• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Body Shop in Sunnyvale/San Jose/Mountain View area?

Ben

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I had an NSX shipped to me from Houston via transporter, and the handlers on the Houston side crashed it, but put it on the transporter anyway. So, it's going to arrive crashed.

Any recommendations for body shops? :(

Acura corporate was totally useless and gave me the run-around when asked for a list of the Acura certified shops for the NSX's aluminum body.

-Ben

Ben said:
Hi all,

I had an NSX shipped to me from Houston via transporter, and the handlers on the Houston side crashed it, but put it on the transporter anyway. So, it's going to arrive crashed.

Any recommendations for body shops? :(

Acura corporate was totally useless and gave me the run-around when asked for a list of the Acura certified shops for the NSX's aluminum body.

-Ben

I needed some work done too and I'm having a hard time finding a shop that will do it. I went to Los Gatos Acura for an estimate and they told me they didn't have the proper tools/machinery at the moment to do the repair properly. It was cool of them to be honest and not just take my car, collect the insurance money and do a half assed repair.. but I'm still trying to find a shop.... let me know what you find out.

-mike

Hey guys for what it is worth, Brooks Motor Cars in Oakland CA is a terrific shop and they have worked on my NSX. They have worked on other high-end cars of mine as well and do great work.

I know it is about an hour from where you are but it might be worth a look. The owner is Daniel Kim, the address is 9829 Bigge Street, Oakland, CA 94603, telephone number 510.632.8901.

I am in no way affiliated with them other than as a multi-time repeat customer for the past 10 plus years.
Call Daniel and tell him Michael Hartmann referred you.

Taking a tour of their shop is like going to a spa for high-end cars. Ferrari, MBZ, Porsche, etc., all over the place. Last time I was there, Daniel's 2001 360 Modena was for sale... 5K miles, dark silver with black interior and clean, tubi and clear bra too. I think it was available for $120K.

PS, sorry to hear about ths shipping mishap. I hope it all works out and the damage is minor.
Michael

Here's one:

Autobahn Body & Paint
778 Yuba Dr
Mountain View CA 94041
650/966-1840

My friend's Monte Carlo Blue NSX-T was repaired flawlessly from a rear quarter panel/bumper impact. I saw it in person and it was perfect. While there, they were rebuilding the front end of a new '03 Imola Orange NSX-T. They have lots of NSX experience and photos (before/after) to show their work. Wouldn't hesitate taking my car to this shop.

Here are a few others that were mentioned on Prime a while ago but have no personal experience with:

Costelli & Pardini. San Mateo. 650/571-7001
If you value quality over dollars.

Bodystyle, 524 E Brokaw Rd, San Jose CA 95112. (408) 436-1616.

Vytas

Vytas, thank you!!

I brought my car to autobahn yesterday, and it turns out they are a 'preferred service shop' of my insurance carrier... so they can handle all the paperwork as well. I'm dropping it off today and will be picking it up when its fixed.

They also had pictures of another nsx they repaired, with almost identical damage to mine.. only it doesn't seem that mine is as bad.

Thanks again!

-mike

hey vytas, the MC NSX you've mentioned...anyone i know? :)

yes, that was mine before i had sold it...the job was perfect...pricey but since insurance would cover it, i would go with the best job.

Is yours the black one? I saw it when I went there to check the shop out.

mikeh said:
Vytas, thank you!!

I brought my car to autobahn yesterday, and it turns out they are a 'preferred service shop' of my insurance carrier... so they can handle all the paperwork as well. I'm dropping it off today and will be picking it up when its fixed.

They also had pictures of another nsx they repaired, with almost identical damage to mine.. only it doesn't seem that mine is as bad.

Thanks again!

-mike

I went last Thursday, and they hadn't taken it apart yet.

mikeh said:
Ben, ya the black one is mine. Was it apart yet? I'm still waiting for them to give me the estimate.. :)

-mike

Is Autobahn in Mountain View still in the good graces of NSXen? At some time between December 28 and this morning, somebody scraped their white car along the passenger side of my baby. I don't know exactly when or where, as I'm used to just getting in on the driver's side -- perhaps I should do a walkaround every time I drive -- but it definitely wasn't there on Dec 28th and it is there now :mad: .

So, I need bodywork. I'm on the Peninsula, and Mountain View is very close, but I'd drive a ways to get a quality job done.

I'm going to pick up an NSX from them today. This is actually the "2nd" pickup, as the first time, I noticed they missed a few things. My first impressions based on my first inspection was that they aren't too detail oriented. Among other things, they painted parts of the lower bumper that are supposed to be unpainted from the factory, and they did not use a factory screw for one of the headlight covers. The paint looked not bad though. I'll have another report from when I go to pick it up today.

I'm not very happy with the work, altho they did deal with my insurance company directly and everything so that part was easier. If I had it to do over again I'd go somewhere else.

My hood is still bent (should have been replaced, instead i think they tried to straighten it and refinished it). There is a broken suspension piece which they didnt even see (and apparently it was on an frame rack to make sure it wasnt bent, and had an alignment before i got it back.. im finding this hard to believe). The temp sensor on the climate control doesnt appear to work, always blows cold.. but atleast the fan works on settings other than high (it didn't when i brought it in). The vent control doesn't appear to work either.

Anyway, the hit it took was pretty bad.. and I think they fixed that pretty solid. It feels like they just cut corners in order to please state farm. I'd keep looking.

-mike

flaminio said:
Is Autobahn in Mountain View still in the good graces of NSXen? At some time between December 28 and this morning, somebody scraped their white car along the passenger side of my baby. I don't know exactly when or where, as I'm used to just getting in on the driver's side -- perhaps I should do a walkaround every time I drive -- but it definitely wasn't there on Dec 28th and it is there now :mad: .

So, I need bodywork. I'm on the Peninsula, and Mountain View is very close, but I'd drive a ways to get a quality job done.

Sounds like an "avoid", then. How about the other shops mentioned in this thread? Does anyone have any additional recommendations for a quality Bay Area body shop that has NSX experience?

I just got back, and they fixed the hood adjustment and put in the proper screws for the headlight covers. The paint looks a bit orange-peel, but I think it might have just been the light I was looking at it in. So, overall, I'd say that Autobahn is not bad, but you could probably find better. I'm a pickier customer than most, so maybe it might be ok for you. I'd be happy to show you my car if you're in the area.

flaminio said:
Sounds like an "avoid", then. How about the other shops mentioned in this thread? Does anyone have any additional recommendations for a quality Bay Area body shop that has NSX experience?

Bob, sorry to hear about your car. It sickens me to hear of people who damage others' property and leave the scene without taking responibility for their actions. :mad: I had great luck with Costelli and Pardini on my NSX and my C43 Benz. They are located just off Hwy 92 in San Mateoand they do show-quality work. Ask locals about my NSX.
Their number is (650) 571-7001. Vytas's description of valuing quality over dollars is a little harsh. But IMO their work is worth the money, and the peace of mind!

Thanks, Ken. I really can't imagine the sort of person who would drag their car along an NSX and then just take off. There's a special circle of Hell for them.

I'll give Costelli and Pardini a call once the weather breaks. I'm probably too picky for Autobahn, based on what Ben wrote.

My car's back, good as new. Costelli and Pardini did a great job fixing it up, and it didn't even cost as much as I thought it would (although it was still a bit pricey). Thanks to Ken and everyone else who responded. I would recommend C&P without reservation.

Back