• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone tried HIR headlights

As most of know i have been doing some things to my headlights :biggrin: . I also have been looking into some other bulb options. The REAL HIR bulbs look like a good option for the high beam lights on my car or as a replacement for either bulb on the pop up light cars if someone didn't want to go HID.

They are made in 9011 (9005) or 9012 (9006). All you have to do is make the tab smaller on the bulb (very easy) and they fit the stock holders on our cars. Most of the HIR bulbs that you find are not true HIR. The only company that has the patent is Toshiba so any other brand is not the same.

I am going to purchase them for the high beams.
2bulbs338x330.png

Here are some specs for comparison.

9011/HIR1 65 (watt) 2350 (Lumens) SAE/ECE Halogen Infrared
9012/HIR2 55 (watt) 1870 (Lumens) SAE/ECE Halogen Infrared

9005/HB3 65 (watt) 1700 (Lumens) 90 degree base ECE/SAE axial filament
9005/HB3 +30 55 (watt) 1870 (Lumens) High Efficacy
9006/HB4 55 (watt) 1000 (Lumens) 90 degree base ECE/SAE axial filament
9006/HB4 +30 55 (watt) 1095 (Lumens) High Efficacy
9005XS/HB3A 65 (watt) 1700 (Lumens) Straight base 9005 ECE/SAE
9006XS/HB4A 55 (watt) 1000 (Lumens) Straight base 9005 ECE/SAE

“These bulbs attain light levels 75% to 110% brighter than stock as a result of an engineering process that deposits multiple, yet almost invisible, layers of semi-reflective coating on the surface of a specially shaped quartz bulb. This coating… reflects a portion of the infrared energy emitted by the filament back onto the filament, causing it to glow brighter and emit more light from the uncoated forward portion of the bulb. Although the filament gets hotter, the glass does not. It generates no more heat than a regular halogen bulb, and it draws the same wattage and amperage as the stock [9005 and] 9006 bulb it replaces”

- A standard HB3/9005 bulb produces 1700 lumens of light.
- The HIR1/9011 bulb produces 2500 lumens of light.

Last edited:
As most of know i have been doing some things to my headlights :biggrin: . I also have been looking into some other bulb options. The REAL HIR bulbs look like a good option for the high beam lights on my car or as a replacement for either bulb on the pop up light cars if someone didn't want to go HID.

They are made in 9011 (9005) or 9012 (9006). All you have to do is make the tab smaller on the bulb (very easy) and they fit the stock holders on our cars. Most of the HIR bulbs that you find are not true HIR. The only company that has the patent is Toshiba so any other brand is not the same.

I am going to purchase them for the high beams.

Here are some specs for comparison.

9011/HIR1 65 (watt) 2350 (Lumens) SAE/ECE Halogen Infrared
9012/HIR2 55 (watt) 1870 (Lumens) SAE/ECE Halogen Infrared

9005/HB3 65 (watt) 1700 (Lumens) 90 degree base ECE/SAE axial filament
9005/HB3 +30 55 (watt) 1870 (Lumens) High Efficacy
9006/HB4 55 (watt) 1000 (Lumens) 90 degree base ECE/SAE axial filament
9006/HB4 +30 55 (watt) 1095 (Lumens) High Efficacy
9005XS/HB3A 65 (watt) 1700 (Lumens) Straight base 9005 ECE/SAE
9006XS/HB4A 55 (watt) 1000 (Lumens) Straight base 9005 ECE/SAE

Since you are causing the filament to glow hotter, won't it burn out quicker?

Everything i have read says that they actually last longer than the standard type bulb. They were OEM on some cars including some vipers and john deere uses the lows on some tractors so i think that shouldn't be a problem. It's also used as the high beams for the clearcorners headlights.

This is from the lighting supplier that i am buying from.

Halogen Infrared Reflecting (HIR) bulbs have micron-thin layers of electrodeposited coating on a special spherical bulb envelope. The coating reflects the filament's infrared (heat) back onto the filament, which results in a hotter filament that produces more light without increased power consumption, shorter bulb life, or extra heat production.

9011 (HIR1)The Toshiba 9011 (HIR1) bulb can replace the 9005 and HB3 for special service use and is 69% brighter too!

9012 (HIR2)The Toshiba 9012 (HIR2) bulb can replace the 9006 and HB4 for special service use and is 90% brighter too!

Last edited:
I can't believe no one has tried these. A google for HIR headlight turns up tons of forums where people are changing to these bulbs.

Here are a few pic's i found. The HIR's are on the driver side.
comparo2.jpg

comparo3.jpg

98headlightsss1.jpg

88headlights2xd0.jpg

They are noticiable brighter then the halogen but the bulbs still draw a good amount of current and filaments do burn out faster then HID lamps. HID lamps only draw 35w as opposed to 55w and produce much more lumens then the HIR bulbs plus then burn cooler and come in fancy color temps.

They are noticiable brighter then the halogen but the bulbs still draw a good amount of current and filaments do burn out faster then HID lamps. HID lamps only draw 35w as opposed to 55w and produce much more lumens then the HIR bulbs plus then burn cooler and come in fancy color temps.

My low beams are HID, i am looking to replace my high beams. So i am trying to compare the HIR to the halogen. The HIR's draw the same amount of power (55-60 watt) as the halogen and bulb life is the same but they seem to produce more light. (25-87% more lumens)

Any updates on your install? Do you have a link of your supplier?

Any updates on your install? Do you have a link of your supplier?
I actually got a little sidetracked :redface: since i just got my car back last week. I will order them tonight and post back.

You can find them on ebay for about $25 but i would rather buy from a company so i am ordering them for $29 from Daniel Stern Lighting. Post back if you get them.

Wherever you get them remember that only Toshiba bulbs are REAL HIR and the numbers are 9011 (9005) or 9012 (9006). They should look just like the picture above. They will require a slight modification to the bulb for a exact fit.

The reason i say only Toshiba's are real is because they are the only patent holder (bought from GE) and one of the only companies with the technology to manufacture them.

When the technology was invented, GE named them HIR (Halogen Infrared) and only had two styles (9011-9012). They were the only one producing this bulb size (Not Type) and a few years later this design size (Not Type) bulb was designated HIR which no longer means Halogen Infrared. So the Toshiba are the only "Halogen Infrared" bulbs.

9011_1g.jpg

You can find them on ebay for about $25 but i would rather buy from a company so i am ordering them for $29 from Daniel Stern Lighting. Post back if you get them.

yhst-91565365470012_1961_35659

When the technology was invented, GE named them HIR (Halogen Infrared) and only had two styles (9011-9012). They were the only one producing this bulb size (Not Type) and a few years later this design size (Not Type) bulb was designated HIR which no longer means Halogen Infrared. So the Toshiba are the only "Halogen Infrared" bulbs.

Interesting, I wonder where they got that picture from! :) Hmmm

HIR technology is great, works wonders in both NA1 and NA2 headlamps. We've been using it for a long while here. Daniel Stern is a great guy and a very knowledgeable lighting guru in the industry. We both try to keep those bulbs in stock, although we specialize more in keeping these items in stock for our conversions - but also offer them to locals or customers that chose to buy through us.

Either way, the difference between the GE and Toshiba bulbs is mostly in build construction due to durability issues - both are halogen infrared reflecting bulbs. The Toshiba counterpart is just better (more durable and overall, better quality).

Cheers,
Mike / ClearCorners.Com

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. I looked at them on your site but there is no price. How much are they?

Back