• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone hear of Ammo NYC detailing?

I watched his video with your car like last week. Awesome. Normally I would say $700 is wayyyy too much for an exterior job. However, when someone thats doing the work is so well known, and comes to your place to do it, I'm sure its worth every last penny. Especially since it was the MAN himself, not someone who works for him.

I guess its like going into Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant for dinner, and actually having Morimoto prepare your dinner. Some things are just worth the extra dime. And that's a lot coming from me since I'm super frugal. :)

I have been watching Larry's Drive videos and he gave me so much confidence with the knowledge base that I finally tackled my car! My car is berlina black so I have been scared to even wash it. The Ammo products are fantastic and really spot on. My two favorites are the Skin and Hydrate, well worth the coin. The wheel regimen works great too, the plum cleaner is awesome.
As for the wash in the foam gun, make sure you have your foam gun value wide open. I had my closed off and it did not work well at first. I use the foam sparingly and interchange it every other wash. Larry says "use what you like and use it often". It is all about building layers of protection for your paint. Can't say enough good things about Larry and Ammo.

I wish we could get him to come to this years expo, that would be a great segment to see him demo.

Former NA1 owner here. Just saw this thread on Ammo.

This is my current car on the Ammo regimen...

image.jpg

What is that? BMW? Audi Allroad??

Cadillac CTS-V Sportwagon with 6.2L Supercharged LSA engine (similar to ZR1 Vette). Modified with supercharger pulley, ID850 injectors, cam, headers and full exhaust. Mast heads are coming. ��

Didn't realize they made it in a wagon. I always thought an XLR would be cool but without the stick, I could get myself to buy it.

Former NA1 owner here. Just saw this thread on Ammo.

This is my current car on the Ammo regimen...

View attachment 104861
That looks amazing. The black looks a mile deep. That wagon is one of my favorites. Trying to talk my wife into it but I made the mistake of getting her to test drive it and it scared the heck out of her for a daily driver. My bad, should have just brought it home and that way she would learn to love it.

I am a big fan of the AMMO line, I just spent the weekend going over the NSX with it and my truck. They both look awesome, will post pictures when I return from my business trip. I really like the products and the tutorials on line. My favorite products are the SKIN and the Hydrate. The wheel cleaners are good too but I seem to go through those very quickly. I like Larry's trick of putting skin on the rims, makes getting break dust off a heck of a lot easier.

- - - Updated - - -

That's actually a great idea. Reach out to the event organizers and see if they can pull it off

I talked to one of the organizers about it but he said they had thought of that but got a local guy to do it who is pretty amazing too. I wish we could have gotten Larry to do it.

Oh well!

This is Charlotte after an $8.00 Laserwash. No way in hell anyone is going to get anywhere near her body with a power tool! :)

charlotte_detailed.jpg

Last edited:
What is a LASAR wash? Is that an automatic car wash? I remember reading somewhere that there was an issue with the auto car washes dumping water down the louvers and causing issues.

The DA polishers are pretty idiot proof, they have allowed almost any to get into paint correction.

Absolutely true about the polishers. Larry actually had me do portions of the car to realize that (he also showed me the old polisher and explained why they were so dangerous/touchy). My lesson from him is you don't ever want to do that if its possible to avoid it. No over loving the NSX (as tempting as that may be)! I am still super pleased with Larry's advice and products. You can't beat his video explanations either.

I've only Just started watching Larry's youtube videos about a week ago, I've always been subscribed to 'Drive' on youtube but only just recently got curious about 'Drive Clean' and after watching his videos its made me actually enjoy cleaning my car, Ive always liked doing it and not considered it a chore but now I'm actually trying to set out a whole day when the weather is good to spend purely on cleaning my car taking on some of Larry's advice. I think the biggest think I have taken from his videos is the fact that he uses microfiber cloth's for almost everything, I bought 2 the other day.....I should of bout 10.

Yes, 10 would be better. I probably have 20. Spoke to Larry about cleaning them, liquid detergent is fine. I usually use 3 towels on each wash. 1 for the top 2/3 of the car, 1 for bottom, and one for the glass. Interior would be a 4th and 5th...

Note: the other big lesson is to not wipe the car dry. So some kind of spray wax (Larry has a specific product hydrate for drying the car which I like a lot). Over loving the car is how it gets scratched.

Has anyone tried the technique of using a razor blade scraping tool and glass cleaner together like Larry does to "shave" the windshield before using clay? I think our cars have a plastic laminate coating and according to the Wiki they (and other Honda windshields) can scratch easily but I wasn't aware that there was laminate on the outside of the screen.

I have. As long as you don't get the edge of the razor its not a problem. I never researched but I am thinking the outside is glass. Are you referring to the safety membrane in the middle? You have me wondering now but in any case I have done it with no issues.

I did scratch the life out of my Mazda 6's window with a kitchen scotch bright pad. To this day I can't believe it damaged the window so badly. It was an unusually sharpe piece of scotch bright. I was removing some berries (DON'T DO THAT!).

Summary of my experience on a 1 to 10 scale. 10 being the best.
Quality: 10
Knowledge: 10
Willingness to explain: 10 (I sat in the garage 90% of the time and he encouraged it. Usually people don't want you watching their work. He was pushing you to watch and understand. I honestly believe his primary concern is to educate the owner - Presumable sell some products but he didn't push me to buy a thing. Actually he pushed so little I was surprised, maybe that was his tactic as it worked on me).
Patience: 10 (I couldn't believe how much time he put into the car; like 7 hours).
Cost: 7 (you get what you pay for so this is kind of subjective. I would not say he's inexpensive, but like I said before, you know you are in good hands. I was pleased).

Key Lesson Learned: I am responsible for most of my paint damage (well, we owners are anyway). 90 of the restoration process was removing scratches that I (probably we) put in the car in the washing process. Larry made things quite clear to me. Driving in sandy conditions does not cause circular scratches or frankly most of the scratches (not that I'm saying do that of course) what does is, drying a car with a dry normal towel. Putting a car cover on that is dirty, etc, etc. From now on I am only drying my car with a wet microfiber towel and as soon as I pick some up, his 'hydrate' spray bottle which is designed to help safely dry the car (while wet which was interesting...).

I highly recommend him. His products are a bit on the pricey side too but I'm going to give them a shot.

His website: http://www.ammonyc.com/
Here is the video he had me watch while he was working: http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/basic-car-wash/

Ok, that about sums it up. I'm going to apply and AMMO NYC sticker to the flat glass in back of the driver. Just opposite my NSXCA sticker...

I have seen Mike NSX in person and let me tell you guys WOW!!! I'm very impressed, Two Thumbs up!.

Bernie

Last edited:
I love to detail! Did it for many years. I get excited watching these videos. I went ahead and ordered some detail products he sells online to try out.

I polished my glass like Larry showed on his video and it works great. I did not have to use the razor blade but the clay bar on the window worked wonders.

The hydrate spray has changed everything for me in terms of 'over loving' the car. It makes a huge difference in how the paint looks now. That and clay baring are the huge difference makers in how a car looks. I did the whole process on my wife's DD, a RL that is 6 years old and everybody in the last week has stopped her at work or out with friends to ask her if she got a new car. It took me close to 8 hours to correct the paint but it needed it and I took my time. What a difference! Larry's advice was spot on. Great products as well I have all of them except the leveling compound and jewelers polish, which came out after I placed my order. Maybe next time.

Back