• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know why Factor X pulled out of the BBSC deal?

There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around (again). As a customer and vendor to both companies, I thought that I would provide some clarification to this thread.

1. Basch & Factor X made a mutual business decision to work on different solutions for a variety of reasons that it seems they wish to keep private.

2. The NSX that is referred to in this thread belongs to a member of FactorX. The system was pressurized far beyond what the production BBSC is equipped with, leading to pressurization of the crankcase which in turn caused the valve cover gasket to pop out, allowing oil to leak out. I don't see how this is specifically a BaschBoost Supercharger problem as the same would result from overboosting an engine with any forced induction application.

FactorX was working with what they were supplied with, and it is at no fault to these them. While it is unfortunate that it happened, such results are to be expected when testing the limits of the car. Thankfuly, with considerable beta testing, the production kit has been developed around these constaints.

I hope this provides some insight into this thread. Stay tuned for independent dynos to be posted from customers having BBSC's installed now.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]
http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com

Chris,

It doesn't sound to me like FactorX is keeping anything quiet at all. Seems like they went out of their way to post their private business dealings.

-Jim

PS: Thanks for the update. It's certainly better than reading the innuendo and speculation.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 12 June 2002).]

"However, the Dali BBSC car performed fairly well at the OTC last month with no major problems (that we know of)"

What, we rocked! I'm writing a article for NSX Driver now to give the details of the week, what I can tell you here is that the week of racing was meant to stress man and machine; many cars blew engines, some two. We (the drivers) were stoked that we ran well with the pros (more on that in the article). Regarding the SC, running with full on race cars required all the power we could put down realiably. We tried a number of interesting experiments, some just for fun such as dry ice on the intercooler, lots of data collected. Bottom line - we ran very strong, the driver's need more seat time to keep up in this venue, nothing broke at the track and we survived a rollover that could have killed all three of us. I'm pretty sure most of you just want more info than is out at this point, it is coming.

As for the previous puke of a post :)

I agree with your wanting Big power go turbo "but" I don't think I was speaking to you.

And I'm not really concerned if you care or not about what I say.

Just out of curiousity whats the fastest ET you have ever run in one of your cars,since you seem to know so much about the BIG POWER??

You are correct on the ability to harness enormous amounts of hp w/ a turbo though.

:)

------------------

Originally posted by supercharged:
"However, the Dali BBSC car performed fairly well at the OTC last month with no major problems (that we know of)"

What, we rocked! I'm writing a article for NSX Driver now to give the details of the week, what I can tell you here is that the week of racing was meant to stress man and machine; many cars blew engines, some two. We (the drivers) were stoked that we ran well with the pros (more on that in the article). Regarding the SC, running with full on race cars required all the power we could put down realiably. We tried a number of interesting experiments, some just for fun such as dry ice on the intercooler, lots of data collected. Bottom line - we ran very strong, the driver's need more seat time to keep up in this venue, nothing broke at the track and we survived a rollover that could have killed all three of us. I'm pretty sure most of you just want more info than is out at this point, it is coming.

Hey Greg, you guys did well. The car seem to hold up pretty good for the 7 days. So the BBSC issues, seem to be worked out.

I think you guys carry the best graphic over there. Keeping it on the car, or it all came off already?

Anyways, keep up the good work and hope to see you in OTC next year.

Originally posted by BoneZ:
I, just like any of you have opinions, and have seen things with my own eyes that I commented about.

No, you reported what you saw and then launched into a bunch of speculation and innuendo based on what appears to be a personal agenda.

I will say it again: If you have FACTS to report, we are ALL interestd. If, however, all you have is some half-cocked SPECULATION, RUMOR or INNUENDO, please keep it to yourself. I have no affiliation with Mark or the BBSC (I have a CTSC in my car!) - this applies to ANYTHING, ANY VENDOR, ANY PRODUCT, and ANY PERSON.

[This message has been edited by NSX Prime (edited 13 June 2002).]

Originally posted by 4g62bt2c30a:
Ummm...Does this mean the Hondata will be available for other applications now?
Other than forced induction, larger/individual throttle bodies, and possibly NOS, are there any applications that a HONDATA (or comparable) ECU reprogram will improve over the OEM parameters?

