• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current cost - basic dealer services

Was just quoted $423 for a regular oil change (out of this world) at an Acura dealer and about $300 for a transmission fluid change (a little more understandable) - NA2, 2005. Is this the current state of affairs for dealer pricing? It's my first time at this dealer and first service since I bought the car.

I'm feeling a premium is being applied because of a "well, he can afford it" mindset when the actual process of changing the oil has never changed and most certainly is not as complex as the 7 drain plug NC1 (I know, those are probably $900+).

At the end of the day, I am an OEM/stock/do everything at a dealer and expect to pay a premium as such, but this is just surprising to me. Materials (oil) and labor rates and much higher than 5-7 years ago in general, but this just seems like these prices are way high.

I know, "pay to play", but this just is beyond expectations. I only do about 2,500 miles per year, so I guess I have to factor in the frequency (1x per year) of the oil changes so that lessens the shock a little.

P.S. Can't wait to find out what the charge will be for the CEL resolution will be that I also have.

Thats crazy for how simple the process is on an oil change, I spent $40 with my indy shop that did the change (I supplied the oil and filter ofc).

I forgot to check the cost of my first oil change when I bought the car. It was $118 at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly exactly 1 year ago.

Now I have a point of reference and something to go back to my local dealer here in Florida.

I would never return to that dealer. That’s a pretty extreme NSX tax. As other said above, oil changes on these cars can’t get any easier. There’s no panels to remove. Everything is super accessible.

Was just quoted $423 for a regular oil change (out of this world) at an Acura dealer and about $300 for a transmission fluid change (a little more understandable) - NA2, 2005. Is this the current state of affairs for dealer pricing? It's my first time at this dealer and first service since I bought the car.

I'm feeling a premium is being applied because of a "well, he can afford it" mindset when the actual process of changing the oil has never changed and most certainly is not as complex as the 7 drain plug NC1 (I know, those are probably $900+).

At the end of the day, I am an OEM/stock/do everything at a dealer and expect to pay a premium as such, but this is just surprising to me. Materials (oil) and labor rates and much higher than 5-7 years ago in general, but this just seems like these prices are way high.

I know, "pay to play", but this just is beyond expectations. I only do about 2,500 miles per year, so I guess I have to factor in the frequency (1x per year) of the oil changes so that lessens the shock a little.

P.S. Can't wait to find out what the charge will be for the CEL resolution will be that I also have.

That's ridiculous! I did my O/F last year. I've done other Hondas that were not as straightforward. Haven't done the transmission oil myself yet. Doesn't look particularly tough.

The transmission oil change is more fussy than the engine oil change just because of the need to use a funnel and tube for the refill. The oil does not drain nicely out of the gear box so there is usually more clean up. Still, it is less than 1 hour for an experienced tech.

Dealership charge- out labor rates here are in the $160 - $180 Cdn $ / hour range. I expect US charge out rates must be around $120 - $130 US$. Some dealerships apply huge mark-ups on the price of parts that they supply for work done in the shop. Their quoted prices for both services seem excessive for the work being carried out even if their labor rate is at the top end and the parts mark up is generous.

If you have another service option that is easily available I might be inclined to take it. If not, I might be inclined to go back and ask for the breakdown of the estimate. If they don't want to provide that detail, I really would look hard for other service options.

Most dealerships charge a flat rate of about 0.5 hr just to plug the scanner in and read the error codes so you can figure out what the minimum charge is going to be if you take it to the dealership. On the NSX, you can trigger the display of error codes using the service check connector. It is less convenient than a scan tool because you have to count the blinks; but, costs less than 0.05$ for the cost of a bent paper clip to use as the service check tool. You will need the 97+ service manual to find out what the codes mean (available in the Prime Library). After replacing my coolant hoses and coolant, my 2000 popped a CEL while I was doing the test drive to check that everything was fine. I turned around and headed back home and used a paper clip to retrieve the diagnostic code. It was a rear knock sensor failure. The first step in the test procedure for knock sensor failure in the service manual is reset the ECU and then start the engine up and see if the code returns. I did that and my code stayed away. So, do the service check connector thing and the cost of your CEL might be $0. If not, at least you will know what the problem is and may be able to get a sense of what it should cost to fix. Some problems such as Evap system errors can safely be deferred because they do not jeopardize or impair engine operation.

that's insane... the oil and oil filter probably cost between $60-$70.

