• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura dealer scratched my NSX!

BB

Experienced Member
I recently had my 91 Red NSX serviced at one of the local Acura dealers during a timing belt and water pump change. When I came to pick the car up and the end of the day it was dark out. (It's completely dark by 5pm in Washington this time of year).

The next morning at work in the parking lot, I noticed a blemish on the side of the car about a foot immediately to the left of the passenger door's keyhole. Upon closer inspection I discover its a series of about 30 to 50 hairline scratches in a vertical motion. The scratches form an area about a inch in length and about a quarter inch wide. Because of this, unlike other small scratches, it's easily visible from several feet away.

Feeling sick that my nearly perfect NSX now has a blemish on its side, I call the dealer to complain. They tell me they will take care of it. When I ask how, I am told they will attempt to buff it out using their in-house detail shop. If that fails to remove it then they'll airbrush it.

I don't like either of these options. But of the two the buffing bothers me the least. I am not at all in favor of having someone put more paint on top of the factory paint that looks otherwise perfect.

The other thing that bothers me is I have no information on how good the dealer's detailers are. I don't want just anybody buffing the side of my car. I'm wondering if I should find my own detailer and insist the dealer pay for it. Though it makes things difficult since the dealer is 100 miles away from me and they haven't even seen the scratches yet.

Any advice on how to proceed and the best method for repairing such scratches would be greatly appreciated.

My friend got a new Acura a few days ago, and took it back because he noticed some very very minor scratches! When he got the car back, it had large swirl marks where the scratches had been! His car was black and the swirl marks looked horrable on his new car! They said they would take care of it, but nothing yet! But this was in Houston! Just be careful I guess and raise hell!!
Good Luck

NSX FoYoAss

I had the same thing happen when I had some work done on my car. I think the guy just leaned up against the side without thinking while he was working on the car.

I used Zymol's HD Cleanse and then followed up with Zaino's #5 and finished with Zaino's #2. I'm pretty fussy and couldn't see any of the scratches after I was done.
Without seeing your damage it's hard to say if this would work for you but I would try almost anything before painting.

Good luck.

Norm
94 Red / Black

[This message has been edited by Norm (edited 18 November 2000).]

I would never let any dealer paint or touch up my car, let alone buff it. Out here you're better off letting the "pro's" do what they do best. I had my car buffed by a detail shop and I have to tell you it came out GLASS! I'm sure it varies from dealer to dealer. If you're curious how good the dealer is, why not take a look at some of the cars they've done or are doing? You can get a good idea of how good(or bad) they really are. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do the best thing.

------------------
Richard

A buff job is first choice... I have heard a lot about zaino but haven't tried it. Do not let anyone use a wool type pad. This will definitely leave swirl marks. Go with latest foam technology. With proper technique, foam pads can reduce the "orange peel" of the stock clear coat without leaving swirl marks. I have a variable speed Makita buffer that works wonders on old paint.

I would not be afraid of either airbrush treatment or a repaint, although you probably do not need a repaint. I've seen NSX repaints that are indistinguishable from stock. Most NSX's, even those with low mileage, will have their share of stone dings. The vehicle is a magnet for gravel thrown up by truck and SUV tires, even if you are careful about your following distance.

Moeover, take a good look at the body behind your wheels. You may be surprised at the amount of paint damage that has already occurred. Sticky tires hold tiny rocks which are ultimately propelled off the tire and sometimes into the body.

Most NSX's will need at least nose and rocker panel painting some day. Remember, paint is primarily a protection against corrosion.

Definately! DO NOT LET THE DEALER TOUCH THE CAR. Take it to a pro. I just had the same problem except I had hairline scratches on my black 92 going across the rear deck! I think they used it as a workbench. The guys in detail shop are typically not used to perfection as they cater to less expensive cars (older integras/legends) for owners that are just not as critical or care about the level of detail as we do. Their job is to wash/wax or just fix something so that it can be sold. Removing damage without leaving a large trail of everything they have done is just not their specialty. Take it too a pro that has experience with fine finishes and you will save yourself lots of additional heartache.

Dealers in general suck!

I took my red/black NSX to Los Gatos Acura for service, which is highly recommended on this site, and it was returned with a 1" scratch in the driver's door. I am 95% sure the scratch wasn't there because I had just personally detailed the car the day before the service. I returned the car for repair and left it for a day. They spent 5 minutes touching it up with a burgandy red from a touchup bottle. It didn't match and had brush strokes. I picked up the car after hours and called the Service Manager who said that he had not inspected the work. I dropped the car of again and was guaranteed satisfaction. Again I picked up the car with a new small door ding in the left front fender. The car had 5 more miles on the odometer than when I picked it up and the radio was tuned to a station that I never listen to. They offered to repair the fender dent but I was tired of having my NSX used as their tech go-to-lunch-mobile. From this thread is sounds like a lot of dissatisfaction from the Acura dealers.
Biophase's post on "Where's the engine" thread got my blodd boiling again. Bottom line is be very cautious where you take your NSX if you do not want it abused.

Mine is a 91 that is almost ready for a repaint anyways so that's how I sleep at night. When the time comes for paint, I am thinking of painting the entire car and changing the roof from black to red. Any comments/experience on this approach are welcome.
bill

Yeah, I've not been too impressed with the Dealers, I just got my 91 w/ 6k miles and took it to an Acura dealer to inspect and when I got it back the plastic trim that lines the bottom part of the door was scuffed (from the dumb ass mechanic dragging his foot over it when getting into the car).

From now on I'm gonna have a discussion with the service manager and the mechanic before they even set their eyes on it and make it clear that brushing against any part of the car while working on it is not acceptable.

Just wanted to let everyone know I decided to try and remove the scratches myself rather than risk the dealer doing further damage.

I bought some Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover and rubbed lightly in a circular motion on the problem area for about 10 seconds. This caused the white towel to turn slightly pink. I then applied a couple coats of Zaino Z-5.

My scratches are now 100% gone! Even if I take my blue LED flashlight and shine it over the area (this always reveals scratches), I can't even find where it had been.

Thanks for everyone's helpful advice.

reviving the old topic..
how can I remove some marks?
I installed new spoiler tonight.. it slide on the trunk ( no bolts to keep it in place.. ) and its rubber paddings under it rubed a mark.. cant get it off with my fingers.. and I accidentally kicked up OE spoiler.. left another mark..!! AWWW how stupid am I

I presume these may be light scratches. Meguiar's makes "Scratch X" (in a black vertical standing tube) that removes light scratches and swirl marks. It's a white creme and works very well plus its non abrasive. I've used it on different types of cars that I've detailed before and it works great. Give it a try.

Where can I get it ?

Originally posted by Vytas:
I presume these may be light scratches. Meguiar's makes "Scratch X" (in a black vertical standing tube) that removes light scratches and swirl marks. It's a white creme and works very well plus its non abrasive. I've used it on different types of cars that I've detailed before and it works great. Give it a try.

It's available at any auto parts store. Kragen & Peb Boys should carry it. Meguiar's website has more info on Scratch X <a href="http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=CP&SrcCat=2">here</a>.

Meguiars also makes a product called Meguiars #9 Swirl Mark Remover 2.0 that works just fine for this purpose too. I think the #9 is a little bit less aggressive. But either one should work.

Back