Specifically, will it meaningfully enhance an intake/header/exhaust setup on a 3.0L car ??

Is there a Hondata product for OBD-II C30/C32 motors yet ?

Originally posted by 4g62bt2c30a:
Ummm...Does this mean the Hondata will be available for other applications now?

DAMN, that BBQSC comment was pretty harsh....ouch, glad I'm not involved in that one....hehe....
From what I understand this has not been the first.....

[This message has been edited by 4g62bt2c30a (edited 11 June 2002).]

It is for people like this, that I no longer participate on Prime. If 6c5gf4 xhv6t7 had even a clue, the tiniest shred of evidence that there had been an engine fire befoe Jons, he would have rented a billboard already (in addition of course to boring the rest of us here to death) The word inuendo has been used more here than anywhere lately, and no better example of this childishness exsists, than this situation.

For the record, no NSX that I have either worked on, or SC'd, mine or someone else's, has had any engine or other fires. Besides being a purile human being, d6fr5txrg is a pathetic liar. In case anyone is looking for the loophole in my words, let me make it a bit clearer- There has been no fire, no burned parts from heat or flames, no damage outside of an engine anywhere on any NSX that I have worked on. I stand behind my work, and my customers stand behind me.

What HAS happened to my car, and my car only, is that a valve cover leaked, and leaked oil all over the exhaust same as FX reports happened to Jon's car some time before the fire. At the time, I was running somewhere between 10 and 11 psi boost and had done nothing to vent the crankcase. Jon was running almost 9 psi at the time, and was doing so on the oldest beta kit still in commision. (the only beta kits out of commission are the ones I updated as a courtesy to my testers who are also friends. They got the new, better looking parts because I always promised them they would get them as soon as they were available. In reality, ONE beta car had a failure- a bearing in the drive unit of BZ's car. Also, we replaced many parts either because failure seemed imminent, or the part was not robust enough for my liking- like the drive unit itself) More on beta in a moment. Jons car is also running a brand of syn oil I have never heard of, and zero weight at that. I do not know what effect this may have had, but I see in my shop a Honda XXXXX with a valve cover or oil pan dripping oil PRECISELY on top of the exhaust system EVERY DAY, and have never seen or heard of a flash or fire occuring. I can post dozens of pictures of headers with burned oil CAKED on them, and still no flames. In fact, when my own car developed a leaky VC gasket, (at 11 psi with no provisions for 11 psi) I drove it home that way (because I had to) blowing a continuous oil spray right on to the headers, and still no flames. I used approx 1 qt of oil every 20 miles, and still no flames. Jons situation makes no sense as I understand it. After the fire, weeks after in fact, FX was still scheduling my car for more chip work, so I hope no one suggests there is a connection between the events.

(As an aside, the reason for our business split is between us for now, and that is where it shall stay. I would not however assume who made that decision, you only "know" who announced it first)

For the few adults on this list who have a real interest in what beta issues there were, NONE of them had any issues besides mine, which was very predictable and in fact expected even. MJ's car, at 10 psi, developed a blow by problem in one cylinder early on, with an experimental EVERYTHING-
testing new fuel system possibilities, and safe boost / fuel combos. It occured somewhere WAY over 10 psi.

For those who feel sorry for the beta testers, they have been treated pretty well. They paid a fraction of the cost of the retail price, they recieved all the latest updates as they became available, and were compensated additionally with free or "at cost" upgrades such as aftercoolers etc. And, when the real final kit was done, that will be installed as well, for free. Sound a bit much?? Not to me. I could not have done this without them. I spent approx 15k per car by the time all expences are tabbed. Since it is once again the subject of inuendo and rumors, the time and milage of the beta program was huge. The time period for most of them was at least 6 months. The milage varied because use varies, but I tried to pick testers who would drive thier cars, not park them. My car has logged over 20k kmiles, Nicks over 10k miles, and the others between them, another 50k approx.

