• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBSC Owners - Speak up! Part II

Hello all,

Well, 65 responses (and counting) to my original thread yet only 1 BBSC "actual owner"posting a comment (thanks NSXTC). I was hoping/expecting the BBSC owners to be more vocal with their feedback telling the rest of us - some with scheduled install dates - what their results have been. Following my post, several have asked for 1/4 mile times and/or trap speed as well as dyno results, etc. Hell, at this point, I'd settle for some "seat of the pants" feedback. Did y'all spend you money wisely? Any regrets? The relative silence is deafening.

Seems I have been the guy putting out the fires so to speak! LOL!!!

I just can’t stand all the negative B.S. that has been circulating around while MB has been working his ^## off making this system a reality for us.

Once MB updates my car with the final-final production version high boost BBSC setup, which will be in about a week and a half, I will shortly thereafter get some real dyno numbers posted. I think everyone will be very impressed, and this will serve to kill off any remaining doubting Thomases out there still sitting in their Al Queda caves!
wink.gif

Since a couple of weeks ago, people have started getting the first true production standard boost level BBSC’s installed in their cars, so we should be hearing from them soon. These dynos should be significantly better than the ones we saw from the recent Texas dyno shootout.

Ill also talk to MB when I see him next about helping set up a BBSC FAQ and product information page on the web (he has a domain registered already) which should be helpful in disseminating much-needed accurate information.

.....till then!

NSXTC

My car is one of the ten scheduled to have a BBSC bolted on next week in Florida. I am dropping my car off on Sunday and have been told to pick it up on Tuesday afternoon. I am taking the car to a Dynojet this Thursday and will be returning to the very same Dynojet post boost. I will gladly share the information from this as I know there are many out there looking for some REAL information.

I'm very fortunate in that, per my conversation yesterday with Jane Basch, the Florida cars will be some of the first to get the latest enhancements, ie: black box, new pulley for earlier boost etc...

Weather permitting, I have also planned to take the car to the 1/4 mile strip in Bradenton this Saturday to get some baseline info pre BBSC. I'm not holding my breath as we've been told there's rain every day for the next four days.

Kendal - I counted three owners of the BBSC that replied to your orginal message and four others that responed to the other thread. I'm not sure I want to try and get 1/4 mile numbers for you with my current clutch setup - however if you'd be willing to help fund the carbon fiber prototype we are working on I might consider :)

"...The relative silence is deafening..."

Maybe all those lucky BBSC owners are out driving their cars with big wide grins on their mugs?

wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Kendall,
Come on down to San Diego and you can test drive my 1992 NSX with BBSC. The current configuration is the Factor X / Hondata chip with "standard" boost. In other words, the increase in horsepower is felt above 6000 RPM. As I mentioned before, this is great for the track & Autobahn, but not so great for the street. I'm hoping that the "new" configuration (I have no details) will increase the boost so that there is noticeable torque increase below 6000 RPM.

Bryan Zublin

I'm also due an install next week and I am happy to hear that we will get the more advanced kit. There still are'nt many cars that have the unit installed yet. Be patient and give Mark a chance to install them. I will post next week my impressions if my clutch holds...

I had the Basch SC installed June 5. I posted my initial impressions on the original thread.

Unfortunately, I have not run the car hard. It also received a new clutch which needs a 500 mile stop&go break in. I also need the new fuel box upgrade. My initial limited impression is it is a definate contender if not champion.

There seems to be a lot of preoccupation with quarter mile times and dyno results. If I wanted to drag or street race, I would not have bought an NSX. There are way cheaper and faster cars. I wanted to take the finest overall sports car EVER built and add some more fun and kick. I got a whole lot of that. You want to go fast in a straight line....your on the wrong forum.

Have there been any dyno tests of the last batch of BB SC installations? If so, please scan and post. I believe that the Dallas / Houston installations happened last week (or the week before?).
Bryan Zublin

JSG get a clue.

We're interested in the dyno plots on the BBSC primarily to get a better idea regarding its power delivery profile, as well as visually seeing the differance between the 6psi and 9psi kits. I guess we're all just suppossed to take your word on the BBSC's power eh? No offense, but I need a tad more than that before cutting a check.

Anyone dropping nearly $8K for a new supercharger system is sure as hell going to be asking for any sort of information available, it's only natural.

I'd also suggest that you refrain from lecturing the board about how we use our cars. The NSX is more than capable at a drag strip, and to claim that we're "in the wrong forum" for that pursuit is just plain ludicrous.

I agree with Mako.

Interest in dyno and 1/4-mile trap-speed parameters does not automatically make one a drag or street racer. Please stop the generalizations.

Finding out those parameters is a natural part of the due diligence process for determining the ROI on a particular SC kit.

Please also stop making generalizations about this board being reserved solely for people who drive in circles and corner all day long.

Last I checked this board was meant for NSX enthusaists who appreciate the overall package of the NSX, and straightline acceleration IS part of that package.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 24 June 2002).]

