• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone have a car seat in their car?

OSUGrad97,

You do not need to worry about disabling the passenger airbag on your 1991 b/c ... it does not have one. '94 was the first year.

I have a folding child-seat that faces forward and utilizes the existing stock shoulder-strap seatbelt. I bought the seat b/c not only was it a legit babyseat but it also folds down and fits in the trunk! Works well and appears to be safe. I drive my 3 and 5 year olds in my 1991 and have been doing so for over one year. Great having them upfront with you.

OSUGrad97,

You do not need to worry about disabling the passenger airbag on your 1991 b/c ... it does not have one. '94 was the first year.

I have a folding child-seat that faces forward and utilizes the existing stock shoulder-strap seatbelt. I bought the seat b/c not only was it a legit babyseat but it also folds down and fits in the trunk! Works well and appears to be safe. I drive my 3 and 5 year olds in my 1991 and have been doing so for over one year. Great having them upfront with you.

Wrong, 93 is the first year.

No way in hell will the recaro I have fit in the trunk.

more pics of the Recaro Young Sport and fitment problems/work-arounds PLEASE!! :) :D

I am just about sold on it, ... i would just like to see if/how it fits from a straight-on view, and also, How does the child sit in the seat? i.e. leaning back a little/comfortable, or straight up? Does their head roll forward easily when they fall asleep?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sean

more pics of the Recaro Young Sport and fitment problems/work-arounds PLEASE!! :) :D

I am just about sold on it, ... i would just like to see if/how it fits from a straight-on view, and also, How does the child sit in the seat? i.e. leaning back a little/comfortable, or straight up? Does their head roll forward easily when they fall asleep?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sean

Well it sits pretty darn laid back even with the recline knob on the car seat set to upright. Adjusting the recline angle of the nsx seat back or forth really helps to hold the seat snug. How much depends on the carseat back height that you adjust it to for child fitment. It fits perfect in my opinion.

I've used ours now for about a year and a half. No issues what so ever. It's just a bit of a pain taking the cover off to wash it, REAL snug.

When I have to hit the brakes hard, my daughter's head does go forward, but that's to be expected when she's sleeping. Not as bad as when it's in the truck where she's more upright though. Normally crusing around, her head does NOT require a neck brace thing since the head bolsters on the car seat are close together and keep her head from going wobbly when she's asleep. Plus how much the seat will naturally recline in the stock nsx seat keeps her head back. No wobble head like all those other crappy child seats out there.

I've even taken my daughter in the recaro in the nsx from colorado to california in one shot. it's really a wonderful carseat. Worth EVERY penny, especially when it's built high quality and will fit her from 20 lbs to 80 lbs. That's YEARS AND YEARS down the road to out grow. After a couple weeks, my daughter will literally bitch at me if I strap her in a cheap carseat. There really is a noticable difference to the child. VERY easy to use and loosen up to put the child in and snug up when they're in. Smooth, simple, love it. It'll work in every car out there because it's so well designed and the strap down options will literally work for every system out there. It just doesn't like certain clips like I mentioned several posts above. Recaro will also support their product even after warranty period is over. The only problem is, it's HEAVY, like 35 lbs or something. Quite the beast but it's no flimsy carseat either. This sucker has got an aluminum subframe inside the plastic from what I read somewhere.

I bought mine from www.elitecarseats.com

Pricing is all the same from everyone that I looked, it just came down to shipping and this vendor sold it at the same price as everyone, but had free shipping.

how old is the child?

My daughter has been in her recaro from 13 months old when I bought the car and carseat (same week). She was exactly 20 lbs. She's now 2 and half and still fits perfect.

Thanks! :)

yeah, i was looking to buy from that site as well! lol
My son is just over 2 yrs, weighs about ~32lbs. This seat will be the one.

Thanks for the input, gonna go order one now.

Sean

Holy crap, my DAUGHTER is ADDICTED to cars and she's only two lol! She memorized pretty much every single line! I really wish there were steering wheels for kids though. Somethign that mounts better to the seat but safe. A nice momo or something, lol

Anyone that does use his car child seat anymore want to sell it to me for cheap? I want one of these sporty looking ones but wife says they are too expensive.

Anyone that does use his car child seat anymore want to sell it to me for cheap? I want one of these sporty looking ones but wife says they are too expensive.

HIGHLY recommend the recaro I bought my daughter that I listed several posts up. It's been over 3 years & 30k+ miles now and it still works and looks like new (except for the safety label, but that's not a big deal). No damage of any sort to the nsx seats from the car seat. It's all holding up great!

You're not buying it for the name, you're buying it because it's possibly the best/safest child seat on the planet (that most of us know of) that will hold up for years and years. Its worth EVERY penny. The one we have is $250 shipped from the link I listed. we've been using it now for 3 years, that's ~$83/year so far. I can easily see another 3 years of usage for my daughter alone, EASY 3 years since she's petite. So that means ~$41.50/year, or about $3.50/month.

I've bought one of those walmart <$100 car seats as temporary because I didn't want to fly with it, and my daughter threw a fit because she just was not comfortable with it. The cheap ones just do not hold up anywhere near as well. The recaro is 20lb to 80lb range, all in one unit, car seat AND booster. Go cheap and it will you'll be spending money on a cheap quality car seat and a cheap quality booster later on.

