• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Australian NSXs - Wheels, Spoiler, Exhaust

Hi All,

A few quick questions regarding our Aus delivered NSXs:

1) Did the Aus delivered NSXs also change wheels in '94? Does the Wheel Tech OEM thread in the Wiki section fully apply to Aus?

2) The plug for the US rear spoilers are on the left. Can anyone confirm that the Aus ones are on the right?

3) Would an aftermarket exhaust that's ok for a '93 spec US NSX fit a '93 Aus NSX? Would the be any difference in the exhaust setups? It seems the aftermarket exhausts don't have Cats?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi All,

A few quick questions regarding our Aus delivered NSXs:

1) Did the Aus delivered NSXs also change wheels in '94? Does the Wheel Tech OEM thread in the Wiki section fully apply to Aus?

2) The plug for the US rear spoilers are on the left. Can anyone confirm that the Aus ones are on the right?

3) Would an aftermarket exhaust that's ok for a '93 spec US NSX fit a '93 Aus NSX? Would the be any difference in the exhaust setups? It seems the aftermarket exhausts don't have Cats?

Many thanks in advance!

1. Yes
2. Ours are the same as the US, the plug is on the left.
3a. Yes
3b. No
3c. The Wiki information is relevant here as well. No exhaust has CATS, not even the OEM exhaust. The CATS are separate on ALL NSX’s and there are 3 different setups depending on what year NSX.

Most guys run the factory cats with their aftermarket exhausts.
You can use test pipes aswell, that eliminates the cats but they are very loud and produce alot of black soot on the rear bumper.
I've gone with a 100 cell high flow cat that is very free flowing and lighter than the factory cats.

Last edited:
Yes all NSX till 93-94 are interchangeable (RHD LHD respectively) later models do differentiate in emissions, and ignition.

Common issue here in europe would be to fit OBD1 parts to a OBD2 Acura, or mixing up exhaust system specs.

IIRC, Australian NSX's head euro spec tailpipes till 01 like in europe, but thats an insignificant detail.

Just one more question, what viscosity does the User Manual for the NSX Engine Oil?

Sorry to ask the question, my NSX hasn't arrived yet but I'm already thinking about it's oil change......haha...

In one of my other babies, I use Motul synthetic and in the other I use Penrite synthetic.

What are yours?

Got the manual, 10W30.

The car has done 75,000kms. So should still be able to use the factory spec viscosity grade?

What brands do you use?

Just did a search in Motul and Penrite........can't find anything.

I've seen a friend uses Mobil.

Last edited:
Doing my searches for fully synthetic oils in the 10w30 viscosity which is for our temperature ranges as per manual.

Nothing for Motul, Penrite.

Shell Helix has one HX7.....says Synthetic technology motor oil....not sure if it's fully synthetic as I remember reading years ago that means a blend.

Mobil 1 has a 10w30 oil but not sure if it's available in Australia?

Royal Purple has one..........

Holy crap, Redline even more expensive.......wow.

Still searching......................

I'll be doing oil changes every 6,000kms......half of the interval suggested.

Last edited:
I've used both and both are excellent. I personally feel that I'm partial to Mobil1 synthetic over Royal Purple because I've used it far more often and it's easier to get here in Canada if you have someone else change your oil for you.

Looks like it's either going to be Mobil1 EP or Royal Purple.

Interested to see what experiences people have of these.

I've used both and both are excellent. I personally feel that I'm partial to Mobil1 synthetic over Royal Purple because I've used it far more often and it's easier to get here in Canada if you have someone else change your oil for you.

Thanks mate. Over here is Aus, we don't have as much choice for full synthetics in the 10w30 viscosity......I believe we don't have Mobil 1 available locally but can get it through some ebay sellers.

It depends on what your planning to do with the car.
Redline is known as the best oil for tracking a car as far as i know.
I'm sure most known brands with the right viscosity would be fine for street use.
regarding my new engine, i will wait and see what oil SOS recommend.

It depends on what your planning to do with the car.
Redline is known as the best oil for tracking a car as far as i know.
I'm sure most known brands with the right viscosity would be fine for street use.
regarding my new engine, i will wait and see what oil SOS recommend.

Nah, she's going to be a weekender. :) Looks like it's going to be Mobil1 for me. :)

Hope to be able to see your finished project, sounds like she's going to go for a strap (or a blast). haha

Nah, she's going to be a weekender. :) Looks like it's going to be Mobil1 for me. :)

Hope to be able to see your finished project, sounds like she's going to go for a strap (or a blast). haha
Advice from my mechanic after pulling down an S2000 engine run with Mobil 1 and finding scoured bores is NOT to use it in Honda engines.

For reasons to use the Honda oil refer to Kaz blog on NSXCGB.

Gday AU NSX,

I've done a bit of searching on NSXCB...................and maybe I'm getting it wrong but it seems Kaz has always used Mobil 1?

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?514-Eng-Refresh-Stage-2-21

No seems I'm mistaken. I read another thread where he was talking about the additives in the Honda fluids and grease where they have been developed specifically for the metals in the honda components. I think it was in the grease in the re packing drive shaft CV joints and honda brake fluid in the ABS. I made an assumption from that he used Honda oil as well.

My mechanic did say that however on pulling down the S2000 motor but there can be many other reasons for scoring the bore nd nothing to say it wasn't done before he started using it.

if Kas uses it then that would be good enough for me!

Good find noisuf!

No seems I'm mistaken. I read another thread where he was talking about the additives in the Honda fluids and grease where they have been developed specifically for the metals in the honda components. I think it was in the grease in the re packing drive shaft CV joints and honda brake fluid in the ABS. I made an assumption from that he used Honda oil as well.

My mechanic did say that however on pulling down the S2000 motor but there can be many other reasons for scoring the bore nd nothing to say it wasn't done before he started using it.

if Kas uses it then that would be good enough for me!

Good find noisuf!

No, thanks heaps for putting me onto that blog. This guy with his extensive background seems to be a perfectionist........will be interesting visiting once in a while.

Hope to meet/see you at a meet soon with one of your babies..............I can't wait to organise one, when my baby arrives. :)

The factory cats rust up easy.
Mine look similar to them.
I've got 100 cell high flow cats arriving soon.
Lighter and more free flowing than factory cats.

Hey Funky do these 100 cell cats come separately where you need it designed into new pipework between header/manifold to exhaust or is it a bolt on replacement with piping?

Cheers,

Michael.

They are a direct replacement for the factory cats.
2.25" pipe for aftermarket exhausts.
I think you can get them in 2" for factory exhausts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251010887134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

check em out on this link

Alot of people say "why get high flow cats when they only give you a few hp, thats not bang for your buck""
But when your cats are 18 years old and not working effeciently anymore and replacement factory cats cost around $2000, the high flow cats look alot more attractive. they are a good alternative if you dont want the negitives of running test pipes.

Last edited:
They are a direct replacement for the factory cats.
2.25" pipe for aftermarket exhausts.
I think you can get them in 2" for factory exhausts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251010887134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

check em out on this link

Alot of people say "why get high flow cats when they only give you a few hp, thats not bang for your buck""
But when your cats are 18 years old and not working effeciently anymore and replacement factory cats cost around $2000, the high flow cats look alot more attractive. they are a good alternative if you dont want the negitives of running test pipes.

Thanks for the link Funky! I've been told that 300 cell is a good balance between performance and emmission control. I have a 100 cell in my other car. But then again, you are building a weapon. ;)

Back