• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advan Model 7 Wheels

I'm on the verge of confirming my order for a set of Advan Model 7 wheels for my '01 Coupe through Vic at Discount Tire. The sizes are 8x17 and 10x18, in Gunmetal. A while back, there were several pictures of NSXs with these wheels mounted, but I can only get Justin Hall's to come up. As I recall, Speedemon had some great pictures. Help?

Also, forgive me for another tire question, but I just want to make sure that my tire size selection will not affect gearing or TCS(I guess I'm not confident enough to trust my own calcs): 215/40 front, 285/30 rear. Any thoughts?

TCS should not be affected. However, handling may be affected adversely by those sizes. You are increasing the rear tread width 40 mm from stock, while leaving the front tread width the same.

Also note that members of the NSX Club of America get a member discount from Discount Tire Direct on wheels and tires...

I agree with ken. I have run 215/40-17 and 265/35-18, and am currently running 225/35-17 and 265/35-18.

You might have trouble finding the 225/35, but I think Vic at discount tire still has some s02 pp's that are very good tires. I got mine there I think.

I can't find 225/35s anywhere, but I would sure like to run them if I could. Anyone know of a good source, in case Vic's stock is gone?

Your car will understeer like a pig with those sizes. I suggest something less aggressive in the rear. In addition, measures to decrease understeer bias will help. See this page for some info:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/tiretech/

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 17 January 2002).]

Just wanted to tell you about my experience with Vic at Discount Tire. I found him through all these links online advertising some rims for $1780 a set of 18's. So I call him and he says he only has one set in stock for NSX fitment. He quotes me a price of $1700 because I only need 2 18's and 2 17's. He hurries me off the phone when I had a few more questions. Anyways, I call him back the next day ask a couple tire ?'s and then he says you want them or not? I only have one set. So I tell him I want them. Guess what. The price suddenly jumped up to $1900! I tell him that he quoted $1700 yesterday and I had asked twice to confirm the price and wrote it down. He said I must have hearing problems and went on and on about how that's impossible, it's below cost, blah blah. Anyways, not to discourage you, but I felt that he was one of the shadiest guys I ever dealt with.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Your car will understeer like a pig with those sizes.

Do you mean the sized he suggests or that I suggest? I am assuming you mean DeHaldaswerth but you might want to clarify for his benefit.

Originally posted by ck:
Anyways, not to discourage you, but I felt that he was one of the shadiest guys I ever dealt with.

I agree with you. I thought this guy was a prick, but he has what I wanted (the hard to find 225) Vic was referred to me by someone else on these forums who shall remain anonymous to protect the truly innocent. Our forum member friend quoted me a price, that Vic promptly increased somewhere around the time during the call that he figured out I wanted the tire and had not other options.

Originally posted by ck:
Just wanted to tell you about my experience with Vic at Discount Tire.

Thats quiet funny, i called him for a set of Advan's 7, and he was very helpfull indeed.
I could tell he was sort of impressed that someone from europe called him for a set of rims, at his comments(???). I spoke to him a bit more, and he gave me a good guote for the rims.

Didn't buy them from him in the end, but that's a different story.............

Dutchy

NSEX,

Thanks for the offer, and yes, it would be great to see a few pics. I tried to private email you but apparently did not get through...

I spoke with Todd at Discount Tire Direct today who indicated that Advan went out of business late last year and, as a result, I couldn't order a set of Advan Model 7's. Has anyone else run into this problem? Given the conversation in this thread, it appears that these rims are still available.

He might of been referring to UPRD, Under Pressure Research & Develpement, who I think switched ownership or went belly up. They used to be the offical importers for Advan at the time last year.

Originally posted by justin hall:
advan went out of business? yokohama went out of business????

I ordered only a month or two back, straight from Japan.
Got the wheels fine, from factory stock.

Back