Thanks everybody for your support.

I sent over to them a copy of my last oil change from Pohanka which was $118 (1 year ago) and they are supposed to get back with me tomorrow. The interesting thing is this dealer gave me one of “estimated cost for your services today” and the oil change was $79.99 and $150 for the transmission service.

If they don’t get reasonable by tomorrow I will share the name. In the meantime, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they will do right.

Appreciate the feedback.

T
The transmission oil change is more fussy than the engine oil change just because of the need to use a funnel and tube for the refill. The oil does not drain nicely out of the gear box so there is usually more clean up. Still, it is less than 1 hour for an experienced tech.

Dealership charge- out labor rates here are in the $160 - $180 Cdn $ / hour range. I expect US charge out rates must be around $120 - $130 US$. Some dealerships apply huge mark-ups on the price of parts that they supply for work done in the shop. Their quoted prices for both services seem excessive for the work being carried out even if their labor rate is at the top end and the parts mark up is generous.

If you have another service option that is easily available I might be inclined to take it. If not, I might be inclined to go back and ask for the breakdown of the estimate. If they don't want to provide that detail, I really would look hard for other service options.

Most dealerships charge a flat rate of about 0.5 hr just to plug the scanner in and read the error codes so you can figure out what the minimum charge is going to be if you take it to the dealership. On the NSX, you can trigger the display of error codes using the service check connector. It is less convenient than a scan tool because you have to count the blinks; but, costs less than 0.05$ for the cost of a bent paper clip to use as the service check tool. You will need the 97+ service manual to find out what the codes mean (available in the Prime Library). After replacing my coolant hoses and coolant, my 2000 popped a CEL while I was doing the test drive to check that everything was fine. I turned around and headed back home and used a paper clip to retrieve the diagnostic code. It was a rear knock sensor failure. The first step in the test procedure for knock sensor failure in the service manual is reset the ECU and then start the engine up and see if the code returns. I did that and my code stayed away. So, do the service check connector thing and the cost of your CEL might be $0. If not, at least you will know what the problem is and may be able to get a sense of what it should cost to fix. Some problems such as Evap system errors can safely be deferred because they do not jeopardize or impair engine operation.
Thanks Old Guy. Great detail. I’ll see what I can do.

I just did my trans service. It took about 10 minutes. Literally two bolts and new crush washers. I have a bottle pump tool from Harbor Freight (about $10) that makes filling super easy. Any dealer that charges more than $100 for this very simple job is ripping you off.

Thanks everybody for your support.

I sent over to them a copy of my last oil change from Pohanka which was $118 (1 year ago) and they are supposed to get back with me tomorrow. The interesting thing is this dealer gave me one of “estimated cost for your services today” and the oil change was $79.99 and $150 for the transmission service.

If they don’t get reasonable by tomorrow I will share the name. In the meantime, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they will do right.

Appreciate the feedback.
It is very dishonest/insulting even if they offer the service for free.

Resolution…..

As background, I made an appt with the dealer online 2 days in advance. Showed up and dropped off car, having been assured that only the NSX tech would work on it. Got called about 2 hours later to find out that NSX tech took the day off but my SA would reach out to him to get a “more accurate quote for services requested”. Didn’t think that much of it.

They called me back later in day to let me know about $423 oil change. As per above, I protested and let them know that is outrageous and more like an NC1 rate.

Next day, NSX tech calls me back directly and apologizes, telling me the SA “didn’t tell me what year your car is” so oil change is “very simple and cheap.”

Picked up car yesterday - oil change was $118 and transmission service $192. Standard hourly rate this is all based on is $215/hr from what I can see.

