• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone other than me in Irenes direct path?

so how did all you guys on LI make out? We have a few trees down but power stayed on.

Mercifully we suffered no damage to the house at all, in fact, our electricity stayed on the entire time. Lots of small branches & leaves everywhere, a landscape tree tipped over and the bunny hutch took a couple of hits, but overall we were very fortunate. I hope everyone is doing OK.

Irene%20before-after.jpg

PA didnt seem to get it to bad at all. Couple of branches and trees down in my area. I had to help my poor buddy with pumping out his basement till 2 am lol. I also wonder if everybody made it though the storm ok.

I had to bust out laughing when the reporter on the weather channel was saying how bad the weather was and how everyone had to stay inside, then a bunch of guys blow past him on jet skis in New York harbor jumping the waves. LOL!

The good news is that pesky dead branch in the tree out back was blown down last night. Also that little pig of a chip monk was blown off the bird feeder this morning. Seems odd as the little bastard has eaten about 50 pounds of bird seed this summer and has a pretty good amount of weight to him at this point.

We are about 1 mile in from the beach. Drove around today to see the carnage. There were lots of uprooted trees down and the boardwalks got trashed, and lots of flooding. Luckily for us we sustained no damage at all. Power stayed on through entire storm. Just lent my friend my generator and all my gas as everything is closed and they lost power at 8pm last night.

Almost forgot....there was actually a bunch of oppurtunist jerk offs at the local Quick Check with a huge box van auctioning off generators in the parking lot. Felt like flattening their tires as I watched $600 units selling for $1200 to $1400 a piece. Karma is hopefully a bitch when their in a bad way.

The eye was 30 mi or so east of me. I had no possibility of flooding at my elevation, but with heavily treed lots in my area, the winds did their job.

I just put our neighbors food in our spare freezer. They had 3 trees go down at around 4 am - one snapped their electric lines, another just landed safely in their front yard, but the 50' tall / 18" diameter black locust is now leaning against the peak of their roof. Fortunately, that locust was very close to the house and didn't gain a lot of momentum when falling.

The only tree I lost was a skinny 20' tall one near the road. But my neighbor's big locust tree that went down is close to our house. So, for today at least, the winds were blowing in the right direction.:eek:

I'm right on the MA/NH coast, about 2 miles inland from the ocean, and maybe 1/2 mile from the mouth of the Merrimac river. We had some decent rain last night, but today it was just a bit windy and some light drizzle. Around 10am I drove down to Plum Island. Frequently during bad storms, the PI Turnpike is flooded and you can't get on or off the island, but there was no issue at all today. The wind there was MUCH worse, a guy with a handheld anemometer was measuring gusts up to 65mph, but other than some sand getting kicked up and the big waves, it was pretty mild. There were even 8-10 idiots SWIMMING!!!

I went back home, got the wife, kids and MIL to come check it out, it was worth seeing at high tide. Plum Island may not be around for my grandkids at the rate it's eroding. I took a couple of videos, they're on my Facebook page if you happen to be linked to me. If not and you want to see them, drop me a PM and I'll send you the youtube links.

We were prepared, but we got lucky. Power flickered a couple of times but never went out.

Last edited:
The power company in the Edison,NJ area just told our friends they won't be back online until September 8th.

The power company in the Edison,NJ area just told our friends they won't be back online until September 8th.

I have no power, PSEG told us Sept 4 :eek:

My buddy lost 30+ boats and $100k worth of docks. My parents house survived the high winds but flooding pushed the house next to thers in onto the oil tank and contaminated ther intire back yard with over 500gal of fule oil. My father is deciding what to do about it as we speek. He is concerned the DEC will come in and condem the place. The spill is about 300 yards from his well. And right now ther is a oil slick on top of our pond. He took a ton of pictures for evidence. Anyone ever have to deal with something like this? I don't want to call the DEC and have them come in and take all kinds of dirt and leave me with the clean up. Or condem my parents $800k+ home my father built with his own hands over someones fcukup. Ideas?

Thankfully I didnt lost power but was prepared if I did.

stayed up late sat night, woke up early sunday to check on the tide. Ended up having water just over my sidewalk and it stopped once it started inching up the driveway. Water to the front door and garages of some neighbors. My mom is without power and she is only 3 blocks away from me.

just glad everyone is safe. car(s) are still in the same place and will bring the NSX home tomorrow. Dry as a bone and staying that way.

