• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Bad Valve Stems

So I took my CL down from New York to DC for a wedding. Trip went well. I was able to have my wife, two boys and requisite luggage without any problem. The next morning I was going to the car with my boys and I hear "You've got a flat tire Dad." It was a Sunday morning and I had a 300+ mile trip so I needed to get the primary tire repaired. After I put the spare on I went to a gas station, filled up the tire and discovered that the valve stem was bad. I took the tire to a tire shop and they were able to replace the valve stem with no problem. This is the second time this has happened to me. First time was with my CRV. Is this a common problem? Anyone replace their stems as a preventative measure?

Oh I also spotted a nice red NSX down there (had an NSX-R type wing). Anyone here?

I had 2 valve stems on my 66 mustang go bad. They were all new(1 year old or so). Both caused blowouts on the highway at around 70mph.
After the second one, I had all 4 replaced. This was in 2005.

I'm of the opinion, they're more likely to go bad when new than when old.
I could be wrong...
I'm sure there's a rule of thumb, like replace every 7 years or something.

I've seen more cores fail than stems. Keeping a few spare cores and a core-tool in the glovebox is never a bad idea.

Yup. Had one go bad on the nsx a couple weeks ago. Super easy and cheap to fix if you have the parts and tool. Plus saving the trip to the tire shop.

Yup. Had one go bad on the nsx a couple weeks ago. Super easy and cheap to fix if you have the parts and tool. Plus saving the trip to the tire shop.

I just had two cores on mine get really loose causing a small leak. I keep for spares and a tool in the car. :)

FWIW: For those of you who track/auto-x your vehicles, it is always good to check the valve stems the day after a track/auto-x event. In particular the cores in the new valve stems will become loose after the heating/cooling cycles that the tire/wheel goes through during track/auto-x events.

Back