• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Alarm & Keyless Entry?

Hello,

Just join the NSX fraternity and need to protect the new queen at all costs. I've been trolling thru PRIME looking for a good option as far as an alarm and keyless entry system, but haven't found much.

Any recommendations on a good one that's not going to screw with the current electronics? I've heard Viper isn't bad, but anyone have any specific experiences with a specific model ?

thanks in advance,
Jeff

I bought my car and it came with an aftermarket alarm system and keyless entry feature. For me, I can't stand alarms; nobody, repeat nobody pay attention to them in the SF Bay Area. I would prefer no alarm at all.

I just bought the factory Keyless entry for my car and hope to have it installed in the next couple of weeks after the aftermarket is removed. Whatever it provides me will be more than enough.

I am going to put my aftermarket keyless entry on Prime when it is out of the car to see if anyone is interested.

Cairo94507 said:
I just bought the factory Keyless entry for my car and hope to have it installed in the next couple of weeks after the aftermarket is removed. Whatever it provides me will be more than enough.

Were you able to just buy from Acura? I'm having trouble locating the module as their telling me its discontinued (early '91~). I've also had a tech tell me the same. I have a bad feeling that there are only a few floating around as dead stock at some dealerships. Which one did you get yours from? ...and their phone number if you have it. -Thanks in advance.

NSX604 :biggrin:

I suspect that the module for the earlier cars is going to be difficult to locate if available at all. Regardless, I got mine from Ray Laks Honda, Internet sale Dept., 716.826.4109. The cost was $366.65 delivered. Good luck, I can't wait to get mine installed.

Can you do me big favor. I'm a hobby electronics guy. I think I may try and make a hybrid factory alarm (new part adapt to old harness). I need your help if possible. Can you give me the following info:
1. Part number of new module
2. Pic of harness at both ends (please email to [email protected])
3. Pin count (wires in each harness)
Once I can determine if this is possible, I will get the newer module and convert to work with for the earlier models. ...if possible.

OK, no promises, but when we get ready to tackle this, I will try to remember to take all the pictures requested, as well as some install pictures, and post them. Hopefully this weekend.

NSX604 said:
Can you do me big favor. I'm a hobby electronics guy. I think I may try and make a hybrid factory alarm (new part adapt to old harness). I need your help if possible. Can you give me the following info:
1. Part number of new module
2. Pic of harness at both ends (please email to [email protected])
3. Pin count (wires in each harness)
Once I can determine if this is possible, I will get the newer module and convert to work with for the earlier models. ...if possible.

Hybrid factory sounds like a great idea! Will you let us know how that turns out?

John

Last edited:
I have to say - again - but I think the factory keyless is just way over -priced for what it is (no disrespect to my friend Cairo - especially since I'll be helping install his!)
$367 is just insane for something that only opens the doors. I can concur with the point about alarms going ignored & even problems with alarm modules & sirens going off when you don't want them to, but there are after-market door opener modules (with no alarm) that will do the exact same thing as the OEM PLUS give you the added convenience of a trunk-pop from the key-fob also - oh & at at ~ 15% of the outlay.
I think a better plan would be to pick an after-market keyless module & adapt that using some harness adapters, rather than the late model unit.

john1c said:
Hybrid factory sounds like a great idea! Will you let us know that that turns out?

John

For sure! I hope to come up with something that everyone can use. I'll post a complete "how to" w/ pic's if I can pull this off.

A related question -- does anyone have the wiring diagrams of how the factory keyless entry is connected? I don't believe it's in the '91 manual. Are there pages about this in one of the later ones? Could someone send me a copy?

rbirling said:
A related question -- does anyone have the wiring diagrams of how the factory keyless entry is connected? I don't believe it's in the '91 manual. Are there pages about this in one of the later ones? Could someone send me a copy?

So far, I've only seen the color codes and not wiring diagram from the FAQ section. If you can score the wiring diagram, can whoever has it copy me as well? This will speed things up.

[email protected]

A Compustar alarm got installed into my car yesterday. It not only has keyless entry, but the factory alarm was maintained and the Compustar controls it too. My car now has two alarms; hopefully no electrical gremlins show up!

Id skip the factory keyless entry and just get a good alarm.

With my 2 way FM pager Compustar I got a dual zone microwave sensor (proximity) from DEI and a battery back up siren.

I've done my homework on this one. Bad news. After a very thourough search and understanding of how the factory alarm works, I've come to the conclusion that is it cheaper to go aftermarket.

Let me explain. To find a older control unit for our cars can lead anywhere from $600-$1000 if new. (rarely comes up but once in a while it does). You can try and find dead stock but most purist for our X's have probably called every dealership in north america. You might be able to find one overseas.

After looking at the harness and with a basic understanding of the control module, it is a very simple wiring setup (for the electronic geeks - like me -, the relays are already hardwired in the car). Basically everything is wired in our cars, its just that Acura wanted to make a pretty penny selling it as a optional plug and play unit. so... any aftermarket alarm can tie into our factory harness (if the installer know's what he's doing). You can get a great 2 way pager alarm installed for less than $400 these days. ...or go for the holy grail of a - just a keyless entry module route.

...my 2 cents

Cheers,
NSX604

So do you have a wiring diagram of how the OEM unit is installed?

NSX604 said:
I've done my homework on this one. Bad news. After a very thourough search and understanding of how the factory alarm works, I've come to the conclusion that is it cheaper to go aftermarket.

Let me explain. To find a older control unit for our cars can lead anywhere from $600-$1000 if new. (rarely comes up but once in a while it does). You can try and find dead stock but most purist for our X's have probably called every dealership in north america. You might be able to find one overseas.

After looking at the harness and with a basic understanding of the control module, it is a very simple wiring setup (for the electronic geeks - like me -, the relays are already hardwired in the car). Basically everything is wired in our cars, its just that Acura wanted to make a pretty penny selling it as a optional plug and play unit. so... any aftermarket alarm can tie into our factory harness (if the installer know's what he's doing). You can get a great 2 way pager alarm installed for less than $400 these days. ...or go for the holy grail of a - just a keyless entry module route.

...my 2 cents

Cheers,
NSX604

Back