• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another great driver passed the way!!!!!!!!

Saxony, Germany, April 25 — Michele Alboreto, the world-famous 44-year-old Italian racing driver, was killed today in a crash at Germany’s Lausitzring circuit while testing an Audi R8 sports prototype.

Alboreto died today at 5:30 p.m. local time, according to an Audi press release. The release explains that Alboreto was on a straight stretch of track when the car inexplicably went off-course and rolled.

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, the head of Audi Sport, called the accident an "incomprehensible tragedy" and said that the particular R8 chassis had completed thousands of miles in testing with no problems.

"We will do everything in our power to find the reason for this accident," Dr. Ullrich said. "But right now our thoughts and condolences are with Michele´s wife Nadia, his two daughters, and his whole family."

Alboreto began racing in 1976, and moved up to Formula 3 by ’78. He won the European F3 title in ’80, and got his big break into Formula 1 with Tyrrell in ’81. He won his first Grand Prix the following year at Las Vegas, and his second the next year at Detroit, making him a household name in America.

He moved to Ferrari in ’84 and endeared himself forever to the Italian team’s legendary tifosi worldwide by winning in Belgium (’84), Canada (’85) and Germany (’85). He finished second in the World Drivers Championship to Alain Prost in ’85.

Upon learning of Alboreto’s death, Ferrari president Luca Montezemolo said, "Michele Alboreto played an important role as a driver in the history of Ferrari. He was intelligent, and paid a great deal of attention to the technical problems involved in the development of the car. His death has been a hard blow to take, and has filled me with a deep sadness. Michele continued to race, driven on by an irrepressible passion, proving that in our sport, which is totally involving, risk is always around the corner."

After his stint with Ferrari, Alboreto moved through a succession of teams – Tyrrell, Larousse, Lola, Arrows, Footwork and Minardi – before calling an end to his F1 career.

Once he turned his back on the Grand Prix circuit, the affable Italian dabbled in touring cars and the Indy Racing League before finding a home in sports car racing on both sides of the Atlantic. He won Le Mans in ’97 with former Ferrari teammate Stefan Johansson and current Audi teammate Tom Kristensen in a TWR/Joest Racing Porsche WSC95 and has been a fixture on the all-conquering Audi works team since ’99. He won the Petit Le Mans last year, and won the 12 Hours of Sebring just last month.

Formula 1 may have cast him off, but Michele Alboreto was a welcome addition to the sports car scene. His ready smile and availability made him a favorite with fans and media alike.

Ferrari and Family Grieve for Alboreto

20010425-2.jpg

Wednesday April 25th, 2001

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo led the tributes to Michele Alboreto on Wednesday, as the Italian racing driver's family struggled with the shock of his death. Alboreto, a former Ferrari Formula One driver, was killed after losing control of his Audi R8 while testing in Germany in preparation for this year's Le Mans 24-hour race.

Montezemolo expressed his sadness, saying: "Michele Alboreto played an important role as a driver in the history of Ferrari. He was intelligent and paid a great deal of attention to the technical problems involved in the development of the car. His death has been a hard blow to take and has filled me with deep sadness. Michele continued to race, driven on by an irrepressible passion, proving that in our sport, which is totally involving, risk is always around the corner."

Alboreto's family was stunned by the news. His cousin Marisa told ANSA news agency: "You can't imagine what we're going through as a family. We're really distraught. We're all very confused, try to understand. I'm here to be close to the family, to the kids. We found out this evening what happened... Amid this great pain we're trying to sort things out."

Alboreto was also remembered for his role in the trial which followed Ayrton Senna's death at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix at Imola. Federico Bendinelli, former manager and president of Sagis, the firm that runs the Imola racetrack, said: "I'm deeply saddened by Alboreto's death. At the time of the trial over the death of Senna he was an authoritative, precise and important witness, a person of very great moral standing."

Team founder Enzo Ferrari, who died in 1988, had broken one of his own rules in taking on an Italian for his team. Ferrari said at the time: "My feelings for Michele Alboreto are well known. He's a youngster who drives so well, (makes) few mistakes... He's fast, with a good style: gifts that remind me of (Wolfgang) von Trips, who Alboreto resembles even in his educated and serious demeanour."

Alboreto had plans to hand on his great experience to aspiring young drivers. "I have a project to build another Formula adapted to moulding young drivers," he announced recently. "I'm discussing it, but I'm finding some obstacles."

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 26 April 2001).]

Back