Mike (Dynamic-uzed-auto) you should have posted you needed a spot. I have an underground garage that was perfect. had about 15 cars under there for the storm.

Well Irene was a tropical storm by the time it went over us. It was just windy and raining alot. When the storm had gone over us and it was over all I had noticed were a bunch of leaves and twigs on the ground (Kind of like Russ's picture). None of the tree's behind my house fell and it doesn't look like any of my neighbors tree fell either. I spent about 2 hours this morning raking all the fallen debris off of my yard. Since I live near one of the highest points in my area I didn't have to worry about flooding, the water just flowed down the road to the lower areas in town. (Sucks for them but great for me, this exact scenario is the main reason I bought the house on a slight slope out of the flood zones :D) I have to say though I'm loving the weather we are left with after the storm. Felt great outside doing the yard work.

Last edited:
Thankfully I didnt lost power but was prepared if I did.

stayed up late sat night, woke up early sunday to check on the tide. Ended up having water just over my sidewalk and it stopped once it started inching up the driveway. Water to the front door and garages of some neighbors. My mom is without power and she is only 3 blocks away from me.

just glad everyone is safe. car(s) are still in the same place and will bring the NSX home tomorrow. Dry as a bone and staying that way.

Mike (Dynamic-uzed-auto) you should have posted you needed a spot. I have an underground garage that was perfect. had about 15 cars under there for the storm.
Thanks for the offer I'll keep that in mind if any of irene's friends come to pay a visit in the near future, but I got luck this time.

Turns out Sept 4 was optimistic, Im now living in a Hyatt:frown: Hopefully they have a good bar:biggrin:

My buddy lost 30+ boats and $100k worth of docks. My parents house survived the high winds but flooding pushed the house next to thers in onto the oil tank and contaminated ther intire back yard with over 500gal of fule oil. My father is deciding what to do about it as we speek. He is concerned the DEC will come in and condem the place. The spill is about 300 yards from his well. And right now ther is a oil slick on top of our pond. He took a ton of pictures for evidence. Anyone ever have to deal with something like this? I don't want to call the DEC and have them come in and take all kinds of dirt and leave me with the clean up. Or condem my parents $800k+ home my father built with his own hands over someones fcukup. Ideas?

Maybe they can contain it before the water subsides, since fuel floats on top of water there has been no ground contamination as of yet...I would think insurance will step in though. I would call an environmental clean up company and seek their advise but do not give them address as they are then obligated to report incident to DEP

Finally got power back. A little chain saw action got me out of the house and back on the road, only to get run off to the shoulder by a van going wide around a jogger who went wide around hurricane debris. One pothole, two blowouts, a set of roller skates fitted to the car to tow it away and $1100 later I hope to back on the road part 2.

i-KhSCh7c-L.jpg

i-hP59wzH-L.jpg

i-BdmFkBQ-L.jpg

i-WSMQjQg-L.jpg

I got through fairly unscathed; couple of tree branches, etc. But I did lose a dear friend to Irene as he was windsurfing on Sunday on Long Island. I chose not to go as the conditions were past manageable and with all the debris and foul runoff I passed. I have done it before in more manageable storm conditions or just high wind but not torential rain. He and I were ususally the last ones off the water in those types of conditions in the past. He apparently was hit in the face, passed out and drowned. I will miss him. This storm was a real bitch...and I wish my friend had better judgment. :mad:

Tytus

I got through fairly unscathed; couple of tree branches, etc. But I did lose a dear friend to Irene as he was windsurfing on Sunday on Long Island. I chose not to go as the conditions were past manageable and with all the debris and foul runoff I passed. I have done it before in more manageable storm conditions or just high wind but not torential rain. He and I were ususally the last ones off the water in those types of conditions in the past. He apparently was hit in the face, passed out and drowned. I will miss him. This storm was a real bitch...and I wish my friend had better judgment. :mad:

Tytus

Sorry for your loss, where did it happen? news article?

I'm still without power....no real damage just messy on my property. My wife is home with the kids all day so she's starting to unravel a bit. I'm just hoping we get power back by the weekend.

Back