• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"As seen on TV": Tornado fuel saver??

I have learned through several bad experiences that when you see "As seen on TV" labels on a product it't a good bet that it isn't worth buying; or worse, the product can do more harm than good. But I have to ask, has anyone got any true info on this Tornado fuel saver thing? It usually comes on speedvision (oh I'm sorry thats speedchannel now or was it Nascar TV) when they show the product showcase (when they're not showing NyasCaw).

It looks like a tubal section with cuts and grating along the metallic material. You place the product withing your intake tubing (don't know where exactly); and, its supposed to improve airflow. It serves no function for filtering the air. Its design supposedly improves airflow.

BS as usual?

------------------
'91 blk/blk NSX
'96 Green Integra GSR
'02 CBR F4i Yellow/Black
Honda rules

I have a hard time believing it's going to do anything at all. There's no boost in air/fuel mixture, just more more turbulent flow. Save your money.

My humble apologies oh infinite and wise one. Forgive me for I have been out of touch with the mother site for some time now. I will learn to perform the "search" prior to posting. Please accept my offering of 100 goats (we don't have camels in Jamaica) and a case of redstripe.

------------------
'91 blk/blk NSX
'96 Green Integra GSR
'02 CBR F4i Yellow/Black
Honda rules

No problem... but you can buy yourself the Redstripe with the savings by not getting the Tornado.
wink.gif

I'm sure the owner that had to pay for a rebuild of his NSX engine from his "Tornado Fuel Saver" self-destructing would agree that this not a mod well worth it
smile.gif

-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Originally posted by BladesNSX:
I have learned through several bad experiences that when you see "As seen on TV" labels on a product it't a good bet that it isn't worth buying; or worse, the product can do more harm than good. But I have to ask, has anyone got any true info on this Tornado fuel saver thing? It usually comes on speedvision (oh I'm sorry thats speedchannel now or was it Nascar TV) when they show the product showcase (when they're not showing NyasCaw).

It looks like a tubal section with cuts and grating along the metallic material. You place the product withing your intake tubing (don't know where exactly); and, its supposed to improve airflow. It serves no function for filtering the air. Its design supposedly improves airflow.

BS as usual?

The answer to your question is "No." No one on this site has actually tested the Tornado, but lots o people "know" that it doesn't work, because they're minds are made up. There are a handful of these turbulance-inducing devices now patented in the US, all of which enhance air turbulance into the next chamber, which works fine for a carborator, but probably not as well for fuel injected engines, but I don't know for sure. I've had long conversations with professors whose research involves understanding what variables are important for increasing the efficiency of IC engines, and the fact of the matter is that they really don't know very much, other than increased air turbulence enhances the amount of fuel burned and thus, the energy yielded, in carborated engines. Here at NSX Prime I would like to see considerations of scientific data using an NSX or similar vehicle, rather than a bunch of trash talk and belittling of those who are genuinely inquisitive about a simple device.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Originally posted by NSXY:
The answer to your question is "No." No one on this site has actually tested the Tornado, but lots o people "know" that it doesn't work, because they're minds are made up. There are a handful of these turbulance-inducing devices now patented in the US, all of which enhance air turbulance into the next chamber, which works fine for a carborator, but probably not as well for fuel injected engines, but I don't know for sure. I've had long conversations with professors whose research involves understanding what variables are important for increasing the efficiency of IC engines, and the fact of the matter is that they really don't know very much, other than increased air turbulence enhances the amount of fuel burned and thus, the energy yielded, in carborated engines. Here at NSX Prime I would like to see considerations of scientific data using an NSX or similar vehicle, rather than a bunch of trash talk and belittling of those who are genuinely inquisitive about a simple device.

Hm, if it was that easy to get better gas milage, why wouldn't Honda do it from the factory. Espeically the Insight or Hybrid civic...that would be a great new innovation. Actually, why wouldn't ANY OEM manufacturer use it in their engines. Do you think they just haven't figured it out yet? Do you also think Tornado Fuel Saver © has more intelligent engineers then Honda Motor Co.? Don't you think there is also a reason they have INFOMERCIALS?

------------------
jack of all trades, master of some.

Originally posted by NSXY:
No one on this site has actually tested the Tornado, but lots o people "know" that it doesn't work, because they're minds are made up.

The whole premise is that the “tornado” makes the fuel delivery system more efficient by reducing loses from turbulence or lack of, uniform flow versus chaotic. A carbureted engine “might” see an effect if the manifold design is highly inefficient in delivering the air fuel mixture. Also the Tornado does not introduce any additional energy into the system. So unless it makes a significant impact on the efficiency of the air/fuel delivery system it’s a waste of money.

Also look at the years of the engines being quoted for improvements. The change in efficiency over the past 15 years has been major. So yes with an old 80s engine with an L design manifold you probably would notice a difference. For every 90 degree turn you lose pressure effecting many factor ultimately efficiency. Creating uniform turbulence changes the path of the flow so there are less dramatic changes in direction reducing losses. If the path is relatively optimized you’re going to see less impact.

Here’s another way of looking at it. Flush the toilet in your house. See the whirl. That’s the Tornado. Now compare that to flushing a toilet on a airplane. Less whirl but the pressure difference makes it flush much faster without a whirl. Why? External energy was introduced into the system because of pressure differences. So how much difference does the design of the bowl effect the efficiency of the flush? Given little change to pressure I suspect you won’t notice that much difference.

