• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best...Wax...Ever

When I bought my Berlina NSX, I figured, black, how hard could it be to take care of black paint? After all, I like washing and waxing my cars, how could black be any different? Hell, if it's dusty, that'd be a great excuse to buy a sixpack and give it a wash...

I was wrong. I was very, very wrong. But I've come to terms with the every-other-day washing and at least weekly waxings. It's ok.

And it's given me ample opportunity to hone my waxing procedure.

So, with that introduction, let me pass on to all who may care, the best way I've found to wax a black NSX.

1) Completely take-down all prior waxing transgressions with dish soap. Throw out the washing mit. Throw...it...out. Rinse the bucket well.
2) Clay bar the whole damn thing. I've never found much difference between clay bar brands. I used Zaino with good results. Others probably work great.
3) Re-wash with some fancy car soap to get the clay bar residue off.
4) Get a smallish (5-6") random orbital buffer and a foam wax applicator. Black&Decker makes one for under $30. I like the smaller buffer: it forces you to go slowly and allows ingress into nooks and cranies. And I work better with smaller tools...
5) Buff using 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze-Dark one panel at a time and remove with microfiber towels (it'll say to use cotton/terricloth but the microfiber work better). Don't try to get away with a non foam applicator. It's named "Foam Polishing Pad Glaze" for a reason...and I'm sure some nerdy 3M engineer knows that reason. You may need more than one application on the hood and front fenders.
7) Apply 3M Imperial Hand Glaze one panel at a time and remove with microfiber towels.
8) Get some Zymol Ebony Black wax. $57 on Amazon.com. It'll last YEARS. Buy your wife something nice too, that way she'll overlook the fact that you have to store your fancy new wax in the fridge.
9) Wax on, wax off then stand back in amazement.

For years I had used Zaino. Then I morphed into something of a Zaino/Carnuba bastard-child. Neither ever addressed the haziness and concentric circling of light that plagued my hood. And sometimes, in the right lateral light, the sides of my car looked freakin horrible. I tried the Zaino version of a swirl remover...worked well in some places but led to quite a bit of haziness in other places. Maybe I wasn't using it correctly. Maybe Zaino's just not the right stuff for black? Who knows? With the above process, the haziness is GONE and the depth of the shine is outstanding.

Uecker

Zymol vs. Zaino............................UH-OH!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Do you really go through this process weekly? If so, WOW!!

4) Get a smallish (5-6") random orbital buffer and a foam wax applicator. Black&Decker makes one for under $30. I like the smaller buffer: it forces you to go slowly and allows ingress into nooks and cranies. And I work better with smaller tools...
8) Get some Zymol Ebony Black wax. $57 on Amazon.com. It'll last YEARS. Buy your wife something nice too, that way she'll overlook the fact that you have to store your fancy new wax in the fridge.

Does your wife agree with #4??? :biggrin: Sorry, too easy to pass up.

Thank God no. Just wash c fancy car soap & proceed to step 9. Getting it to that point took steps 1-8.

When I bought my Berlina NSX, I figured, black, how hard could it be to take care of black paint? After all, I like washing and waxing my cars, how could black be any different? Hell, if it's dusty, that'd be a great excuse to buy a sixpack and give it a wash...

I was wrong. I was very, very wrong. But I've come to terms with the every-other-day washing and at least weekly waxings. It's ok.

Amen. We should start a support group. I wash the car more than I drive it.

In my opinion, it's all about the prep (like most everything else).
I spent 13 hours last weekend on the paint of my daily driver (1998 Acura CL 3.0), 11 of those with an orbital. In the end, I just used some Griots wax, but the car looks unbelievable. And this is with a White car. I couldn't imagine the pain and suffering of owning a black car.

I spent 13 hours last weekend on the paint of my daily driver (1998 Acura CL 3.0), 11 of those with an orbital. In the end, I just used some Griots wax, but the car looks unbelievable. And this is with a White car. I couldn't imagine the pain and suffering of owning a black car.

You spent 13 hours on a weekend polishing a 98 Acura CL? Speechless.........:cool:

This is 100% correct, to get the best finish in your paint it is all in the prep work. I'd rather have a prep done like Chromatose did, then put on a $1.99 wax from Turtle Wax. It would come out a lot better than doing no prep work and using a $400 bottle of Zymol wax after a wash.

