• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternative to intercooling

stevenlee said:
What mix of methanol/water are you using?
FJO claims that water has a better cooling effect than methanol and that a 30% methanol content is best for a low boost application. (FJO is a Canadian company that makes high end water/methanol injection systems.)
Have you experimented with different mixtures to determine which mix works best?
Also, watch out for the corrosive effect of the methanol on the rubber parts.

I actually bought pre-mixed solution from the company that makes the unit. It's called "Boost Juice" (what else, right?) It's supposed to be the perfect methanol mixture for their system. I am not an expert on the mixture properties...I can only go by their recommendations.

WOODY said:
Armando, do you have any pre/post mist IAT data with your aftercooler in place?

Not to highjack this thread, but to answer your question, pre after/cooler and Aquamist the AEM data logs show IAT 230 plus after a few pulls on the dyno. Our numbers are closer to 140 now.

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
Not to highjack this thread, but to answer your question, pre after/cooler and Aquamist the AEM data logs show IAT 230 plus after a few pulls on the dyno. Our numbers are closer to 140 now.

Armando
do you have just after cooler, then aftercooler plus aquamist data to isolate the effect of the mist?

WOODY said:
do you have just after cooler, then aftercooler plus aquamist data to isolate the effect of the mist?

No I do not. But seeing a 30 degree delta by adding just the Aquamist in conjunction with the aftercooler is easy. The temperatures will vary depending on if you go with alcohol/distilled water or methanol/distilled water.

Armando

Wheelman said:
How much does it cost for a refill of the unit?

Methanol is about 6.00 (I buy 10 gallon drums ) a gallon of which you mix 50% distilled water, the reservoir is maybe 1.5 gallons. 1.5 gallons of mix last me about 3 to 4 fuel tank fulls depending on how hard you drive it.

Armando

Regarding using Aquamist type system with Comptech SC & stock computer. Be careful. The Comptech setup when used with the factory ECU relies on the ECU seeing high IAT temps causing the factory computer to retard enough timing to reduce detonation. With stand alone engine management (as m3456y has), cool the charge temps to your heart's and engine's glee.

Cheers,
-- Chris

I myself have been researching the very same snow system as an alternative to using an aftercooler.

I am running 8-9psi now on the bbsc setup. Once I get the meth system installed I am going to up the boost to 12psi and see how it holds up. From what I have read and seen I think a meth system by itself will be adequate to run 12psi without the need for an aftercooler.

Back