• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery

Hello all, this is my first post and I still haven't enrolled in the Canadian Chapter yet, Owen is going to freak when he realizes I'm still alive!

I'm looking to replace the Interstate battery in my '95 with something a little more appropriate. The present one has a picture of a NASCAR-type machine with a picture of a green car and the #18 on it. Billy Bob Earnhart or someone. Oh yeah and its flat.

I am leaning towards the Odyssey 925, with the aluminum bracket from Dali Racing. From what I've read a battery tender will also be a good idea because I live in Canada and have to park the beauty for months at a time.

Does anyone have any comments on this particular size and model of battery? It seems to be a good fit for me, I prefer the extra cranking amps and reserve than the tiny ones available and plan never to race.

Are all battery tenders equal or is it worth buying the expensive ones?

I would also like to change the terminal connections from the crappy stock type. Are there any that are easy to install and of superior quality (gold plated?)

NSX2SEE

In my opinion the lead acid battery is the best for the car if weight savings is not the reason you want to replace it with the Odessey. Most battery tenders are designed for the more conventional batterys as well so gettng one that is compatiable with the lead acid would be easier.

If you order one from dali remind him about the tray and battery i ordered from him over a year ago AND PAID FOR- but have yet to recieve.....

If I could do it all over again, I would have chosen a full size Odyssey (or the like) instead of the 925.

I, unlike many, actually did receive my Dali mount, but that thing was a royal PITA to install and I think it is unnecessary anyways. I think that you can turn the 925 sideways and it fits in the stock tray.

I loved the 925 for being able to take abuse, but I hated that if I parked the car for more than a single day, I needed it on a tender.

Get a full size. Who cares about the extra weight.

Meh, it's a battery. I used to have an Optima 925 from Costco or something. I bought it when I first got my car because it was new and I was picky. When it died like any other battery I just swapped in a Canadian Tire special which I replace every 2 years on warranty. Booyah! :biggrin:
...it's easy to overthink everything...

Not trying to jack the thread but if your looking for an alternate replacement we have the Optima Batteries available at my shop which start under 200$....

This is what I'm going to be using and have used in my other cars before.

More info here:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="589" align="center"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#EBECEE"><td class="formLabel" width="100">Group #</td> <td class="formLabel" width="489" align="left">Description</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText border_topWhite_2px" bgcolor="#EBECEE" valign="Top" align="left"> 34R (8003-151) </td> <td class="bodyText" align="left">RedTop®; Battery; </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText border_topWhite_2px" bgcolor="#EBECEE" valign="Top" align="left"> 35 (8020-164) </td> <td class="bodyText" align="left">RedTop®; Battery; </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyText border_topWhite_2px" bgcolor="#EBECEE" valign="Top" align="left"> D35 (8040-218) </td> <td class="bodyText" align="left">YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; </td></tr></tbody></table>

http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/

I have the yellow top D51 in my Integra R and it's very light but I find I have to jump it now and then. I have a heavy boat anchor AC Delco 35-60 in my NSX which if I switched to the yellow top I could save 11 lbs on. Tempting. However, I put insurance on the other day and went out and started the NSX for the first time since November. It fired right up... and there is the trade off. PS There is no weight savings with the yellow top D35 and only 4 lbs savings with the red top.

Last edited:
Question on the battery tender. I have used a cig lighter plug in version on my 996 for years and it works great.
Any issues using this same model ?

If you using it on a Nsx the Cig lighter is not connected to the battery unless the key is turned on so unless you rewire it wont work

I've been running the Optima family of batteries in a few different cars over the years. I had a Yellow Top in one of my cars from '95 to '08 finally had 1 cell go bad floating the voltage around 10.5v which would still run most cars but the ECM didn't like that voltage at all... it lasted well over 13yrs. 13years of sheer abuse I should say too! :biggrin:

But I should also mention I've had a Yellow & Red that didn't even last a year in my old '91 NSX & Integra. Bad cell or some bad manufacturing batch or something back in '05~'06. :redface:

In my '00 NSX-T I'm currently running a Blue top AGM Marine for over 2yrs. I went Blue because it has the 2nd set of stud terminals which make it easier to trickle charge, and connect other accessories such as Stereo, & my Intercool water pump etc to the battery directly.
Optima's in general have such a low internal resistance that it makes it ideal for almost instant current draw starting, or running a aftermarket amp for stereos etc. This battery once discharged for whatever reason (garage queens mostly) has a very quick recharge/recovery time as well.

These batteries are heavy, but if your concerned about your weight you should probably go on a diet. Lol :wink:

Optima BlueTop D34M Ultra high-performance Spiralcell AGM Specifications:
Weight 43.5lbs.
Length 10.06inches
Height 7.94inches
Width 6.88inches
Cold Cranking Amps 750
Cranking Amps 870
Reserve Capacity 120
Capacity (c/20 rate) 55
Post Type Dual SAE & 5/16 Stainless Stud

t350_c079159a1c13fa01383dc296b2c0b2ad.jpg

When using the yellowtop D35, will it fit the original tray and bracket? Or we have to buy new one to make it fit?

I had the Odyssey 925 (technically, the PC925T) in my NSX. It worked fine; the car could easily sit for 7-10 days and start right up. I kept it on an automatic charger most of the time. It was still working great after eight years; I replaced it at that point as a preventive measure, but for all I know it could have gone for years longer.

I ran into an issue with my battery charger (after using it for 17 years, year round). I discussed it with the folks at Portable Power, and they strongly recommend using the Odyssey OMAX-25A-1B charger that the Odyssey folks make specifically for that battery, to avoid any problems. So I bought one of those.

If you decide to go with the Odyssey, I strongly recommend getting the battery and charger from Portable Power. Not only do they have the best prices on Odyssey parts - with no concerns about orders never getting filled - but the folks there are great, with terrific advice and service. They even spliced pigtails onto the connecting cords for me, so that I could run a cord from the battery to the front air dam, enabling me to leave the car covered and to plug the car in easily.

Portable Power Systems
12136 Grant Circle
Thornton, CO 80241
303-460-8261
portablepower.com

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with using a conventional battery in the NSX; it will just weigh more than the Odyssey and won't last as long, but it will be significantly less expensive. Costco is a good place to buy conventional automotive batteries, but otherwise, you can get them anywhere. The NSX uses a group size 35 battery.

Last edited:
Back