• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Am I being screwed by a Acura Dealer?

OK, so I recently got a 91 (very happy about it) :biggrin:. The previous owner did some major services before selling it, including valve cover gasket replacement. Before I got the car, I took it to an Acura dealer and did a used car inspection on it. They suggested replacing the valve cover gaskets. They also said if the valve cover gaskets weren't "put in" properly when the other dealer replaced them, it could be the problem. I took the car back to the other dealer and I was told that the problem is with VTEC Solenoid O-Rings and they need to be replaced. Cost is $300.

I don't know much about car but I have a feeling that this dealer is trying to get away with fixing their mistake and try to scoup back as much as they can. It is also possible that the inspection was wrong. What do you guys think?

On the older NSX's the v-tech spool valves always seep or leak oil also you want to check all four camshaft end plugs for oil leakage. You would hope that an Acura dealership could replace the valve cover gaskets with out any problems. The real question is have they spent the time to find what is leaking oil? Any questions on what to check for just give me a call 978-934-9395 Mitch at Mechanics Direct Modifiers

mitchell smith said:
On the older NSX's the v-tech spool valves always seep or leak oil also you want to check all four camshaft end plugs for oil leakage. You would hope that an Acura dealership could replace the valve cover gaskets with out any problems. The real question is have they spent the time to find what is leaking oil? Any questions on what to check for just give me a call 978-934-9395 Mitch at Mechanics Direct Modifiers

Hey Mitch,

Small world, I'm bringing my black 91 to you on Monday for a timing belt/water pump change :)

-Jer

robr said:
when it comes to the NSX, it *IS* a small world, especially in the boston area for service :).

yes.. I just saw that you are in Newburyport.. I love that town; went whale watching out of there last summer :)

-Jer

temp said:
I don't know much about car but I have a feeling that this dealer is trying to get away with fixing their mistake and try to scoup back as much as they can. It is also possible that the inspection was wrong. What do you guys think?
There are dealers, and there are dealers.

There are dealers whose technicians know the NSX and understand all the common problems and the systems on the car. And there are dealers whose technicians rarely do anything more on an NSX than changing the oil.

I think you should make sure that you are taking your NSX to a dealer that understands the car, inside and out. (Or, in certain cities, independent mechanics do the most NSX service.)

I think you should tell us what city you are in (and put it in your profile, so we don't have to ask!), so that we can recommend the most knowledgeable NSX mechanic(s) in your area.

Based on the information presented, my gut instinct on this is that the first dealership isn't screwing you, but that the inspection dealership doesn't really understand the car. This is why I think so: I had to go through the process of finding and correcting the oil leaks on my NSX. If I recall correctly, I ended up replacing the oil pan gasket (twice, two different shops), the valve cover gaskets, and the cam plug seals. (I think the spool valves were okay.) So you can see that it is more of a process of correcting multiple oil leaks rather than having a single leak on an early NSX. The valve cover gaskets may have been leaking before, but since they have been replaced once it is probably not the valve cover gaskets again, but rather the spool valves or cam plug seals (or both) that are still leaking. The oil pan gasket can also leak, but oil leaking higher up on the engine may run down onto the oil pan and give the appearance that the oil pan is leaking, when that isn't the problem. It just might appear so. Which is essentially the same issue with the valve covers - oil leaks from higher up on the engine and the inexperienced tech automatically thinks it is the valve cover gaskets, since it is coming from higher up on the engine. But here again, the valve cover gaskets aren't the problem, it just appears so.

NSXtasy offers good advice; figure out where and who the most knowledgable NSX tech is in your area, whether dealer or independent, then take the car to him to have it evaluated. My gut instinct is that it probably isn't the valve cover gaskets, since they have been replaced once, but rather it is either the spool valve gaskets or cam plug seals or both. Any mechanic knows about oil pans and valve covers. Armed with a new knowledge of spool valves and cam plugs, speak to a prospective tech directly regarding those topics, and if he seems uncertain about these topics or responds with "hunh?", find another tech.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your inputs. After talking to several mechanics, I came to the same conclusion that Jett suggested, an oil leak may have multiple causes. I also located the best NSX mechanic in my area. (I'm in Utah by the way, and I edited my profile). Coming in for the service appointment today. Will update with the result.

Another Utah owner, watch out were up to double digits now!!!! What mechanic did you find here in the SLC valley? We have a NSX Certified Mechanic here locally. He also happens to be a NSX owner. Let me know if all fares out.
Brandon

I bought my NSX a few years ago. Everything looked great and the previous owner had a bunch of receipts from a local tuner. However, my NSX started to leak oil in a few months....the valve cover gasket was not installed right. My tech at the Acura Dealer said that it is fairly common for it to be installed wrong.

Is the VTEC Solenoid O-Rings also called moon seals? I had valve cover gasket replaced recently at the same time painted the cover red.

Mitchel Smith, how much does your dealership charge for a timing belt/water pump change? I have a 98 w/ 24K miles and took the dealership's advice of a standard maintainence...and it cost me a bundle. Just want to know if I just boarded a pirate ship. thanks!

Back