• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone from Tucson? Potential transplant looking for local insight

MJK

Legendary Member
Any Tucson locals here?

I've been asked if I am willing to relocate to Tucson. From what limited time I have spent there thus far, I'm definitely willing to entertain the possibility. The next step is to go out on a dedicated house hunting trip. I'd be working in SE Tucson off the I10, and in asking where the folks in that office live I get as many different answers as people I've asked (NW, N, Vail, Sahuarita). I got to cruise around NW Tucson for a few hours one afternoon last week, but that is about it. From I saw I like the area just north of La Canada & Lambert.

Looking for the usual: good resale, low crime, good schools, decent commute. Subdivisions are fine but I can't stand the neighborhoods where you are packed in so tight your 5 closest neighbors can see what you are grilling for dinner. Not looking for a mansion, just a normal 2-3,000 sqft house on a decent lot. Old homes are fine, but central Tucson is not.

Good time to buy? Best areas to look? Recommended buyer's agents?

PM if you can help and I'll gladly share more details. Thanks!

Hi Mark,

I sent you a PM. Vail would be close to where you are working. I know the area is growing a lot, but I don't know much else. I live near La Canada and Lambert in Oro Valley and love the area, but it would be a long commute for you. There are definitely areas of Tucson that you would not want to live, so feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss more details.

Well, it appears that the 'might be moving to Tucson' is now almost certainly a 'will be moving to Tucson'.

Look forward to meeting the locals.

Heather, I will give a call once I find out a little more on timing. Thanks very much for the help.

Rita Ranch, Vail, and Corona De Tucson are within the SE area of Tucson. They are all bedroom communities with little to offer in regards of shopping, dinning, and entertainment. However, the east side of Tucson is growing and new businesses are popping up all of the time.

Rita Ranch has almost all track housing and doesn't sound like it falls into your list of likes. Both Vail and Corona De Tucson have track housing as well but I see more custom homes and larger lots associated with those areas.

I live in Corona which is about 7 miles south of I-10 on Houghton Rd. Not much out here but homes, 1 convenience store, an Italian restaurant, a golf course and a new ACE hardware. Not even a stop light! There is a new elementary school here though. I live directly across the street from the golf course and its nice and quiet. (just how I like it). The down side is the nearest grocery store store 13 miles away. :frown: Upside, some nice homes at nice prices lately. I think the cost of gas is turning potential buyers away from the commute of living out here.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Thanks Meat.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm not a track home guy - for the same budget I would gladly take a fixer upper, an older home or something in the sticks. I'll be in town this weekend to poke around and will definitely take your suggestions to heart. I have a realtor, but I have been very disapointed with her so far. This weekend is her last chance, and frankly I am expecting to have to excuse myself and do a lot of the prelim work by myself.

So far the list looks like:
Sahuarita, Rita Ranch, & Green Valley - might drive through, but not expecting to like it much for all the track homes
Central Tucson - ruling it out immediately
Marana - seems like a hell of a commute for no reason
Oro Valley - I like it pretty well, except for the commute. I particularly like some of the homes in/around El Conquistador CC. I wish the lots were bigger, at least it doesn't feel quite as packed in.
N Tucson / Catalina foothills - Never seen it. Going to drive through and see what it looks like even though I hear "its expensive"
Vail & Corona sound like they might be perfect for me. I'm definitely going to check them out.

Thanks for the insight. It helps me do the prelim searching online.

Thanks Meat.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm not a track home guy - for the same budget I would gladly take a fixer upper, an older home or something in the sticks. I'll be in town this weekend to poke around and will definitely take your suggestions to heart. I have a realtor, but I have been very disapointed with her so far. This weekend is her last chance, and frankly I am expecting to have to excuse myself and do a lot of the prelim work by myself.

So far the list looks like:
Sahuarita, Rita Ranch, & Green Valley - might drive through, but not expecting to like it much for all the track homes
Central Tucson - ruling it out immediately
Marana - seems like a hell of a commute for no reason
Oro Valley - I like it pretty well, except for the commute. I particularly like some of the homes in/around El Conquistador CC. I wish the lots were bigger, at least it doesn't feel quite as packed in.
N Tucson / Catalina foothills - Never seen it. Going to drive through and see what it looks like even though I hear "its expensive"
Vail & Corona sound like they might be perfect for me. I'm definitely going to check them out.

Thanks for the insight. It helps me do the prelim searching online.

How did the house hunting go this weekend?

Pretty good... I think I will end up in a fixer upper in the catalinas or something a little newer in Oro Valley. I did not like Marana, skipped Sahuarita and only lightly hit Vail. For the short term, I decided to rent an apartment in Sabino Canyon while I am looking. I got a garage, so the NSX is coming out this weekend. I think I am going to road trip it.

I am sure the locals will make fun of me, but here is my 'Arizona initiation' story:

We wanted to 'make the most of our time there' so we met the Realtor at her office early on Sat. We grabbed a starbucks on the way, drank it, and left the plastic cup in the cupholder of the daily, which I just drove out. Light colored, tinted windows... should be good, right? nope. Came back to find that the empty (plastic) cup had MELTED into the the cupholder!? Unbelievable! And the cabbie on the way to the airport said "this isn't hot, it gets to 115-120!"

LATE EDIT:
Now in Tucson with the NSX. Will be in temp living for 6 mos or so but I am now officially local. Keep me posted on meets? I'm in temp living in the Sabino area.

Last edited:
Welcome to Tucson from an old Tucsonan. I had to laugh about your melting experience. Lots of stuff will melt, be careful!!! I also was branded by the interior NSX logo on my old 91 multiple times, ouch. Where in the Sabino area are you? My mom now lives up on the east side at Catalina Highway and Tanque Verde area. Most of the time I lived in the foothills (mom) or central Sam Hughes neighborhood by the U of A (dad) when I was growing up. It's amazing how much Tucson continues to grow and especially the south east side!! It's harder to find a place up in the foothills ($$$) but it can be very nice.

Enjoy the cactus ;)

Nik

Hey, thanks all.

I'm loving here so far! I have not had a lot of free time, but did manage to take a drive up to Mt. Lemmon last weekend in the NSX. Gorgeous!

When's the next local meet?

Mark

I lived there in 1996. I guess it depends. it has everything phoenix has just not the same thing 6x over every three blocks . it has everything you need but it is smaller, cheaper, and IMO its better. A small city feel, plus the best lightning storms in the US. The streets are the same as phoenix. N,S,E,W its all the same, the shopping mall gangsters are absent, at least when i lived there. It seems to be a bit more up-scale than pheonix, lots of resorts and 5-star hotels. Good restaurants great night life etc.......my question is have you went and checked it out?

Last edited:
.....my question is have you went and checked it out?

Yep. Liked it. Moved here. I'm a happy camper.

When's the next AZ meet?

Back