• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Added 2013 GTR to the stable

Well folks, I was waiting for the New NSX but wasn't happy with the direction Honda is going these days. If I'm buying a sports car, I could care less about gas mileage and being green and responsible. If I wanted green I would buy a PRIUS, LEAF, or an INSIGHT. Somehow I'm starting to see Honda as the U.S.Government. WE WILL TELL YOU what is good for you and the environment. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for preserving mother earth and keeping the air clean, but ULEV2 is good enough for a sports car. :wink: So I bought a 2013 GTR Deep Blue Pearl.

Nissan in my opinion is the only Japanese car company left that still sticks to the performance crowd and caters to sport enthusiast. The GT-R program gets better and better every year. I wish Honda had the same conviction. Honda needs a Mizuno.

Okay now I'm gonna emphasize on the cars.

GTR Pros

Acceleration. Acceleration is BRUTAL. I was cruising the highway at 75 and punched it, 1.5 seconds later I'm at 130. Had to brake very quickly. I've never driven a car that I had to break once I hit the accelerator.

Handling. The car handles very nicely. Corner entry, Exit entry, it just grips, grips, grips, and did I say grip?

Modern Amenities. Bluetooth phone, Nav, DVD, Sat Radio, Voice Command, Backup Camera. etc...

GTR Cons.

Looks. The car physically exterior wise is not sexy at all. It looks very aggressive in person, but it's not pretty. She's the fat girl that protects the pretty ones at the clubs. :biggrin: Based on her past performance, she's likely to knock you out with a one hitter quitter. :wink:

Seats. Here is where I was kind of surprised. In pictures the seats look quite large, but in reality its small in the shoulder room area. The NSX seats are much more comfortable. The NSX seat is inviting as it hugs you while the GTR seats feel like a normal car seat even though they are RECARO's. :confused:

Driver communication. The car does everything so well and fast you MISSED the experience. When I'm driving the NSX I love how it feels when cornering, going around a rotary I'm like yoohooo. In the GTR I go around the rotary so fast, I look in the rear view mirror and I'm like holy sh*t, I was back there? So I prefer the NSX driving dynamics much much more.

Suspension. Unless you have the suspension in "Comfort Mode" the ride is harsh AND bouncy in some circumstances. On normal roads its quite smooth, but not so good roads :mad:.

Transmission. This thing should have a six speed. The dual clutch, if left in NORMAL or SAVE shifts slow but smooth. If left in RACING, it shifts faster, but it's still slow for my liking. Downshift on the other hand, with the throttle being blipped and rev matched is kind of awesome.

Drivetrain. The car at low speeds feels like it is grinding the SH*****T out of the differential. It's kind of scary and it makes me feel like something is going to break. Dealer told me it was normal during the first 1200 miles.

Attention. A lot of people come up to the car and take pictures without asking while I'm standing there. I don't care, but they should at least ask. When I bought the car, I said to myself, this is different from the NSX, it's gonna blend it traffic. Boy was I wrong. Hey did that Skyline come off the ship?, NO it came off the truck.:biggrin:

Attachments

• NsxGTR1.jpg
    NsxGTR1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 535
  • my2013GTR.jpg
    my2013GTR.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 477
  • my2003NSX.jpg
    my2003NSX.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 369
congrats on your amazing dream garage.

in vancouver right now and gtr's are eVERYWHERE here. they remiind me of aggressive pitbulls; but your fat girl at club analogy is better :)

its funny how you mention driver communication; my porsche buddies are telling me that the new 991 owners are complaining about the same problem. where you no longer feel connected to the road since the technology has made driving so effortless.

couldnt help but notice your cons list is a lot longer than the pros :wink: jk congrates, gtr is a beast!

Thats what I was thinking as well. Perhaps it will take some time to get used to the GTR coming from an NSX.

The 09 I drove had, what I thought was good feedback, but in a very different way than the NSX. You can't really drive it with the same mindset since everything about the car is done differently, and thus behaves different.

Nissan in my opinion is the only Japanese car company left that still sticks to the performance crowd and caters to sport enthusiast.

Congrats on the nice GTR but I disagree with the above statement. I think Mazda supports the performance crowd and caters to sport enthusiasts also. Remember its not ALL about how much horsepower you have and top speed.

Congrats!!! Great combination of cars!

very nice now this is a car I would consider, but I will never faulter from my NSX passion.

very nice very nice

NsxGnx, congratulations.
I drove the 2013 at Laguna Seca 2 weeks ago and could not beleive how good it was. I have had my 09 for 3+ years and despite a few more horses mine has, I thought the 2013 was truly phenomenal, enough to make me think of trading up.

I am glad another NSX owner gets to appreciate a completely different experience, far superior to the 22 years old NSX that we so dearly love.

Yet, despite being part of most exotics owners clubs and forums since 1978 (yes I am an older guy), I never imagined that my NSX buddies and Primers (I have owned 3 NSX's since 1994) became the most hateful towards the GTR. Most of my Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche friends are curious enough to ask for a ride or to drive the GTR, not one of my NSX buddies (and I have known some for 15 years), has shown any interest in the GTR except than to observe how "ugly" it is.

