• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BaschBoost

Haven't heard any recent updates on Mark's supercharger. How's the beta test going. Any word on the 3.2 OBDII models?

Hi Chuck --

The production kits are in manufacturing now. The kit is now available for 3.2L cars.

On a side note, ScienceofSpeed is taking orders. For now, e-mails may be sent to [email protected] with your full name, address, and telephone. We'll have an updated webpage to take this information shortly.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Well DanO, with the injectors operating at 100% and the smooth flow of that fuel through the new intake, I figured the "Skunkworks" of Danoland was setting things up for more air! Just checking to see if I have to cover my bases
smile.gif

Originally posted by Chuck:
Well DanO, with the injectors operating at 100% and the smooth flow of that fuel through the new intake, I figured the "Skunkworks" of Danoland was setting things up for more air! Just checking to see if I have to cover my bases
smile.gif

All I’m doing is getting things ready just in case…you see…it’s a defensive move, that’s all.
smile.gif
You know, there’s a limit to how many times I can yield to a red car in my rearview mirror before drastic action needs to be taken! I’ve got a feeling that between the 3M brothers, at least one will pull the trigger and cause a domino effect that starts at Gingerman and ends in a certain bank account in Phoenix.
smile.gif
Manuel’s talk of a group purchase is not helping things at all.
smile.gif
You guys know that I’m getting married this summer! Have some sympathy!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

DanO

P.S. – Chuck, any luck with the front Pzero c’s?

[/b][/QUOTE]
Welcome to the club -- I'm taking the plunge around Easter
biggrin.gif

[/B][/QUOTE]

Is that to get married or supercharged
wink.gif

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Hi Chuck --

The production kits are in manufacturing now. The kit is now available for 3.2L cars.

On a side note, ScienceofSpeed is taking orders. For now, e-mails may be sent to [email protected] with your full name, address, and telephone. We'll have an updated webpage to take this information shortly.

Cheers,
-- Chris

What Chris means is that the 3.2L is also in production, as we speak, and will be available at the same time the 3.0L kit is.
That availability date is still to be announced, but should be in a few weeks. I just got back from the CNC shop a few minutes ago and the pieces are beutifull and almost all are a perfect fit. The CNC shop now has an NSX trans and engine bolted together and being used to test fit every piece that rolls off the line. The fuel system is finished in Los Angeles and I will be there Mon and Tues working on the final tuning. If we are happy with all the changes and finished product, they will be available in a few weeks. CARB is still at least 3 months away as it is a large undertaking for a guy who also runs a shop that repairs 25 to 30 Acuras a day with 6 employees and a dog to take care of. The good news is that Nick Eaustace (remember the tat?) is moving to Phoenix next week to be closer to the project and will be working on the final assembly stages full time with me. He is also a partner in this venture in case you missed that earlier announcement.
So, people get ready..............

MB

I can't believe it! A NSX tech in my neck of the world. Isn't there one in PA as well? I need someone to do a 60K makeover on my car and don't trust the local shop. Some help here?

This was asked in another thread, and I don't think any one responded. The question got me curious too.

What's the 5k torque dip on all the BB graphs? It looks steep enough to actually feel.
basch_dyno3-tq_small.gif

See larger graphs in the FAQ's.

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
02' Chevy Avalanche 1500
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800

Originally posted by JohnC:

What's the 5k torque dip on all the BB graphs?

Yes, I think I asked that question, and it was never answered.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

The Comptech dyno graph also shows a dip in both the torque and hp curves at ~4800 rpms, both in stock or supercharged setups. See http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/2000NSXscPlot3.pdf

Interestingly, the Comptech graphs for the Honda S2000 have similar dips in both the torque and hp curves between 5000 and 6000 rpms. See http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/s2000_Supercharger.pdf

Maybe the dips are characteristic of VTEC engine function: early and late valve timing stages.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

I believe that the dip you are seeing is when the VTEC is activated, I have a Turbo NSX with the same dip at the same RPM, I changed my VTEC to work at 4000rpm and it dips thier now, I think it is the sudden burst of air and it takes the fuel management time to catch up. You don't feel when it dips driving the car.

This makes sense. Think about it. There's one torque curve without the extra cam lobe engaged, and it starts dropping off in the middle of the revband. There's a second torque curve with the extra cam lobe engaged, and it is still climbing in the middle of the revband. The purpose of VTEC is to use BOTH of these torque curves by engaging the extra cam lobe at the rpm point where the two curves cross. At that particular point in the resulting torque curve, there may be a dip in torque. But the net result is the maximization of torque at any rev point.

Am I right to assume that the Basch supercharger results in higher horsepowers then Comptech and GM SC???

And I think it also looks better to keep the original "Power by VTEC"...
biggrin.gif

Linking the dip to the VTEC makes sense, however... This is more than a dip. It's a pretty big stumble. Looks to me like the "initial rush of air" when the second profile kicks in is causing the ECU to retard the timing(knock detection), then it eventually catches up. That of course is just a wild-ass guess. Was the ECU monitored during these runs?

The Comptech graphs are no where near as severe.

Sorry, but I am betting heavily against VTEC being the cause. What is the RPM range for VTEC activation of the high-RPM cam profile on the NSX? 5800-6000 RPM. Simply too high to be related to the dips in question, which are a solid 1000 RPM lower. The torque is climing steadily out of the dip being discussed as it the motor climbs past 5000 RPM.

You can indeed see a very slight dip around the VTEC crossover point though, which is to be expected, but it is at 5800-6000 RPM and is very slight on a NA NSX. On Gerry's high-boost turbo I expect it to be much bigger and thus a noticable dip follows wherever he sets his VTEC crossover point.

Back to the question at hand. Let us consider what other events take place in the NSX motor. At around 4000 RPM the fuel pump goes into high-pressure mode. But just as the VTEC changeover is too high, this is too low to be related to what you see on the graph.

However, right at 4800 RPM the VVIS system opens the buttery fly valves to the second plenum under the main intake manifold, joining both banks of cylinders to the same (larger) intake plenum. The basic theory behind the VVIS system is that keeping the valves closed causes a resonance effect which improves low-end torque, while opening the valves reduces resonance but creates a slight intertia ram effect to give the best performance at high RPM.

I therefore propose you are seeing the motor start to have some air inake issues and then the situation quickly reverse itself once the butterfly valves open and the system is optimized for high-RPM operation.

This also fits with the following fact: You see it on NA NSX motors and see it MAGNIFIED on the BaschBoosted NSXs which maintain the VVIS system, but you do not see it on Comptech supercharged motors which do not keep the VVIS system.

Simple test: Disconnect and cap the vacuum hose to force VVIS to keep the buttefly valves open during a run on a BaschBoosted car and see what happens. At worst you will lose some low-end, but the BB system is designed for high-end anyway. Maybe it would even make sense to permanently lock VVIS open or even remove the butterfly valves on the BaschBoosted cars (not sure how hard removal is). Only dyno testing can say for sure.

I second Lud's theory. Also, however, I seem to remember that Chris Willson's posted Dyno graph when he first had his installed showed a much smoother torque curve than the two existing installs. I can't find the graph now, though.

-Mike

Back