• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any suggestions for Cold weather driving on Stock 15"/16" wheels?

I am looking for what cold weather tire options can be recommended for a stock 91 NSX. I wanted to throw all season tires on the NSX so that I can drive it in cold temps....30s-40s. Of course, I don't plan on driving in the snow. Tirerack and discounttiredirect gave me options of Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2 or Kumho Ecsta PA31
Does anyone have any experience with either tire or something better for all season driving. Obviously, when warm weather hits, I will be putting my UHP Summer Tires back on. Thanks for any advice!

If you are switching tires back for warm weather, get winter performance tires. They are better than all-season. And while you may prefer to avoid salted roads, the NSX is great in the snow with the right tires.

If you are switching tires back for warm weather, get winter performance tires. They are better than all-season. And while you may prefer to avoid salted roads, the NSX is great in the snow with the right tires.

I don't plan on driving in the snow or when the roads are salt covered. I don't like the thought of getting all that salt and snow all over the car. I even don't like driving the NSX in the rain...lol. In New Jersey, we have 6 months of not so great driving weather for UHP summer tires. I just want to drive this car! :biggrin: Someone help.

I'm another data point, if you want to drive in the winter in the NE get winter tires...but blizzaks may be too soft...check out tire rack

I used Michelin Xice 3 (15/16) on my NSX and drove it daily in the snow. I was diligent about washing the undercarriage after a big storm (at one of those self-washes with the heated pressure washer wands) and never had any problems with corrosion. Due to the mid--engine design, traction was amazing. Even the ancient TCS system worked well. I think people are missing out on an overlooked aspect of the NSX experience. Drive it! :)

I whole heartedly agree with ^^ Honcho. Been winter driving for 17 years and probably 30k miles and there's no corrosion. The body is aluminum ..the suspension is aluminum .. the exhaust is stainless .. no problems. I've used X-ice as well but any winter tire is probably fine. I normally use 60 series winter tires instead of 50 series for about another 3/4" of clearance .. only tradeoff is it cuts down on turning radius a bit

Back