• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Antenna Install for 99 NSX

I am trying to replace the OEM antenna on my 99 NSX with a new OEM antenna. The motor is good just need to replace the antenna and I have verified there are no pieces of the old antenna cord stuck in the retraction area. My problem is that when I insert the plastic cord with the notches, the antenna retracts fine up until the sliding metal sleeve piece needs to go inside the metal tube part that sticks up from the car. I have watched YouTube videos and in the videos the sleeve piece fits right in, but my sleeve piece does not fit. I am using the OM factory antenna, part number 39152-SL0-A01. My local Acura dealer tells me there is a special tool and wants to charge me 2.5 hours labor to install the antenna, for what as far as I can tell, should only take 5 minutes. For the life of me I cannot figure out why the antenna sleeve does not fit in the tube. See pictures. The part my left index finger is touching is the part that does not fit in the tube shown in the pic of the car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Is anyone aware if there is in fact a special tool to get the sleeve to fit? I am not talking about the tool to remove the nut on top.

Attachments

• thumbnail_69379001942__0DF3E4AB-25E2-444C-8B09-330EB9A6CCBC.jpg
    thumbnail_69379001942__0DF3E4AB-25E2-444C-8B09-330EB9A6CCBC.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_IMG_4081.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4081.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_IMG_4082.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4082.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 19
I am trying to replace the OEM antenna on my 99 NSX with a new OEM antenna. The motor is good just need to replace the antenna and I have verified there are no pieces of the old antenna cord stuck in the retraction area. My problem is that when I insert the plastic cord with the notches, the antenna retracts fine up until the sliding metal sleeve piece needs to go inside the metal tube part that sticks up from the car. I have watched YouTube videos and in the videos the sleeve piece fits right in, but my sleeve piece does not fit. I am using the OM factory antenna, part number 39152-SL0-A01. My local Acura dealer tells me there is a special tool and wants to charge me 2.5 hours labor to install the antenna, for what as far as I can tell, should only take 5 minutes. For the life of me I cannot figure out why the antenna sleeve does not fit in the tube. See pictures. The part my left index finger is touching is the part that does not fit in the tube shown in the pic of the car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Is anyone aware if there is in fact a special tool to get the sleeve to fit? I am not talking about the tool to remove the nut on top.

I cant tell from the pic, but it looks like the sleeve came out, Did it come out with the old antenna?
These often stick in the mast tube and sometimes have to be collapsed and pulled out, or the motor needs to be removed and the mast tube separated and the sleeve punched out from the opposite side. spray it with a PB blaster or CRC first.

Also make sure you don't have a piece of the old cable stuck in the motor by comparing the lenth or by removing the the cover.

There is no special tool needed other then the socket to remove the nut, I would definitely tell that dealer rep to kindly go F themselves, that's blatant robbery, an antenna mast is .5 an hour tops if there's a problem and the motor needs to come out. Former Acura Honda dealer tech.

Where are you located?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I am located just a bit north of San Diego. The new antenna does look identical to the old one, and they are the same part number as well (I have the invoice from the old one). The sleeve did come out on the old one and is still attached to the old antenna. The plastic cable with the teeth on it is also the same length as the old one, and I did take the cover off the motor to make sure there were no pieces if the plastic gear cable inside just to be sure (there were not).

Thanks @Scrapdog2grand for including what is a reasonable estimate for the labor time to install. I was able to go to an Acura dealer today and they were nice enough to spend about 30 minutes (no charge) with me messing with the antenna but could not get it to fit - same problem I was having. I had ordered the antenna directly from Japan since at the time no dealers were able to order it from Acura. Dealer suggested it might not be OEM even though it appears to be and has the Honda part number sticker on it. So I ordered the antenna from the dealer (they are able to order it now) and will try to install it with them once it comes in. If it does not fit I will return it and then scratch my head more as I am not sure what to do next.

Here is a pic of how it is (not) fitting.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4086.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4086.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 13
Back