To recap the beta failures- one engine total,
mine, and one damaged, MJ's. One other had low compression and a host of issues when we started as well as low compression. We overhauled this one early in order to do low compression pistons, which is part of an ongoing beta program. Not exciting or scary enough for some?? Sorry, its all you get.

MAKO- I'm sorry especially if you think this all so "damn grimm". Its pretty damn exciting to everyone involved, with the one notable exception. Jon's car was not only the oldest beta unit around, it is the one off of my car originally. It had at least 5 or 6 k miles on it when I gave it to Jon, because we had no other units available at the time. (the 20k miles on mine does NOT include that kit) He has put a ton of miles on it according to him, and virtually NO PARTS from this kit (except blower and diverter valve) have made it to the production model. IOW, IF, and I say IF the SC caused the fire somehow, it is not the SC currently being sold.

I am VERY sorry to Jon that this happened, in any regard. I am very sorry to ANYONE who got nasty mail from anybody because of their views expressed here (except 6d5fg47s) as we are all entitled to HONEST opinions (I don't believe 6xgth4sdf56g has any of that particular type) and once again to Lud- again the fact that there are people who really like me, and those who really belittle me and what I do, has caused your fine Forum on which you work so hard, to be used as a place for harboring hate instead of spreading goodwill and commarderie to our fellow NSX enthusiasts.

Peace
MB

MB,
I find it unfortunate that along with all the demands and responsibilities that you are obviously juggling at this point in time you have had to devote time to squash the seemingly perpetual inuendo and plain old garden variety "B$" that has been floating around on this board. Having said that, I thank you for taking the time to do just that.

While sitting on the sidelines and patiently waiting for June 24th,(my BBSC install date), I have discounted and for the most part disregarded the din of those uninformed masses who seem to huddle in the shadows and feed on misinformation. I would ask them, what do they have to gain/lose by this behavior? But then I digress.

The purpose of my post is to thank you for your dedication and integrity and to share with you my genuine enthusiasm and that of several other Florida Chapter NSXrs who are looking forward to your arrival later this month. Your hard work will add another dimension of satisfaction to my NSX driving pleasure and for that I say THANKS!

I am active in this community because I enjoy the fellowship, comraderie and common interest of the persuit of speed and excellence in obtaining it. Those who are here for other reasons should probably ask themselves what value that really adds to their lives. Okay, I'll wrap it up here so...flame on boys.
SM

MB Speaks! Good to see so much cleared up, Nice post. But I would say Mark that you need to be a little less sensitive to negative board chatter, even if it is damn lies from utter fools. You know from expreience that poor/wrong information will ALWAYS fill a void when one is present regarding upcoming products. Especially when people are excited about them. No offense intended.

Ok that being said, lets get to the real nitty gritty: When will we see dyno plots from cars that have recieved the "final" BBSC kits?

Also, if possible it would be great if Mark or someone else could document or list the hardware changes that have occurred from the Beta kits (which we know a good deal about) to the Final kits (which we haven't had much info about due to their newness). Not for nitpicking by board jackasses, but just to see where the stock car's weaknesses were during the entire process.

Mark I'm sure that you are running on the ragged edge of sleep thanks to the OTC and all of the pressure for customer installs currently happening. But before banging the Prime boards I would stop and say to myself "hey at least there were more defenders of the kit in that thread than there were haters" and on the net that means a lot.
smile.gif

Best of luck, we eagerly await your cutomer testimonials.

Originally posted by BoneZ:
You're right NSXTC, I suppose the conclusion is indeed an assumption….

.......Also, Ive received a few hate e-mails regarding my post on this thread. I, just like any of you have opinions, and have seen things with my own eyes that I commented about. If you don't want to hear about it, or don't wish to agree with me thats fine, I can respect that, but sending me negative hate e-mails on the topic is flat out stupid, and not necessary.

It's tough to be right sometimes! Im trying to stay objective here, but it’s really tough. As pointed out by many others, bone stock NSX’es also have their share of problems and have caught on fire in the engine compartment. This however does not mean that NSX’es have a design defect.

