• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best two way club radio

I am going to NSXPO and need to buy a club radio. I have looked at the FAQs on this, but some of the Radio Shack models seem to be dicontinued.

Can anyone recomend a good radio to buy? I would be interested in a 5 watt model.

Thanks, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

In general, I would look for a two watt radio, which is what most club members are using. Sure the five-watt radio will transmit and receive further, but you don't necessarily want that when you're traveling in a caravan, and you want the range of all the radios to be about the same.

However, if the radios are hard to find (and they probably are, right now) you may need to take whatever you can get.

HTH

nsxtasy said:

However, if the radios are hard to find (and they probably are, right now) you may need to take whatever you can get.
Ken,
Curious as to why you say that?
Can you list some models you feel worth while? What about the Garmin Rino 120, is it decent?

I just picked up a motorola 2 watt model ....and like ken says you may want to stay away from the 5 watt one for a caravan.

A 5 watt radio can transmit lets say ten miles ...so anyone that has a radio that is with in your transmitting range can hear you.....but for them to talk back to you........You would have to be with in there transmitting range....so for argument sake lets say someone with a 2 watt radio was ten miles from you.....he could hear you but he would not have enough power to transmit a message back to you because his effective transmitting range is less then a 5 watt model radios. I hope this was helpful.

motorola model CP100 (UHF) 56 pre-programmed frequency's "Including Nsx Club radios"

2 watt output ..comes with desktop charger,antenna,nickle metal battery,swivel belt clip.....also takes standard AA batteries in emergencies....this is a nice feature.

I paid $215 at www.delmmar.com

Actually it is better to have a longer range radio. In a caravan, since people are so close, wattage does not matter much. But if you are really lost, you can transmit farther to let people know you are way behind and ask them to slow down a bit even if they cannot transmit back. If you can find a 5 watts radio, go for it. But any 1 to 2 watts radio should do fine in a caravan. I use a 1 watt radio during drives without any problem. I also will bring a 5 watt radio as a spare.
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
Actually it is better to have a longer range radio.
Not if you're part of a caravan in which everyone else has a radio with less wattage than yours. The only exception to that is the example you give, in which you get separated from the caravan. Otherwise, having one car with a range longer than everyone else's is an impediment. It's even worse at NSXPO, where there will be multiple caravans separated by perhaps a couple of miles, and someone with a longer range radio can get confused by not realizing when he's talking with people in an entirely different caravan.

whiteNSXs said:
Actually it is better to have a longer range radio. In a caravan, since people are so close, wattage does not matter much. But if you are really lost, you can transmit farther to let people know you are way behind and ask them to slow down a bit even if they cannot transmit back. If you can find a 5 watts radio, go for it. But any 1 to 2 watts radio should do fine in a caravan. I use a 1 watt radio during drives without any problem. I also will bring a 5 watt radio as a spare.
Steve

During the drives and events the lead car and the end car usually have radios.They relay information as to where the next turns are and if there are any potential hazards ahead. During the drives if any members or part of the group should get stuck at a light or intersection it should be announced right away and the lead pack usually waits ahead till they can catch up and join the group again.In addition to the club radios anyone in the group with a cell phone usually exchange numbers with the leader so that in the event one should get really lost ...they are able to get in contact with someone who can put them back on coarse with the group.

Back