My CEL turned out to be a P0141 downstream O2 sensor, but following Old Guy strategy, we agreed to reset light and see if it comes back. Drove home 15 miles and no code. They didn’t charge me for the diagnosis, which is welcomed considering all the back and forth on the oil change pricing.

Bottom line: all’s good. They treated the car well as far as I can see, proactively offered me a loaner, and NSX tech seems to know his way around Gen 1 cars.

It’s my first time at the dealer (and I’m a dealer service guy), so we had some good talks about future expectations around communication. They listened and ultimately made it right.

Resolution…..

As background, I made an appt with the dealer online 2 days in advance. Showed up and dropped off car, having been assured that only the NSX tech would work on it. Got called about 2 hours later to find out that NSX tech took the day off but my SA would reach out to him to get a “more accurate quote for services requested”. Didn’t think that much of it.

They called me back later in day to let me know about $423 oil change. As per above, I protested and let them know that is outrageous and more like an NC1 rate.

Next day, NSX tech calls me back directly and apologizes, telling me the SA “didn’t tell me what year your car is” so oil change is “very simple and cheap.”

Picked up car yesterday - oil change was $118 and transmission service $192. Standard hourly rate this is all based on is $215/hr from what I can see.

My CEL turned out to be a P0141 downstream O2 sensor, but following Old Guy strategy, we agreed to reset light and see if it comes back. Drove home 15 miles and no code. They didn’t charge me for the diagnosis, which is welcomed considering all the back and forth on the oil change pricing.

Bottom line: all’s good. They treated the car well as far as I can see, proactively offered me a loaner, and NSX tech seems to know his way around Gen 1 cars.

It’s my first time at the dealer (and I’m a dealer service guy), so we had some good talks about future expectations around communication. They listened and ultimately made it right.
Glad it was only a miscommunication and worked out great for you!

For many of us having a good dealer relationship is key. Always communicate , and price is negotiable.

Wow!

$215 / hr is about $290 - $300 /hr Cdn$. That would be a significant motivator to defer maintenance if you can't do it yourself.

Wow!

$215 / hr is about $290 - $300 /hr Cdn$. That would be a significant motivator to defer maintenance if you can't do it yourself.
Yeah. I’m pretty caught up with all major services. Had timing belt, water pump, etc, 4 new shocks, new pax condenser fan, and most major fluids done last year at dealer near where I bought it after my PPI. Also have record of slave and master cylinder done less than 10,000 miles ago by previous owner so unless/until something unexpected comes up, since I’m only at 42,000 miles, I hopefully should be ok for a few years by keeping up with fluids.

I’m a regular driver also (almost weekly), so I keep it exercised.

Yeah. I’m pretty caught up with all major services. Had timing belt, water pump, etc, 4 new shocks, new pax condenser fan, and most major fluids done last year at dealer near where I bought it after my PPI. Also have record of slave and master cylinder done less than 10,000 miles ago by previous owner so unless/until something unexpected comes up, since I’m only at 42,000 miles, I hopefully should be ok for a few years by keeping up with fluids.

I’m a regular driver also (almost weekly), so I keep it exercised.
You should be in good shape. Keep an eye on the capacitors, especially the gauge cluster...

Epilogue ….

CEL returned after 2 days so $890 later (including install), I have a new downstream O2 sensor. Could be confirmation bias, but performance feels improved on takeoff. Never had any idle issue before so no change there.

I bought this 2005 with medium mileage (40,000) thinking that time and lower use would put me a few years out for stuff like this, so does this mean that everybody with an NA1 and the vast majority of NA2 have had this sensor replaced? My car has been a TX and FL car it’s whole life and serviced by Nabil with previous owner, so overall it definitely has not been neglected.

Not complaining - this car is out of this world in all aspects of driving experience. Just looking to the future.

Also, not believing the $215 labor rate was the “going rate” and thinking the rate reflected an “NSX tax”, I spied on the paperwork on the guy checking out at cashier next to me - same rate for his 2014 RDX.