That is about the "only" thing I would NEVER try to put on MYNSX .That stupid contraption cought the attention of an idiot I know (and thats being nice)and upon dyno testing broke loose ,got sucked into the motor and landed on two cylinders and thrashed the hell out of the walls of those walls of those cylinders.Hey go ahead try it.I wouldn't thats for sure.It would make great footage on the show "jackass".
smile.gif
(sorry dude I had to)
smile.gif
Just playin w/ ya. www.mynsx.com

[This message has been edited by NSX Prime (edited 30 October 2002).]

Originally posted by MYNSX:
That is about the "only" thing I would NEVER try to put on MYNSX .That stupid contraption cought the attention of an idiot I know (and thats being nice)and upon dyno testing broke loose ,got sucked into the motor and landed on two cylinders and thrashed the hell out of the walls of those walls of those cylinders.Hey go ahead try it.I wouldn't thats for sure.It would make great footage on the show "jackass".
smile.gif
(sorry dude I had to)
smile.gif

LOL
That is too funny Bill.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by MYNSX:
smile.gif
(sorry dude I had to)
smile.gif

Hmmm...it's only cuz I like your car that I won't take it personal. Besides, you are what you hang with...J/K

Really..wicked looking car. I just was curious about the contraption. My engine is pretty much a virgin and probably wouldn't stick anything in there (well I do have an intake/exhaust).

------------------
'91 blk/blk NSX
'96 Green Integra GSR
'02 CBR F4i Yellow/Black
Honda rules

Tornado Fuel Saver KI-65 4Runner Tested!

My brother was sick and tired of spending too much on gasoline, he came across this ad about the Tornado Fuel Saver. So he decided to buy one on EBAY and see if it really works. I carpool with him to work everyday. He got the KI-65 for his Toyota 4Runner 2002 model. Before he installed the unit, using a full tank of regular unleaded gas, he would get 285 miles before the fuel warning light lites up. Now, with the same full tank of regular with the Tornado, he got 367 miles. I was laughing :D at him when he first bought the tornado and install it over the weekend. I'm no longer laughing at him, because he is saving money on GAS! :( I'm going to order it for my Toyota Highlander and see. If I get the same results, I will try it on my NSX. I will post the results later. Also, he said he felt an increase in horse power, now, that's BS I told him, but maybe it's true. So I will test to see. If it's true, I can get my 96 NSX to perform like the 97+ for only $60! :p

Last edited:
Re: "As seen on TV": Tornado fuel saver??

BladesNSX said:

BS as usual?

------------------
'91 blk/blk NSX
'96 Green Integra GSR
'02 CBR F4i Yellow/Black
Honda rules

Common sense alone should tell you this is total "BS as usual". If it's such a great invention then why isn't it standard on EVERY production car in existence? Do the inventors know something the great engine builders of the world such as Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche don't know?

You'll find similar products like a magnetic device you fix around the fuel line that claim to save gas etc. They were tested here in Germany and had no effect at all.

OTOH german gar mag "auto motor & sport" tested a swiss device you connect to the battery that really helped to maintain the capacity of relatively new batteries and increase it at older ones. The result: longer battery life. They highly recommend it but they don't know how it really works. Maybe some of our swiss members and some scientists can chime in with details.

Here at NSX Prime I would like to see considerations of scientific data using an NSX or similar vehicle
Donate yours.
using a full tank of regular unleaded gas, he would get 285 miles before the fuel warning light lites up. Now, with the same full tank of regular with the Tornado, he got 367 miles.
His he a spokesperson on the infomercial for them?:rolleyes:
I will try it on my NSX
Just be sure to keep about $10k in the bank for your rebuild.

Tornado in my nsx

yeah, i have to admit,. i do have it in my nsx.

it was from the previous owner,, REALLY.. DAMN IT!! Dont laugh.. i have proof.. :p

i have it in my car for about 3 k now, i am too lazy to take it off .. So, i dont have before and after test result.

i have swapped 5 spds to 6 spds, i cant notice any significan fuel improvement.. let alone tornado..

my average for full tank is about 370 miles per tank (combine driving, with occasional WOT)

i figure Tornado cant hurt,, so i am keeping it in.

-jjc.

Re: Tornado Fuel Saver KI-65 4Runner Tested!

ss5153 said:
...He got the KI-65 for his Toyota 4Runner 2002 model. Before he installed the unit, using a full tank of regular unleaded gas, he would get 285 miles before the fuel warning light lites up. Now, with the same full tank of regular with the Tornado, he got 367 miles...

Hardly a controlled scientific test. Besides, I'd wager that his driving habits changed, probably subconsciously, after the install. In fact, it would be surprising if they did not.

I tend to agree with a couple of the more technical posts above. The theory of turbulence as such is not without merit, but fuel injected engines today, particularly ones as highly developed as ours, are unlikely to gain from any such device.

NSXY said:

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

This diatribe brought to you by someone who cannot spell the word "carburetor", "turbulence", or the proper use of "their" (they're).

I had a tornado in my 95 Civic coupe back when they first came out in about 96-97.

No improvement that I remember of. I sold it and when I changed from the stock airbox to a Mandrel bent akimoto intake with K&N filter, I noticied a big difference.

If you purchase the right Tornado for your car, there is almost zero risk that it will disintegrate and get sucked into your engine as there are no moving parts and it fits like a mother in the intake pipe.

Don't think that it is worth the money IMHO.

I could care less about the gas mileage when im driving my NSX, but i am a firm believer that the tornado has a minimal effect on gas mileage with a large effect on consumer imagination.

Gee, I don't even have a clue what kind of mileage I get. Just that the gauge went down a lot faster at the track. :D

Back