As many here know, I am a BBSC supporter and beta tester myself. What many people do not know is how that came to be. It just so happened that the 9 PSI Comptech kit I was running developed a faulty hobbs switch (that is the switch that enriches the air/fuel mixture under boost) That led to detonation, which led to engine failure. I had Mark rebuild my motor, and we decided that if we were going to do that, we would set it up for high boost with the BBSC, as the CTSC is only good for so much boost.

Now, you really haven’t heard me going around “warning” people that the CTSC is no good have you? I still think it’s a great product and the guys behind it like Shad are top rate people.

In the abstract, I can understand the need to be concerned if there is a perceived design defect, but this CLEARLY is not the case. Even if just for argument’s sake let’s just say it were the case, who cares, the unit in question was a pre-production model, that had who-knows-what done to it, so that won’t be what you or anybody you know will get in their car. Do you seriously think for even one moment that a guy with Mark’s reputation would ever knowingly sell people a dangerously defective product? You can find every configuration of NSX motor having suffered an engine failure or a fire as many have pointed out above. Anyone who takes a minute to think and ask questions before jumping to conclusions would know better than to spread disparaging rumors about this product in front of the entire NSX community.

Step back just for a moment and look at the big picture. You all realize that essentially all the big aftermarket component manufacturers have forsaken the NSX market because it too small?

We (the NSX community) are blessed with this forum, the lists and the internet. With such instant communications, and access to guys like Mark and the folks beta testing, everybody knows just about everything about what is going on with this project. Take my word that when an outfit like AMG, Neuspeed, HKS, etc, ect. is working on a new project such as this, nobody save for a very small inner circle knows what is going on. I think we are finding out why they have the policies that they do.

I think that those who have jumped to conclusions and disparaged this project owe Mark a BIG APOLOGY. Many should kiss him on the a$$ for all he has done for us, because there is nobody else out there willing to risk so much of their time and personal capital on a project like this that just about everyone else in the industry has passed on!

[This message has been edited by NSXTC (edited 12 June 2002).]

I think that if baschboost.com had gone online (at the end of January as promised), a lot of this SCBS wouldn't have happened. Some friendly forum where we could discuss BBSC with each other, would be nice. It isn't easy being a rock star, is it Herr Basch?

i dont have an opinion on the different sc's and their strengths or weaknesses. i do want to echo THANKS to any vendors willing to develop products for the nsx. considering the number of nsx's out there, and the potential revenue from producing nsx products, im thankful that we have people willing to put their time and energy into providing aftermarket options for the nsx community.

as a money making business venture, id bet most forum members would forget the nsx and focus on civics and accords....

I would like to make it clear that from this point on, anybody spreading unfounded rumors or speculation about any vendor or their product will be off the forums for good and their messages deleted.

If you have FACTS, then everybody is interested. If you have only RUMORS, keep it to yourself. If, as with another vendor who attacked MB a couple months ago, you aren't prepared to back up any claims by laying all the cards on the table, keep it to yourself.

Major,

I think it's really shameful for you to suggest that Mark Basch is in any way responsible for this speculation, innuendo and mean spirited comments.

There is NO possible excuse for the behavior exhibited on this forum. None whatsoever.

And furthermore, considering that Mark was on the receiving end of such BS, I find your "rock star" comments really insulting and they simply fan the flames. I suppose you think that comment will make Mark or anyone else more willing to participate in this "friendly forum."

When I first came into the NSX community Mark Basch was one of the first people I met. As a business owner, entrepreneur and engineer I've met and dealt with a lot of people and I have to say that Mark Basch is one first class individual.

-Jim Anders

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by MAKO:
MB Speaks! Good to see so much cleared up, Nice post. But I would say Mark that you need to be a little less sensitive to negative board chatter, even if it is damn lies from utter fools.

MAKO, You're right I am sensitive. I am sensitive because I work 20 hours a day, 7 days a week (LITERALY) along with my trusted assistant Nick who toils without complaint these ridiculous hours. (aw, poor Mark) I have not taken a day off since Christmas Day until just this past Sunday.

