sticker tires.

DONYMO said:
This thread is great because it shows what really matters...the driver.
All these threads with everybody bellyaching about the NSX not having as much HP as this car or as much torque as that car...it's such a waste of space on the NSXPrime server. :biggrin:

But go ahead, all you goobers...spend $30,000 on a bad ass turbo kit so you can feel extra humiliated when Andrie flies by you in a NA NSX like you're standing still. :tongue:

Don,
I thought you have a turbo kit? :p

Back on topic, it could be a humbling experience. Reminded me when I first started. Now, if I show up at track event people always asked me to drive their car. For friends I know for a while, I usually obliged. But only for very few laps. For acquaintances, I usually declined. Not because I don't want to help them, but because it is hectic and I'm not too comfortable pushing someone elses car hard.

But even until now, I often ask ride from few friends to get more tips and tricks. Could always pick a thing or two.

Don't worry about it. Just keep practicing. It's nice to be humbled sometimes. :biggrin: You can throw as much money as you can at a car, but in the end it all depends on the driving skills.

Back