Originally posted by MAKO:
JSG get a clue.

We're interested in the dyno plots on the BBSC primarily to get a better idea regarding its power delivery profile, as well as visually seeing the differance between the 6psi and 9psi kits. I guess we're all just suppossed to take your word on the BBSC's power eh? No offense, but I need a tad more than that before cutting a check.

Anyone dropping nearly $8K for a new supercharger system is sure as hell going to be asking for any sort of information available, it's only natural.

I'd also suggest that you refrain from lecturing the board about how we use our cars. The NSX is more than capable at a drag strip, and to claim that we're "in the wrong forum" for that pursuit is just plain ludicrous.

1. It is $6500 not $8000

2. A 9 psi unit is not yet available

3. I was not lecturing; unless one sentence is a lecture in your world. I agree that the data is very important; however, to date a great deal of the chatter has not been particularly informative or helpful.

4. Take a motrin...your PMS is flaring.

Well I picked up my newly Basch enhanced NSX last Monday night from Orlando. Sorry to report that it was raining all the way down and all the way back up. Mark told me that he really couldn't give it a good test drive due to the poor weather conditions. I called and talked with him on Sunday and he was starting the process of reprogramming the computer. The following day I called again to confirm the car was ready and tell them I would pick up that night. Luckily for me the most updated and final program had been delivered to him so mine was the first one to have the 'final-final' system installed.
I have only had one opportunity to get into it a little bit to see what it is like. Getting on an onramp for the interstate I jumped on it pretty hard. I could feel a noticeable difference beginning to build around 4K rpm or so but it REALLY hit around 5500-6K. WOW. I guess it is a bit faster because why wife just starting screaming and holding on for dear life. Even though we had already gotten up to around 80 mph when the 5-6k power came on I could feel the back end start to try and step out. Yes, at 80 mph it started getting loose. I backed off for safety reasons of course.
I will be taking to Gainesville track next Friday (July 5) and would be happy to report my times if anyone is interested.
One last thing. To all the fine folks out there who are giving Mr. Basch a hard time right now. Back off. After having started working on multiple cars @ 8 a.m. that morning when I arrived at 8 p.m. to pick my car up he was still going strong and nice as could be. Granted I did just drop nearly
$6K on his system you would think he had to be nice. Well even though we all like to be nice, after working 12 hours we can all get a little cranky...agreed? Anyway after he took one of the other cars for a short test drive with the owner he washed up and came over and talked with me. He patiently explained everything to me that had been done to the car and what I needed to do maintenance wise and updating wise. He then gave me the chance to ask him anything about anything I wanted to know about. After talking for roughly 20-30 minutes we decided to call it a night. One thing he said that really made me feel good was simply this. "Well if you can understand I would like to get out of here and catch some sleep since I have a long day tomorrow also. 'UNLESS' you have anymore questions and then I would be happy to spend all night answering whatever you have to ask, it would be no problem." Understanding that he was tired, as was I after working all day we bid farewell and parted ways. Super nice and intelligent person. You can't really understand or comprehend that until you get a chance to meet him for yourself. I consider myself lucky to have been able to meet him and talk with one of the smartest people in the business.
Thank's Mark for a great job and being you.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I picked up my car with the BBSC installed on Wednesday with the intent of having it dynoed at Cybernation Motorsports in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday. Unfortunately, my aftermarket ecu chip was not swapped out during the install with a "stock" chip. I noticed the problem on my way to Ft. Lauderdale when getting on boost once weather and traffic conditions permitted. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. I called Mark Basch and he made provisions to get me a compatible chip asap. Unfortunately, that wasn't until Friday night so I wasn't able to do any dyno runs at Cybernation.
About midnight last night I was able to get the ecu chip swap done with the help of Greg McCarthy and Andie Lin...many thanks Andie for your time and efforts in getting the pins on the chip perfectly aligned so that it would fit into the socket on the ecu board! Andie and I warmed the car up upon completion and took it out for a test drive at around 1am. My '94 has a six speed, 4.55, Comptech powergrip clutch with light flywheel, headers, no cats, and a custom catback system. 253rwhp before BBSC.

First impression with BBSC- the power comes on relatively smoothly or what some would refer to as linear power delivery. There is no moment when it suddenly comes in, it's more like as your natural powerband comes on you feel like there's just a good bit more power until you get above 5500 when it really gets humming. I did a second gear roll on from 3,000rpms and ran it up to redline through second and third and into fourth before running out of road. The car pulled strong and without any trouble. Andie and I were pleased that the chip swap seemed to have worked out and called it a night.

This morning, the Florida Chapter hosted a back roads drive that included some spirited driving on a sunny Florida day. After about twenty minutes of driving I started hearing some engine pinging under boost. Detonation...ugh! I took it easy until the next scheduled stop and then added some octane boost which seemed to mitigate some, but not all of the pinging. I was running 92 octane gas from "Speedway", the only fuel available at 7am this morning in Lake County where the event is taking place. I am home now and near "E" and will fill up with some name brand 93 to see if there is any difference. I will post the results.