George @ Detailed Image

It would come out a lot better than doing no prep work and using a $400 bottle of Zymol wax after a wash.
There's no such thing as "a $400 bottle of Zymol wax". The higher-quality (more expensive) Zymol waxes are solid pastes in consistency, not liquids, and come in jars, not bottles.

But I agree with your point... ;)

There's no such thing as "a $400 bottle of Zymol wax". The higher-quality (more expensive) Zymol waxes are solid pastes in consistency, not liquids, and come in jars, not bottles.

But I agree with your point... ;)

Good catch on the bottle vs jar, I was just trying to make a point. :) All carnauba wax is a solid in its original state.

George @ Detailed Image

I use both. Zaino for protection Carnubea for the deeper shine:biggrin:

I use both. Zaino for protection Carnubea for the deeper shine:biggrin:

Yeah, that is what I used to do. It never addressed the fine lines which sort of orbited around the reflected light bulbs from my garage ceiling. It drove me effin bananas. I tried the green zaino buff stuff: better overall but not gone and it seemed to add a haziness that I found disturbing.
The 3M glaze/ebony zymol treatment has worked very well. The shine is deep, the lines are GONE, and I've never had more "wow, THAT's a '91?" comments.

Uecker

I use the 2 bucket wash method to prevent dirt particles from scratching the paint as much as possible. Any clay bar works fine as long as you lubricate it during use. I use Zaino exclusively and only wax by hand in the direction of the airstream to prevent swirl marks. I always start with 2 coats of Z-5 and then follow up with a coat of Z-2 with accelerator. I frequently use the Z-6 Gloss Spray in between washings. My cars finish looks like glass. If it weren't for those annoying rock chips it would look like an '01.

Here's a couple photos. It's been 2 days since a wash. Weekend's coming.
Uecker

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 344
Here's a couple more; both of the center of my hood. The first is focused on an overhead light and the second is focused on the paint itself---the 16 year-old, 70,000 mile, Phoenix sun, desert dust, highway debris, scorpion-spit and iguana crap paint.

Man, I need a touch-up.

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC_0048.jpg
    DSC_0048.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 291
Here's a couple more; both of the center of my hood. The first is focused on an overhead light and the second is focused on the paint itself---the 16 year-old, 70,000 mile, Phoenix sun, desert dust, highway debris, scorpion-spit and iguana crap paint.

Man, I need a touch-up.

Yeah, gotta focus the camera on the surface of the paint, not the reflection. Would be great to see before and after pics- someone get some when they try this regiment!

Jeff

Re: Best...Wax...Ever = Zaino Part 1&2

I have spent a fortune on waxes over the years.

Paint prep is the first key. Clay bar, Meguiars #7, abrasive of choice. The surface should be smooth as glass and your hand will glide across it. If you are getting the paint surface to 'feel/look' better with additional coats of wax, then you didn't prep the surface well enough to start. Be careful on edges, etc. I have never needed a power buffer to get what I want out of the finish, just elbow grease.

One coat of properly applied wax is all you need. A 2nd coat is just re-emulsifying the first. (2nd coat is fine a few weeks later if desired..) The quick detailing sprays are OK to use later on, as they too re-emulsify your existing wax.

With the exception of the plug for Zaino, I had most of the wax info recanted to me from a Meguiar's rep who visited one my car clubs years ago, and I have never seen anything contrary.

Zaino has IMO far surpassed all other products on the market presently at any cost. Not only for shine, but durability and easy of use. So its a huge bonus its only ~$20 for a bottle of Part 1 & 2. Clean the paint, apply Part 1, apply Part 2 right over it, wait 30min... clean interior, drink a beer, etc, and then buff off with the deepest nap all cotton towel you can find. Careful you don't get a cloth with poly edge stitching. The other great thing about Zaino is that is can be done on a hot car, in the sun. Not preferable, but sometimes necessary. It buffs out perfectly. FL gets its share of rain and the car will dry without waterspots. Even with heavy 'monsoon' rain, the wax stays fresh for 6 months. Can't say enough good about it.

Back