• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bilstein strut failure

Anybody ever seen anything like this? My buddy's '99 T with Bilstein's and Eibachs suddenly dropped down on the right front, lifted the hood and began rubbing on the tire. We were travelling in a straight line at 35 mph, didn't hit any bumps or pot holes. Here's the pix of the top of the strut:

fca7f46b.jpg

fca7f465.jpg

The car has about 6k miles with the setup on it. Never damaged. Any ideas what happened?

Best regards,

Ben

I had that happen in an old car of mine, but only because to avoid a head-on I took to jumping the ditch. Sounds like faulty equipment from the manufacturer. Check for any damage to the car, bent a-arms, etc. Make sure they pay for everything, alignments, etc.

SR

I would suggest the possibility of an improper install of the struts. The only reason I say that is with my experience with Bilsteins, Konis and Tokicos, if they are installed within the spring correctly, with the top plate(s) in the right order with respect to the 14 mm nut on the top, the spring, and the spring perch, there shouldn't be any way for that to happen.

Just a thought.

-FurBall

I'm just going from memory here but something does not look right in that picture. It looks like the nut is screwed WAY down the rod and the washer looks quite upside down.

DanO

Check for any damage to the car, bent a-arms, etc. Make sure the installer pays for everything, alignments, etc.

That is exactly what happened to my Integra when my kid changed the shocks for me. Improper installation!!!

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

Originally posted by JPS Europa:
That is exactly what happened to my Integra when my kid changed the shocks for me. Improper installation!!!

So the installer's father paid for everything...?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
So the installer's father paid for everything...?
biggrin.gif
Well, I got to reinstall them with the washers UNDER the cups. And I get a reminder everytime I open the hood when I see the dimples on the underside left by the shock shafts. Happily, nothing shows outside the car.

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

Back