My daughter's recaro car seat was the FIRST thing I ordered after I bought the nsx. Everything else can wait. It's worth every penny. Out of all the things I purchased related to the nsx, the car seat is the ONLY thing I've never regretted buying.

BTW, compared to the pictures I posted, my daughter's car seat now goes up about 1/2 way up the head rest. The recaro grows with her.

Last edited:
I have the Sunshine Kids Raidan. Besides being a top rated seat in terms of safety. IT FOLDS AND FITS IN THE TRUNK OF THE NSX!

So when not using it i can carry it. If plans change and I need to pick up my son and I am in the NSX no problems.

10-1697-01.jpg

10-1697-01e.jpg

Ours is Rated 5-65 lbs and has a Steel Frame. They also make one rated to 80 lbs.

Have had it for almost 6 months and have been very happy with it. Attach it with the seat belt and top teether (attached factory anchor behind seat on rear firewall).

and besides... the expensive 'recaro' etc seats are too wide and don't fit into the NSX seat. I use a cheap britax stariser seat, its narrow bottom fits well in the NSX seat.

and besides... the expensive 'recaro' etc seats are too wide and don't fit into the NSX seat. I use a cheap britax stariser seat, its narrow bottom fits well in the NSX seat.

Too wide? The recaro young sport was one of the only ones that DID fit into the seat between the bolsters. Ours fit great. Then again, our recaro was designed as a car seat and booster seat.

The Britax starriser is a booster alone made for older kids. I've tried to put a cheap Graco booster(the regular base only type) and that thing had no chance of fitting. Actually, Graco anything car seat/booster didn't fit in the bolsters of the nsx, I couldn't even close the door if it did!

I still stand behind our Recaro Young Sport because it is excellent in our cars as a car seat and booster seat (18-80 lb range).

As for boosters alone, I can't comment on any of the other Recaro products such as boosters or Britax products. But it seems that the Britax Starriser would be a economically viable option if you need just a booster. Britax is supposed to be a widely available line that is well built also.

I have the Sunshine Kids Raidan. Besides being a top rated seat in terms of safety. IT FOLDS AND FITS IN THE TRUNK OF THE NSX!

Now that is neat. Haven't seen another seat that would fit in the trunk. Thanks for the pointer. I initially thought it was unnecessary (if my kid were somewhere, her seat would likely also be there), but that isn't always the case (if my wife bikes/jogs somewhere instead of driving, no seat)...but I suppose unless she wants to jog/bike around with an empty stroller/trailer after the swap I wouldn't be driving the NSX anyway (need something larger to transport the stroller/trailer).

We have a factory tether on the rear firewall???

You've been using a forward-facing seat without the top tether/anchor? :eek:

Nearly all cars in the US made 1989 or later have places to install such anchors for the rear seats, or for the front passenger seat if no rear seat (like NSX). Many cars before 1989 did as well. EVERY Honda/Acura with this setup uses the same part (82410-SE3-C01). I thought the NSX was nearly alone in requiring you to cut a hole (or remove panel) to install such...but I've found some Lexus sedans that also do not have the holes pre-cut in the rear deck. In 2000 most cars went to the actual tether anchor being installed from the factory (no separate part needed).

Last edited:
You've been using a forward-facing seat without the top tether/anchor? :eek:

Nearly all cars in the US made 1989 or later have places to install such anchors for the rear seats, or for the front passenger seat if no rear seat (like NSX). Many cars before 1989 did as well. EVERY Honda/Acura with this setup uses the same part (82410-SE3-C01). I thought the NSX was nearly alone in requiring you to cut a hole (or remove panel) to install such...but I've found some Lexus sedans that also do not have the holes pre-cut in the rear deck. In 2000 most cars went to the actual tether anchor being installed from the factory (no separate part needed).

Actually for this seat it is recommended that you use the teather if possible when forward facing. It has another shock absorbing piece (Safe Stop) that is used with the straps to minimize the shock, this piece is to be used when they are under 40 lbs.

In the NSX the whole is pre cut 90% from behind just need to pop out the piece. Then I just cut a slit in the vinyl and installed the piece. Very clean and looks factory.

FYI, according to this Consumer Reports article dated Jan 2010, "Two seats, the Evenflo Triumph Advance and the Recaro Signo, cracked during testing..."

You've been using a forward-facing seat without the top tether/anchor?
I currently have the Radian 65SL (same one that NormRD has) in the back of my 996 turbo, and according to the manual page 28 "While Sunshine Kids always recommends the use of top tether, top tether use is not required with Radian".

This seat has a narrow base and fits the NSX.

I also have a Recaro Young Sport for my child since 20 lbs. She is now 5 years old and still fits her great. I'm not sure when you're supposed to replace it, but it's been about 4 years now and zero problems. Only issue I've come across is the cover snaps after long term usage will leave 2 dimples on the side bolsters on the nsx seats. Then again, everytime I take out the nsx, my shorty copilot is always there with me. So it gets ALOT of usage in the nsx

Last edited:
Back