• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Antilock light

The dash anti-lock brake light on my '91 (53,000 mi.)came on awhile back and I took it to my local Acura dealer to have the problem fixed. Their diagnostic indicated that the system needs to be replaced at the cost of $5700! These days, I only drive the car to Starbucks on weekends. It's been many years since I last activated the antilock system. Given that I don't use it, I hesitate to spend that amount. What bothers me is the damn light. I did a search and one post suggested pulling the two 20 amp ALB fuses. I did that and both the anti-lock and the traction control lights came on. For the short term, I would like to get rid of the light. Getting the system fixed is a long term consideration (although at my age, 77, waiting too long is risky). Any help?

there is always black electrical tape:biggrin:

There is a thread on here somewhere about which plug to pull and jump to remove the signal light. I don't recall it right now, otherwise I would post it. But, it is out there I am pretty sure.

A number of options:

Have somebody with great flexibility reach under the dash and remove the warning light (this falls into the ignorance is bliss category!)

Completely delete the ABS system. I think you can do this with a relatively small amount of hardware.

http://www.pole2flagracing.com/abs-delete-kit-for-oem-brakes.html

Upgrade to the later ABS system that Honda installed in the NSX. SOS offers a complete upgrade package for $2200. It doesn't include labor; but, I think you could get the install done for a lot less than the all in cost of $5700 offered up by the dealership.

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...em/scienceofspeed-na2-abs-system-upgrade.html

Last edited:
am I the only one fascinated in this discussion between two old guys...............:eek:

am I the only one fascinated in this discussion between two old guys...............:eek:

Reflected in my observation that you need somebody (else) with great flexibility to get access under the dash :smile: . My back and neck go into psychosomatic twinges just thinking about it!

Old Guy
Thanks for the link to the ABS delete kit, looks promising. And thanks for all your informative posts. You are an inspiration to your fellow old guys.

Having had the dash out before, there is no amount of flexibility that will get around to removing that bulb from the back. It would be wiser to remove the cluster and remove the bulb.

I have the delete.. and it causes an ABS warning light.

Funny to see the electrical tape fix mentioned -- that's what I did.

That is because the ABS control unit is probably still connected up. Unfortunately, if you retain your traction control the ABS control unit has to remain connected since the speed signals go from the ABS to the traction control unit. If you are one of those rebels who deletes both the TCS and the ABS, then you should be able to disconnect the ABS control unit which would eliminate your 'light' problem. That said, the ABS indicator light is activated by getting a ground connection from the ABS control unit. If you have the ABS delete kit; but, retain TCS, you should be able to leave the ABS control unit connected and just pull the wiring pin for the ABS failure indicator light. Easier to get at the ABS module to pull the pin than it is to get at the back of the dash!

My preference would be to do the 2000 ABS upgrade. Its the most expensive of the non-dealer options; but, on the up-side it is OEM Honda and in the future will make the car easier to sell to buyers who don't want to get involved with cars that have mystery modifications. It may also preclude potential liability issues associated with selling a car with deactivated safety features (whether or not it is your opinion that those features have any value).

Last edited:
Their diagnostic indicated that the system needs to be replaced at the cost of $5700!

If you have an ALB light on, that means that there is a problem on a part of the ALB system, but certainly not that you need to replace the whole system. You need to know from where the problem comes (fuses, relay, pump, wiring, pressure sensor, accumulator, solenoids, ...)

I would first :

- check all fuses concerning brakes.
- check the ALB pump relay.
- try to activate the ALB pump by bridging the relay (if it doesn't pump, then it is the ALB pump... also check the wiring in case).
- check that the ALB pump puts the system in pressure (if not, the ALB pump is to week or there is a leaking accumulator... also check the pressure sensor in case).
- make a full flush of the system including the solenoid check ( http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm ).

Does your ALB pump run at all? If it runs and times out, all the time, you my have a bad accumulator. You will have to find a used one in order to get the original ALB system working.
If it runs just once in a while, (like every time you take your car out of the garage) your modulator may just need rebuilding:
I have a writeup in the do-it-yourself section:
Ensure you read the entire thread..
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/162710-ABS-ALB-modulator-rebuild-write-up/page2

http://www3.telus.net/public/warshan/Cars/NSX/ABS/ACURA NSX ABS mod rebuld_v06.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful comments. I should have mentioned that among the problems the dealership said they found with their diagnostic is that the pump does not work at all. From what I was told, just replacing selected components of the system will not guarantee it will function again.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I should have mentioned that among the problems the dealership said they found with their diagnostic is that the pump does not work at all. From what I was told, just replacing selected components of the system will not guarantee it will function again.
Hello.
Now I have same problem. Accumulator and anti lock light is on.

Is there a question in this or are you just advising everyone that your ABS is now dead?

Back