Mark B. has told several of the Florida "Installees" that there is another software update forthcoming in the next few weeks. If the better fuel results in no pinging, which I hope for, I will have the car dynoed on the same dynojet I did my baseline run at and post the gains.

I did have an opportunity to compare the car to SMOORE's yellow nos NSX on the way back to Tampa Bay this afternoon. We did a 70 iph (inch per hour for you LE officials) roll on which put me at 5300rpms in third and went side by side up to 140. The cars were dead even in their acceleration, each of us carrying one passenger. I learned tonight that he is running the 70 shot of NOS. I hope the BBSC in it's final tune will have an edge over a nos kit.

All in all, it's a work in progress which I understood at the beginning of the week when I dropped my car off. Mark B. is committed to getting any needed changes made as well as the forthcoming upgrades of the different pulley, blowoff valve and cold air intake. Once he's had the opportunity to make these changes and get the car fully tuned with the software I will do another dyno session and post those results for all to see.

I hope this post helps shed some light on the current status of BBSC as I know just last week I was one of the masses wanting to know more. I'll keep the info coming as things develop. Peace and safe speed to all,
Scott

Update: Yesterday afternoon I took the car out and filled up the tank with some brand name 93 octane gas with a dose of octane booster thrown in for good measure. After driving around for about 15 minutes with the new mix I decided to try some full boost acceleration runs to see if the telltale "pings" would rear their ugly heads. I'm very happy to say that they did not! The car pulled through partial and full throttle conditions without any audible signs of trouble. I'm now wondering if I wasn't the victim of some mislabeled fuel from a rural gas station. I hope to take the car to the same dyno I did my baseline runs on prior to the BBSC's install. I will post the results once I have them.

As for '92NSX's post regarding the circumstances surrounding Mark Basch's efforts last week, I have to agree that he was certainly working under less than ideal conditions and doing what he could to make the best of it. As I told Mark when I saw him, I have put my car in his hands with faith in his reputation and abilities. As I mentioned before, this is a work in progress at this point but one that I am confident will result in a successful end product.

Originally posted by kpond:
Hello all,
Well, 65 responses (and counting) to my original thread yet only 1 BBSC "actual owner"posting a comment (thanks NSXTC). (snip)
Kendall,
Now that you are a BB SC owner, please share with us all. :) Do you plan to dyno your NSX? I'd love to see the dyno plot with the current configuration.

Bryan Zublin

Scott (Tampa NSX-R) --

Any updated feedback after some software upgrades and tuning ?? More interested in overall drive-ability and consistency, rather than raw output.

Any updated dyno plots available ?? Please include info on your setup -- motor, cats, other mods (headers, intake, etc).

#############

Any news on the uprated boost with BOV setup ??

Manuel (NSX1164),
Mark B. sent me a new file to install and I will be doing so in the next couple of days and following up with a dyno session. I'm due to run the car next Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway so I want to double check the a/f with the new program. Essentially, it's designed to lean out my midrange which has been very rich, under 11-1 from 4,800-6,800 and slightly lean from 7,500 to redline(12.9). I'll gladly post results when I get them. The drivability has been good for the most part. The key has been the continual evolution of the software. The early drivability issues like warm idle hunting have been addressed by the updated files MB has been providing. My car has CT headers, no cats and a custom catback system that utilizes a flowmaster can and DTM tips. If you have any other questions let me know! BTW, my latest dyno run saw 377.5rwhp which translates to 424 crank hp assuming 11% drivetrain loss.

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 11 August 2002).]

Update-
Last Thursday I had my car dynoed, again, after installing the newest version of the SS software titled "Killer". My a/f curve improved greatly as it cleaned up the rich condition I had between 4800 and 6800rpms. I now have a nice even curve without that annoying dip. I gained 10-15rwhp and torque in that midrange area and another 5.5rwhp at the peak and 2 more ft/lbs of torque peak. I'm now at 382rwhp and 260 torque with good drivability. The car still has a tendency to idle hunt just a bit every once in awhile which is a bit annoying. Other than that, I'm real happy with the setup I now have. Thanks MB!

Originally posted by TampaBayNSX-R:
I now have a nice even curve without that annoying dip. I gained 10-15rwhp and torque in that midrange area and another 5.5rwhp at the peak and 2 more ft/lbs of torque peak. I'm now at 382rwhp and 260 torque with good drivability.
That sounds pretty good... particularly as these are Florida (warmer-weather) #s. Should do even better in more temperate climes. Do you have hp and torque curves available?

Manuel,
I have the printout from the dyno shop and another local NSX owner has the file from the "WinPep" program the Dynojet uses. Do you know if these files are "postable"? If so, I could forward them and have someone post them.

Back