• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone interested in SOS HID-kit

MvM

Legendary Member
I'm thinking about buying the Science of Speed HID-kit for the NSX (list-price US$ 580).
My question is if there are more people interested in this product. If so, it might prove worthwhile to order several kits at the same time to, at least, reduce shipping costs.

Maarten,

You might want to check with the APK (RDW) if you are allowed for the APK to have HID. I remember one geezer telling me that it has to be on youre cars registration.

If it's ok, ill have a set as well.

Mich

I would check before buying HID also. I know in the UK (and probably rest of Europe), cars have to have self levelling lights if they are HID (when they come as OEM).

All cars needed headlight adjustment for some time, but for HID it needs to be automatic.

We do seem to have more rules in the EU about cars than the US.

Kevin

DutchyBlackNSX, j14nsx,

Will have to check local laws concerning this and will get back to you all then. I think all european NSX's have the console-mounted headlight-adjusting-knob.

Originally posted by j14nsx:
I would check before buying HID also. I know in the UK (and probably rest of Europe), cars have to have self levelling lights if they are HID (when they come as OEM).

All cars needed headlight adjustment for some time, but for HID it needs to be automatic.

We do seem to have more rules in the EU about cars than the US.

Kevin

Kevin,

I think (know) you are right.

Gerard

Have sent an email to the RDW (organisation concerning road traffic in Netherlands) and asked about the rules concerning aftermarket HID (Xenon) kits.
Will post their answer as soon as I get it.

I got a reply from SOS that the HID kits are sold in the US for 'exhibition only' but that they have experienced no problem with them so far on cars which installed them for use on the road.
Just hope now that the Dutch RDW will give no trouble.

Duke, question for you. Did you check the rules in Belgium before you bought them or did you have any local law-trouble after installing them ??

Duke, question for you. Did you check the rules in Belgium before you bought them or did you have any local law-trouble after installing them ??[/B][/QUOTE]
Nope, I did not.
Next week my mecanic has to go to the
inspection with my car, we'll see what will
happen.I'll let you know.
As I drive always much too fast, I have been
stopped by the cops a few times, they never
said anything about my headlights.
Duke.

Duke,
I'll be going to Spa in two weeks with some other NSX'es as well. i was under the impression that the Belgium police was much more active with speed-limit checks than before?

Originally posted by MvM:
Duke,
I'll be going to Spa in two weeks with some other NSX'es as well. i was under the impression that the Belgium police was much more active with speed-limit checks than before?

Yes, indeed.
They are really hunting.
They recently placed about 300 'flitspalen'
but only some of them work..they switch the
cameras to a different position almost every
day so you never know which one is working.
Pretty clever, not ?
Beware also for the 'civilian' cars also.
This highway police don't have uniforms anymore, mostly a white T-shirt.
When you pass them at higher speed, they will follow you and try to push you to increase speed. After that they'll show you the blue light.
Pretty dirty, not ?
I'll try to find the site where the positions of the cameras are to your way to Spa.
Duke

Just hope now that the Dutch RDW will give no trouble.

Duke, question for you. Did you check the rules in Belgium before you bought them or did you have any local law-trouble after installing them ??[/B][/QUOTE]

I just had the car inspected today and it passed without any remarks about the HID.
I don't have a switch for adjusting, and I don't have any automatic feature on this.
I did ask the mecanic to make sure the
headlights were not too high adjusted.
Better too low than too high.
So for Belgium it's OK.
cool.gif

Duke

I've now seen the HID-kit that Duke has installed and it really doesn't take up much space and looks very cool (Duke, thanks again for showing it to us at Spa).
I've found a company that sells HID-kits for almost any car and locating a dealer in Rotterdam. After I get my car back I will pay them a visit to check if their kit will fit in the NSX as well. If that would be ok and their price is reasonable compared with the SoS-kit I think I would opt for their kit (keeping service and warranty in the back of my mind)

Hello.

This might not be the answer you are seeking but here it goes anyway.

I couple of weeks ago I hade some contact with Chris at Science of speed about shipping to Europe, it was possible but in the price 580$ no shipping and none of the taxes and toll fees are included so you probably should add 100-200$ before you have the kit in your hand or mailbox.

I bought a 6000K kit from http://www.autolamps-online.com/home.htm for 784€ including shipping with UPS and since they are located in the EU no taxes or toll fees upon that.

This weekend I installed the kit in about 6 h. The kit was complete and made for NSX but the ballast should be mounted with tape so I made aluminium struts instead and polished it therefore the long time.

Hm.. Anyway the autolamps-kit was straightforward to install and with my home made struts I think it’s a very nice install and the function superb. 6000K are very nice.

I have not seen any SoS-kit but I don’t understand how SoS could make it any simpler if the don’t deliver the whole headlamp assembly.

A couple of cents from me
smile.gif

At the time I ordered the Autolamps kit, the
special offer was free shipping.
So I paid about 600 euros all included and
delivered in Antwerp.
My dealer's mecanic installed it in about
1,5 hour. The ballast was attached with the
special tape that was included in the kit.
It worked fine ever since.
cool.gif

Back