• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone check book values lately?

Book values are up across the board on every type I checked. This is retail on my car in excellent condition.

c0455afb007edaf845ad0671a60eaab4_zps20719bf3.jpg

But nobody is paying those prices.

I keep an eye in the marketplace here and although there are some higher sales those numbers just ain't happening. Look at the '05 black/camel with 8k that I see listed every 9 days for close to a year now with a reserve somewhere above 75k (after being listed for 88k for a brief period after 3 flips in a month).

Nice to feel like the market is up but in reality only the uninformed would pay those inflated and artificial prices.

I think the prices are consistently going up. I like it. I feel bad from my friend that sold his though and wants another.

I am not concerned with sales and purchases. Book value has an effect on what happens on a loss. No one at the insurance company actually does a thorough market search to give you what your car is truly worth. Book values have a huge impact on how they make their decision. A few years ago they were BELOW what our cars were selling for. That's a problem for someone that experiences a loss. At least now it seems to be less of a problem and more realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

On an unrelated note, Bob can you please remember to approve Anthony at Autovation as a vendor? Thanks.

Only the "man behind the curtain" can effectuate that. I don't have access to that system/process.

you know the wizard of Oz.....wow....:eek:

For insurance reasons I just have a declared value myself and the insurance company agreed upon. That being said I've been keeping my eye on the marketplace and notice prices have gone up a bit, but selling price is always a different story than asking.

Anyone with a cheap good condition NA1 Auto for my wife, get at me, lol. She wasn't sure she wanted me even getting one at first - she's rode in it twice and wants her own now ;) It'll be a bit before we buy another though. I have to get my racecar finished and a shop built come spring time.

you know the wizard of Oz.....wow....:eek:

And yet not impressed by the use of the word "effectuate"?

Re: prices, I would think there is a very strong correlation between asking prices and sale prices...and I have indeed noticed asking prices are clearly trending up. Not that I care.

Does anyone have any feedback on stock vs non-stock, with respect to increasing values? Are stock cars rising more than non-stock for a given year, mileage etc? I only ask because I tend to stay away from modified cars (possibly irrational but none the less it does affect my purchasing decisions), so my NSX is close to stock other than some minor cosmetic changes, and was completely stock when I bought it. Is the ratio of mod NSX's to non-mod NSX in NA known?

Note by modified I mean an NSX that has had some engine changes (eg turbo, SC) and/or aerodynamic changes (eg lowered springs, skirts etc) that affect the look of the car.

There are a lot of things that factor into value. I think maintenance, history, and condition of car factor in more than whether it is stock or not.

+1 couldnt agree more. market in canada is the same.

at least a dozen nsx listed for sale a few years ago/kjiji/craigslist are still for sale, and a dozen nsx's is pretty much half of them listed for sale in the entire country... in canada at least.

But nobody is paying those prices.

I keep an eye in the marketplace here and although there are some higher sales those numbers just ain't happening. Look at the '05 black/camel with 8k that I see listed every 9 days for close to a year now with a reserve somewhere above 75k (after being listed for 88k for a brief period after 3 flips in a month).

Nice to feel like the market is up but in reality only the uninformed would pay those inflated and artificial prices.

- - - Updated - - -

+1.

There are a lot of things that factor into value. I think maintenance, history, and condition of car factor in more than whether it is stock or not.

Yeah, there are a lot of speculative for sale ads out there. I have to admit if someone offered me 32 for mine I'd have a hard time turning it down.
I've been tracking actual (mostly) selling prices on completed ebay auctions for a while now but don't really have enough data to draw a firm conclusion.
I think prices tend to level off or even drop a bit this time of year. But the last couple of years they have rebounded in the spring, based on prime ad asking prices and the valuation tool at hagerty.com.

Guys, I didn't mean to rehash the old "listed for sale versus actual buying prices" thread again. That was not my point. It doesn't matter what ads say nor does it matter what they are going for. This has been discussed many times. My point is just that BOOK VALUES are up. And that matters when it comes to fighting with your insurance company or for a loss. That was my point. They were way low before and they are more realistic now. Insurance companies look at many things and one of the factors is BOOK VALUE.

Guys, I didn't mean to rehash the old "listed for sale versus actual buying prices" thread again. That was not my point. It doesn't matter what ads say nor does it matter what they are going for. This has been discussed many times. My point is just that BOOK VALUES are up. And that matters when it comes to fighting with your insurance company or for a loss. That was my point. They were way low before and they are more realistic now. Insurance companies look at many things and one of the factors is BOOK VALUE.

matters for financing as well. easier to finance a large chunk at nice low interest rates when the bank looks up the book value and finds it much higher than what's being financed.

matters for financing as well. easier to finance a large chunk at nice low interest rates when the bank looks up the book value and finds it much higher than what's being financed.

Yes, good point.

Good, keep going up. I'm marinading this thing for a future sale.

Interesting, What are '91s selling for now a days?

showroom quality, super low miles >$40k
almost perfect, upper 30s
solid car low 30s
needs a bit of work or very high mileage, low to high 20s
needs a lot of work, under 20

rough estimates based on watching the market over the past couple years.
the pricing guide seems pretty accurate: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing

Last edited:
Back