• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Altering odometer concern!

I have been reading on Prime that people want to change the face of their speedometer and selling odometer or something related to odometer. As we all know, our cars don't have the digital odometer. If it is easy to take it out, it would also be easy for the seller alter the odometer before selling his car. I know can check Carfax and other stuff, but it is not always accurate.

So the question is how do I know it is the actual mileage of the car if I want to buy another used car?

I myself wouldn't purchase a used NSX if it didn't come with service records from previous owners that showed consistency. Yes, possible for someone to tamper with an odometer but if you can see that the previous owners obviously cared for the car and kept every single service record then you should be fine.

One would think that Acura dealerships and such would notice such a thing or you can compare it to the odometer reading at present on the NSX and date stamped service records.

All this combined with Carfax would reassure me.

Like other posters said, buy a car from someone that has taken it to the dealer/shop that documents the miles. Also, buy from a state that requires smog cert since they will document miles as well. Lastly, use your gut feeling about the seller. As an aside, digital odometers can be altered but definitely not as easily.

Jeff

always buy a used car with full service document so you can track the mileage at every service to see consistency

I personally also would not buy a car without proper documentation but that's why undocumented cars are generally cheaper. Take the potentially concealed higher miles or deferred maintenance into consideration when discussing price.

The most likely scenario for altered odometers on NSXs is that the entire cluster, which is easy to remove, has been switched out with a lower mileage cluster from a junker.

One of the old-fashioned tricks is to check the pedal wear. If the car is trying to be passed off as an ultra-low mileage vehicle the pedals should show very little wear or look brand new if they were just replaced. However if the car really has 150K but only has 80K on the clock, for example, it would be tougher to judge wear but you still might find brand new pedals which would be the tip-off or extremely worn pedals that would in no way be consistent with 80K.

Last edited:
Back