What do NSX drivers carry for a spare tire?

a 30 yo rubber tire is a crap shoot, it may hold air, but may never collapse back down for proper re storage.
I'm still carrying the original 1992 spare. Is there any chance it could be usable?
I carry Fix-A-Flat, but not really to use for the actual wheel/tire that got the flat, but more for the collapsible spare. I just need it to hold air until I can get to a proper service station for my actual tire. Not looking for high performance or anything like that, so as long as it holds air, I'm good.

As I had suggested in post #15, I finally decided that I should check my 24 year old spare to see if it even held air. I pulled it out the other night to inflate it. I did a complete system test by using the tool kit air compressor which had clearly been undisturbed in 24 years. The tire inflated without drama, although somewhat slowly. It took about 4-5 minutes for the tool kit air compressor to inflate the tire to around 35 psi. I let the tire sit for a little over 24 hours and checked to confirm that there was no pressure loss.

The tire was a little scummy. I have been wiping off the tread and spraying it with silicone every year; but, the sidewall never got wiped down, just spray in the sidewall fold and that has accumulated 13 years of dust and silicone. First inspection showed no ominous bulges after inflation
Tire.JPG

Inspection of the tread, tread shoulders and the sidewalls showed no cracks or surface checking of the rubber.
Tread.JPG

The tire has 5 very small ribs along each sidewall. Close inspection showed that while sitting in the uninflated condition it looks like in places, the side of some of the ribs bonded to their neighbouring rib and when the tire was inflated it pulled the rib apart.
Side wall defects 2.jpg

It looks rather ugly, but, the depth of the crack in the separated area appears to be no deeper than the depth of the valleys between the ribs so this appears to be just superficial damage. Certainly there is no penetration down to the tire cords. I think the ribs might be part of the folding mechanism for the tire because they do appear to be located right at the side fold Deflated tire 2.jpg
when the tire is deflated.

The tire deflated and folded back up sort of successfully. I say sort of because initial deflation made the tire an exceedingly tight fit into the carrier in front. In order to completely deflate the tire you really need to remove or partially remove the tire valve to get the tire to compress completely.

So, I think my 2000 spare remains a viable solution. Given the 13 year accumulation of silicone spray, the tread remains rather slimy so I definitely would be driving very cautiously if I had to make use of it. That slime may scuff off after a few kilometers; but, caution is appropriate anyway given what it is not a 'real' tire.

If you are thinking that your folding spare might be your back up plan, it would probably be appropriate to inflate it and make sure it holds air. Fully inflated will allow you to inspect the carcass for signs of severe aging and then you can make a more informed decision about whether it is a viable spare.

I do carry one of those tire plugging tools as a back up to my spare. If a tire plugging tool has become your primary back up plan, you might want to test or rethink the use of the tool kit compressor. The tool kit compressor took about 4-5 minutes to inflate the rather small collapsible spare to 35 psi. The warning on the side of the compressor indicates a maximum run time of 30 minutes at which point you are to shut it off and let it cool down. If you need to inflate a rear tire and you are using the OEM 40 psi inflation pressure you could be in for a long wait to get it completely inflated with the tool kit compressor.

Thanks, Old Guy. I never tested my spare for fear that it wouldn't deflate enough to get it back in it's space. It is a tight fit already. Thanks to your experiment I feel comfortable with testing mine now.

Because... my spare tire area has a chassis brace and hood exhaust ducting, but more importantly I haven't found a spare tire that both fits in the frunk or trunk and fits over the BBK :(
View attachment 191853
I'm fitting my big brake kit now. I am going to try a spacer on the spare to see if it will clear the caliper.

I'm fitting my big brake kit now. I am going to try a spacer on the spare to see if it will clear the caliper.
I was able to find one a while back. I think it was a 17" from some Toyota but it required a massive spacer, which isn't the end of the world... though again.. I'd have to bring it in the passenger seat. Then the other problem is... what do you do you with the tire that has a flat? I suppose you can carry a trash bag and place that in the passenger seat also.

I was able to find one a while back. I think it was a 17" from some Toyota but it required a massive spacer, which isn't the end of the world... though again.. I'd have to bring it in the passenger seat. Then the other problem is... what do you do you with the tire that has a flat? I suppose you can carry a trash bag and place that in the passenger seat also.
I can stash the spacer behind the carpet in the trunk. The spare would go in the trunk as designed or in the passenger seat wrapped in plastic or something.

If you need a massive spacer, doesn't that imply that you should be extending the wheel studs on all four wheels if you want to be able to use the spacer & spare on any of the wheels? Options based upon carrying stuff around in the passenger seat does seem to me like you have arrived at the point where your call AAA and wait option is the more logical choice.

I do have extended ARP studs on all 4 corners but using a spare is a moot point for me. I've accepted the risks (and benefits?) of the AAA premium membership. Hagerty, of which the policy is under, also has roadside benefits but I tried calling them for a test run and I wasn't too impressed. Hope I don't have to use either in real life...

Edit: Spacers with integrated studs are also commonly sold as an option for some folks.

The tire plug kits are a good option for a roadside repair. Only thing you'd need is some type of inflator (and they make inflators these days that can fit in your glovebox). Here's a video i did for the tire plugs--they're quite easy to use and hold up very well.

That's a good kit. We're lucky someone helped when we had a bad flat at the rear passenger tire on my Cherokee. End up getting new steel jeep wheels and new tires from 4Wheelonline. Gonna grab that plug kit and inflator for the NSX.

That's a good kit. We're lucky someone helped when we had a bad flat at the rear passenger tire on my Cherokee. End up getting new steel jeep wheels and new tires from 4Wheelonline. Gonna grab that plug kit and inflator for the NSX.
Yes, definitely. I'm playing with fire and using 2 of these plugs in 1 of my Tesla tires, but it's been holding excellently (I'm paranoid and check the tire pressure each time I drive it). They've held up over a thousand miles so far and at high speeds.

I've carried the Stop & Go model 1085 since the mid '80s when I was putting big time mileage on a Gold Wing and Yamaha FJ1200 on cross country rides. Of course there's one in Charlotte's trunk. These used to be sold with a vinyl zippered storage bag as opposed to the hard case pictured. This thing has never failed me. Just ensure that your air pump is with you and working.

Stop & Go Tire Repair Kit.jpg

Back