Here’s to no rain this weekend so I can get back to what must be done - more driving.

I had to replace the rear primary O2 sensor on my 2003 three years ago. Had less than 19K miles at the time. It was $364.00 Can. It's the only thing I've had to replace in the 12 years I have owned the car, besides fluids and tires.(knock on wood). I think my friend of forty years. and mostly Porsche whisperer, charged me a hundred bucks, and I gave him an extra fifty to boot. I'm hoping he'll come to the dark side, and realize how much easier it is to work on the NSX and S2000 than glorified VWs! haha

I had to replace the rear primary O2 sensor on my 2003 three years ago. Had less than 19K miles at the time. It was $364.00 Can. It's the only thing I've had to replace in the 12 years I have owned the car, besides fluids and tires.(knock on wood). I think my friend of forty years. and mostly Porsche whisperer, charged me a hundred bucks, and I gave him an extra fifty to boot. I'm hoping he'll come to the dark side, and realize how much easier it is to work on the NSX and S2000 than glorified VWs! haha
Thanks. Good info. I am mentally prepared for the CCM, the radio static issues, the capacitor on gauges issue and the host of other things that will come up, just hoping I get a few years of quiet “fluids and filters” maintenance years before those things pop up.

Some of this stuff is ultimately annoyance and the car is so fun to drive that I’ll just deal with it as it comes.

Thanks. Good info. I am mentally prepared for the CCM, the radio static issues, the capacitor on gauges issue and the host of other things that will come up, just hoping I get a few years of quiet “fluids and filters” maintenance years before those things pop up.

Some of this stuff is ultimately annoyance and the car is so fun to drive that I’ll just deal with it as it comes.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the capacitor issues. The discontinuing of parts is likely to be a major problem going forward. Honda should take a look at how some other manufacturers support their aging vehicles. It could well be the main reason I get rid of the car sooner than I'd like. Not everybody wants to pay crazy money to ship a car to a "refresh center."

Above four posts followed closely, plus near and dear to me. O2 sensors. Yep, seems the 20002-2005 are susceptible to replacing these boogers at 38K-53K miles or so - from personal experience.

Upstream (primary) and downstream (secondary) O2 sensors = pre-cat and post cat. On both sides - front bank and rear bank. (Disclaimer: No one will ever mistake me for a mechanic.)

Anyway, first for us was the rear bank primary on our 2005 LBBP at ~ 49K miles.
Then our 2004 IOP at ~46K miles (also rear primary).
Then a rear secondary (downstream, below cat) on the '05.

Buy these from SOS in pairs - you'll likely need them.

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...s/ngk-ntk-factory-replacement-o2-sensors.html

Epilogue ….

CEL returned after 2 days so $890 later (including install), I have a new downstream O2 sensor. Could be confirmation bias, but performance feels improved on takeoff. Never had any idle issue before so no change there.

I bought this 2005 with medium mileage (40,000) thinking that time and lower use would put me a few years out for stuff like this, so does this mean that everybody with an NA1 and the vast majority of NA2 have had this sensor replaced? My car has been a TX and FL car it’s whole life and serviced by Nabil with previous owner, so overall it definitely has not been neglected.

Not complaining - this car is out of this world in all aspects of driving experience. Just looking to the future.

Also, not believing the $215 labor rate was the “going rate” and thinking the rate reflected an “NSX tax”, I spied on the paperwork on the guy checking out at cashier next to me - same rate for his 2014 RDX.

Here’s to no rain this weekend so I can get back to what must be done - more driving.

DA I figured that was what was going on with your CEL.
Regarding labor rate - I have been utilizing a Honda dealership's lead mechanic for the past 3 years for our NSX work. Very satisfied. I have learned from him/his service managers that corporate is pushing their Honda dealership labor rate to $225-250 per hour. Seems outrageous to me!

Now, as you say, MORE DRIVING!

Thanks everybody. Learned something from your feedback, my first dealer experience and the fact that 2005 has something different about the upstream O2 based on what I see on the SOS listing.

And yes.... now back to driving.

Back