I am NOT doing this because I want to put an SC on every NSX possible, that is the last thing on my mind. I have to do it because it is the only way I can do this project and still take care of my regular business and regular NSX customers. There are people for whom a reliable, reputable tech for their sports car is the most valuable thing they have, outside of family (we can hope) In the middle of all this hectic, crazy schedule stuff, a customer in some dried up, about to blow away coal town has a snap ring issue. I fly out there, planning for a days work on that. I did sell him headers at his request to make the trip at least a bit worthwile
(his comments, his idea). After some fed ex employee decides the tranny package was suspicious, it was sent for inspection etc, for a total delay of three days. I quoted the dude 512. for labor before I left, and after three days of lost time, I cheerfully handed him a bill for 512. labor. I also had to pay 362. to fly a Saab 340 twin prop to get out of town because I missed my earlier travel arrangements, in order to get out of town. Including lost income and expences I did not feel were right for him to pay, it cost me about 3000. to fix his tranny. (Aw, poor Marky) However, I do plan on making it up in volume.(joke) Then, upon arriving home, I get this BS hurled at me. You bet I am sensitive. For those who don't know, I charge the same labor etc for work away from home, that I do at home. And you can think all day about it, and what you think of me in general, but the ONLY reason I do this travel thing is because there people in remote area's that NEED me. (I assume that is why I recieved the NSXCA good sam award last year from our club prez. My anual income from NSX work (which is ALL I do) would approx double if I stayed home, but then I would not be able to help all these people AND the second biggest reason I do this (and its a close second) is all the amazing people I meet on the road. For those of you who do not know Jane and I personally, before NSX travelling started a few years ago, travelling is what we did with every spare minute and dollar we had. The world is a really cool place, and my newly found NSX Friends are a killer group of people.

Sensitive?? You bet I am. I feel that people like vh36xvfy57sdb9+bvh47 have the opportunity to take pot shots at me all day long and are never made to answer for their slanderous behaviour. Contrary opinions? Bring em on; I LOVE a good debate. Hate mongering, rumor mongering, unfounded attacks and people with hidden agendas are in my opinion, as important to this community as the gum on the bottom of a shoe, and just as annoying.

I appreciate your questions MAKO, I wish I had time for all of them right now, but I don't. I wanted just to comment on the sensitivity thing only, but got a bit worked up again. Your comments are true and questions valid, I just don't have all the time I wish I did at this moment.
The comment I forgot to make when talking yesterday about all the reasons my new SC is not a fire danger is that we have 3 million in insurance which covers any mistake we make which has a damaging effect on a car, covered for any design or install related engine damage, plus overall liability umbrella of 2 million.

A list of all the changes and upgrades would be nice, and I will work on that in the eves from the hotel room on this coming road trip.
Anybody who has any burning questipns can ALWAYS call my shop and talk to me. 602 244 8010.I spend about 1 to 1.5 hours a day talking to NSX owners needing help so whats another call or two. Its the main reason I work so late- with 4 engines currently getting low compression pistons, I am doing alot of engine building right now as well, and I don't do that critical during business hours- too many distractions.

As to the dyno's, its up to the customers to do that or not, however, all the cars being done and already done are having their fuel systems converted to the new system, plus a different pulley and new diverter valve which brings the power curve to where the power curve gets aggressive at 3k rpm instead of 5k. It is the biggest change of all in terms of performance, but a small upgrade in terms of time, etc. I wasn't going to mention this now, but it seems it would be dishonest to talk about changes and not mention this. It has changed the very nature of the kit.

You'll see.

Thanx for the comments. Sorry if my initial reaction and comments to you were a bit testy- I missed lunch yesterday. (SG)

MB

Originally posted by NSXTech:
As to the dyno's, its up to the customers to do that or not, however, all the cars being done and already done are having their fuel systems converted to the new system, plus a different pulley and new diverter valve which brings the power curve to where the power curve gets aggressive at 3k rpm instead of 5k. It is the biggest change of all in terms of performance, but a small upgrade in terms of time, etc.

Wow, kickass. That was the one problem with the BBSC that a few friends and I were having after looking at the early plots, it seemed with other SC kits the power came on far earlier, and for day-to-day driving that's important. This is exactly the kind of change that I was hoping for personally, and I bet it's welcome info for a lot of people on the fence.

