• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Antenna

Hey guys, 1st post here, just got my NSX. I was just wondering if any of you guys have modded the antenna. If so what did you use, got any pics.

Cheers,
DEREK

I added a supercharger to mine. It goes up REALLY fast now!
biggrin.gif

Hvae you guys seen that mod that lowers the antenna when you play cds....
I think my antenna might be busted cause it never lowers, even when I shut the car off. Guess I need to get that checked out.

Do you mean change the antenna? If so Do a search. There many posts on this topic. Also search for Smartenna which is a modification to the stock antenna so it will stay down when the CD is on.

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 05 March 2003).]

Originally posted by RoyGee:
I think my antenna might be busted cause it never lowers, even when I shut the car off. Guess I need to get that checked out.

Yes, it should stay down whenever the stereo is off (including when you shut the car off).

Posted in a different thread by me:

I put an aftermarket retactable antenna on my car for $50. Added the smartenna so it stays down while listening to CDs. The reason I replaced the stock antenna was it was broken and I wasn't going to pay Acura $500 to fix it. Couldn't find one at junkyard. I bought a Hirschman antenna through ebay for about $50 and it works great.

I disconnected it. It has one in the rear windshield, I always listen to cds anyway.

[This message has been edited by cpmoran (edited 06 March 2003).]

Originally posted by cpmoran:
I disconnected the it. It has one in the rear windshield, I always listen to cds anyway.

yup. disconnected mine too. never regretted it. i still get very good reception even when it's down.

My antenna definetly seems to be busted. It doesn't go down. it just stays up. Is that most likely a wiring problem? Or do you think I'll need a whole new antenna?
Don't want to get fucked around by the dealership when I bring it in.

Originally posted by RoyGee:
Don't want to get fucked around by the dealership when I bring it in.

You ought to have confidence that your dealership will be able to fix your problem properly the first time.

I would say you need either (a) a new dealership or (b) a new attitude.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
that 10 foot antenna.

The antenna is 30 inches long. And I can't understand why anybody would care how the antenna looks, since it's only when you're inside listening to the radio - probably in motion - and anyone outside the car would probably never even notice the antenna.

To be honest, I don't how the radio is wired. i.e. that the telescoping is only for the AM band. But I would be surprised, because at 30 inches, it makes a perfect quarter wavelength monopole for the FM band. To be exact, a quarter wave at 98MHz is 30.1 inches. Pretty much nailing the center of the FM band, coincidence, maybe, but I doubt it.

Back