• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

aftermarket tires

What's the best "bang for the buck" tire for 17/18 wheels? I did some research and found out P7000 and SP9000 are both pretty nice. Anyone has any opinion and experience?

I had Nitto 555 Extreme on another car. They sounded like a performance bargain but were horrible -- loud, loud, loud and harsh riding. Not recommended.

I know one NSX owner with SP9000s who is very happy. It's a good, long wearing, quiet, good performing street tire. However, others don't consider that tire as good a performance tire as an S-02 Pole Position.

I had Nitto 555 Extreme on another car. They sounded like a performance bargain but were horrible -- loud, loud, loud and harsh riding. Not recommended.

I know one NSX owner with SP9000s who is very happy. It's a good, long wearing, quiet, good performing street tire. However, others don't consider that tire as good a performance tire as an S-02 Pole Position.

I'm running Bridgestone SO2 Pole Positions on 17/18's and love them. I've put about 6,000 miles on them including three track events at Sebring and they are still alive and kicking. The fronts have at least half the tread left and the rears are probably good for another 1,500-2,000 miles. I run very aggressive suspension and alignment settings and drive my car hard on a regular basis. Sizes I'm running:215/40/17 and 285/30/18. Expect to pay around $225-$245 for the fronts and $335-$355 for the rears.

I use SP9000's and they are very quiet. They handle well, but definitely not as good as stock set up. 17/18 now... 215/40/17 and 265/35/18..... Not a track car so handling is good for road use.. IMO

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

My OEM Yoko rears were bald dead after 5K miles, so I bought SP9000s. Using the stock alignment specs these tires are showing very little wear. I now have 2K miles on them, and they're just beginning to show wear using 35 psi in front and 40 psi in rear. I'll also be able to rotate them for longer wear. By the way, they are very much more quiet than the Yokos, and the ride is smoother. They do not handle as well as EOMs though. This is the trade off.

------------------
NSXY
1995 NSX-T 5 speed, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlap SP9000s

I know most ppl use 215/40/17 265/35/18, but does anyone have experience with 215/40/17 255/35/18? How does 265 compare to 255 for the back tire?

I've had SP9000's 215/40/17 & 265/35/18 and liked them. I am currently using Toyo T1-S in the same size and they are very good. Handling is good and they wear great,I have 3,000 miles on them with no wear showing.

How about the Yokohama AVS Sport? I have them for only about a week. All I can say about it is that it's definitely worthy of the Max-Performance rating at a relative low price! I've used P-zeros, S02s, and MXX3s before. The AVS Sport is definitely a lot "smoother" and quieter than the rest of the group, in my opinion.

Canadian Tire© tires..... Maybe they're not that long lasting but hey, for the $ on the so2's how many Canadian Tire© tires can you purchase, right?
smile.gif

ps. there's one near your house by Baskin 'n Robins.

pps. let's race after you get them installed
smile.gif

Thanks for helps guys.
I think I'll go for SP9000 due to its cheaper price and great wear, but AVS also sounds good to me. Which one is cheaper? SP9000 or AVS?
hey Justin you bastard. You NEVER called me
smile.gif

here's some info I recieved from Tirerack.com concerning the price of the rear tires on my 94 NSX w/ 275/35/18 size tires. SP7000 are the cheapest at $210 a tire. SP9000 are $280. S-02 the most expensive tire out of the 9 tires available that fit my rims, for $321. How do the SP7000's compare to the SP9000 and the S-02's??? I know these responses have included info about the SP9000's and S-02's but does NE1 have SP7000's on their NSX??

TIA,
Chris
<a href=http://members.aol.com/saxweb>http://members.aol.com/saxweb</a>

[This message has been edited by saxguy (edited 21 August 2000).]

I don't think it's fair to compare tires that mounted on different cars. So here are my comparison, based on my experience.
Start out with excellent, very good, pretty good, fairly good, good and bad)

BMW 3 series with:
Michelin MXX3
Good dry, a lot of warning, bad on wet.

Pirelli P700Z
Good dry, very bad on wet.

Pirelli P Zero
Very good on dry, pretty good on wet.

Dunlop Sp8000
Fairly good on dry, pretty good on wet.

Bridgestone SO2
Very good on dry, pretty good on wet.

Dunlop SP9000
Pretty good on dy, pretty good on wet.

On an NSX (92)
Yokohama A022
Very good on dry, fairly good on wet.

Dunlop SP8000
Good on dry, fairly good on wet.

Nitto NT 555
Good on dry, hasn't driven in wet yet.
I tracked this tires about 7 events. With very good results. I don't think they are as good as the A022, but for the price, they're really a bargain and it last long too.

For the records, I was faster (with the NT555) thru the turns then a fully modified 300ZX and Porsche 911 (930) with hoosier on them today at Thunderhill.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 21 August 2000).]

I had P7000's on my prelude before it was stolen..... and they were badass! VERY good dry traction and good wet too... tire wear is OK but i drove them really hard all the time soo they gave me about 17K miles.... which is average for 17" tires... the exact size i had was 205/40/17..... of course that size wont fit on the NSX.. but the P7000's are NICE..

Back