Thanks for the extra info Mark, hopefully we'll see you around these parts more often as things calm down and the kit goes into full production.

Jim, I was only suggesting that a forum where baschboost, and only pro-baschboost, can be discussed is sorely needed. The product has a following but no hangout.

As for calling Mark a rock star, I was refering to the "God-like" status he has achieved in the NSX world. As we all know, it ain't easy being famous. One needs to be thick skinned, but that is not always possible.

BTW, I am considering Baschboost, and am always interested in what MB has to say. I wouldn't go against his word, although I have never even met the man, just based on his reputation.

And I'm fortunate enough to be meeting Mark for my BBSC on 6/23 in Orlando. I hope not to bore him with the all too common NSX questions. Thanks again Mark for the hard work! It's because of you I can bring a dream/goal to fruition. Your price and reputation is what is allowing me to procede with my cars performance modification. A great big THANKS and looking forward to meeting you! (Do I need to bring the Coke and cigarettes?? : ) David H. in St. Augustine , Fl

I have been in these forums for a while, who is this 4g62bt2c30a guy, and why is he always talking *&^%$#$$ about Basch???
confused.gif
Doesnt he have anything better to do?
I have met both Mark Basch and Mark Johnson and they are both nice people.

Cyan NSX said:

With prototypes sometimes there are problems, but I have heard of Comptech Superchargers also causing engine fires.

#1) Saint says - Hold that thought.

BoneZ asked:

Can anyone name a Comptech car that caught fire due to their supercharger?

#2) Saint says - No, but I can name a Comptech NSX that had internal engine damage.

NSXTech said:

Its the main reason I work so late - with 4 engines currently getting low compression pistons, I am doing alot of engine building right now as well, and I don't do that critical during business hours - too many distractions.

#3) Saint says - Stemming from my second reply above, I am one of the four.

I found this Q&A from another site and thought it was relivant here. It looks like NSX Prime isn't the only place that gets these types of questions. If anyone has time they should check out the site. While it's not nsx material it is impressive.

taken from: http://www.exvitermini.com/
"Q: My mate/next door neighbour/(insert random affiliation) is a mechanic/works for a magazine and he said that your turbos/injectors/(insert random engine parts here) are not capable of making your claimed power.

A: I suggest that you just ignore them and try to find new mates and/or magazines that actually know what they're talking about and have a sound engineering background. One thing I've found in the Australian performance car scene is the proliferation of 'backyard experts' who believe that they know better than everyone else. Basically, if they can't do it - then nobody else possibly could, either. Next time these people make such statements, I suggest that you just take into consideration what cars they own and drive personally, then examine their respective power levels. Because if they're anywhere as good as they think or claim they are - they will be able to easily provide proof. The same also goes for magazine articles - I've read a large number of articles that contain or are based upon factually incorrect assumptions and/or data, then had to listen to people spout the same said garbage as a 'fact' just because it's been published in some magazine. Remember: You pay for what you get, and if that happens to be Au$7.95 for a magazine that contains the ranting of some ignorant wrench monkey, then good for you: Just don't automatically assume that your getting anything more than Au$7.95 worth of engineering talent. "

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 14 June 2002).]

You guy's in FL, how do you know what day your charger is being installed? Have you been contacted yet? I'm leaving mine down there for the week so I guess that is why I don't know yet.
Thank's to MB for putting some concerns to rest that we have all been wondering about.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

No problem with the loaner.LOL
Just don't put to many miles on it. Would like to enjoy it myself after the install.
Seriously though, have you been contacted by MB or Jane yet? Marc Johnson sent me an email saying that we would be contacted by phone and have times set up. I am beginning to wonder if they have my number or not. I assume they do since I have already paid for the unit.
Hey St. Augustine, do you know of any other NSX's around the area? Maybe some that are getting the charger? I only know of 2 here locally and one is selling his so he doesn't drive it anymore. Other is getting ready to turbo & NOS it.
Let me know if you are interested.

Back