I have never liked attention on the streets, but I can safely say that the GTR attracts more and friendlier attention than I ever got in my f360, Gallardo, 911 and even the NSX's. I always get the thumb up and intelligent questions.

Enjoy it and don't worry about the noises, they are part and parcel of the experience. One of the best performance cars I have ever owned.

Last edited:
very nice now this is a car I would consider, but I will never faulter from my NSX passion.

very nice very nice

i thought you only wanted a true stick tranny?:redface:

lol gtr is a bad boy indeed

congrats im jelly

the GTR is amazing, but the driving experience is so different from the NSX... takes time to adjust. congrats!

Well folks, I was waiting for the New NSX but wasn't happy with the direction Honda is going these days. If I'm buying a sports car, I could care less about gas mileage and being green and responsible. If I wanted green I would buy a PRIUS, LEAF, or an INSIGHT. Somehow I'm starting to see Honda as the U.S.Government. WE WILL TELL YOU what is good for you and the environment. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for preserving mother earth and keeping the air clean, but ULEV2 is good enough for a sports car. :wink: So I bought a 2013 GTR Deep Blue Pearl.

YOU said it all as above. Congratulations! Super color for a newly-refined super performance package. I paused a moment, wondering how many readers here know what ULEV2 means! Ah, shiny happy Honda. :smile:

Bless you. Many happy miles in performance mode. And thank you for the photos.

Yet, despite being part of most exotics owners clubs and forums since 1978 (yes I am an older guy), I never imagined that my NSX buddies and Primers (I have owned 3 NSX's since 1994) became the most hateful towards the GTR. Most of my Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche friends are curious enough to ask for a ride or to drive the GTR, not one of my NSX buddies (and I have known some for 15 years), has shown any interest in the GTR except than to observe how "ugly" it is.

I really don't see a lot of hate for the GTR on this site. No one doubts its history or the capability in its current version. But what I do see is it getting knocked for its looks and to a lesser extent its weight. In a world where the car competes with Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ford GTs, Vipers, R8s, Corvettes, etc, by most standards the GTR is not a "looker". If you can get past that, great. But visual appeal is part of the overall package, and as an ultimate performance car, a big part.

It does compete with, and mostly beats, some ridiculous vehicles while seating four. Not may manufacturers can say that, and I don't think any here doubt it.

Last edited:
I really don't see a lot of hate for the GTR on this site. No one doubts its history or the capability in its current version. But what I do see is it getting knocked for its looks and to a lesser extent its weight. In a world where the car competes with Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ford GTs, Vipers, R8s, Corvettes, etc, by most standards the GTR is not a "looker". If you can get past that, great. But visual appeal is part of the overall package, and as an ultimate performance car, a big part.

It does compete with, and mostly beats, some ridiculous vehicles while seating four. Not may manufacturers can say that, and I don't think any here doubt it.

If you were a GTR owner, and maybe a bit defensive I could see where you might think there is GTR hate on this board. Lots of comments about it being kinda homely, and the sheer size difference between the NSX and the GTR is another sticking point.

I'm not a GTR buyer right now, but that isn't a statement about the car, it's more about the depth of my pockets. Personally the looks have grown on me. I like them when I see them on the street. The performance numbers are undeniable, and I'd love to drive one if given the chance.

I agree with them being a bit on the ugly side, however I think black GTRs hide lines very well. I read that Nissan purposely made the GTR heavy and piggish, meaning there was a method behind the madness.

Last edited:
I think the R35 looks great, and would be an excellent example of a daily driver/grocery getter. I wouldn't have to worry much about it like the NSX when I go anywhere, especially downtown Sacramento where parking along the street is just asking for a broken mirror, or front/rear bumper dents :cool:

And of course, congratulations on your purchase.

It does compete with, and mostly beats, some ridiculous vehicles while seating four.

True ................. but why would the 3 passengers want to go that fast? That can be pretty scary when you are not driving!!! :eek::biggrin::biggrin:

True ................. but why would the 3 passengers want to go that fast? That can be pretty scary when you are not driving!!! :eek::biggrin::biggrin:

i've taken some in my WRX on the track. its fun.

A $100K grocery getter would be a stretch in my book, I would admire it in the garage and go hunt Ferarris for breakfast during the weekend :biggrin:

I use it as my daily... It's awesome.

I was a big GTR doubter as well... Until I thought about it and drove it...

In downsizing to a single, year round car, rather than having a truck + toy car (a combo I just didn't enjoy) I went from Ralliart to Evo X (both great cars), flirted again with 911 turbo and now ultimately landed on 09 GTR

It's a car that can't be properly appreciated, both visually and viscerally, unless it is in person.

It looks much better than the pictures imply and is much more rewarding than bench racers and the "no soul" types would have you believe.

I'm pretty unbiased about marques and instead judge vehicles individually. The GTR is a winner and I was happy to eat crow and buy it

It's not the NSX, nor the LFA, nor was it meant to be. Nor is it a super evo/STi... It's a super gt like the 911 and it executes very very well at that. I think we may be seeing a renaissance of Japanese performance again and it's great!

Congrats nsxgnx...the 13 is a beast!

Last edited:
Back