• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boost, Autorotor and "popping" sound?

Just my own curiosity here; but what rwhp are you making from a 3.0 with stock iinternals at 8.5 lbs of boost?
Not sure. During the summer I made 344rwhp @ 7psi. Clearly I don't have enough fuel going into the car at high boost (i.e. cold temps). So once that gets fixed, I'm sure I'll be getting a few more winter ponies for free. I do have to say that my car does feel very fast right now. But I also know that people say your car never feels faster then right before your motor goes... so I'm gonna go easy on it. I need to contact Comptech and see what they have to say about cold weather and high boost.

I remember back a full year ago Mike at Autowave telling me that even with the new electronics, he was getting detonation from the autorotors. He said once the crap gas showed up at CA stations, and the temp dropped a bit, if the car wasnt completely heated up it would detonate (because timing wasnt getting pulled back by the stock computer soon enough).

My car is doing the exact same thing. I just had Shad do some work on it last week. My car is also makeing 8.5 lbs boost. He had someone from Comptech come down and check the pulley size and it is correct. He did say with the cooler temps the SC runs very efficient. He adjusted my fuel pressure and the car made 372.1 hp at the wheels with 273.7 ftlb of torque. Maybe Shad can give us some feedback. Thanks Rob

Saber

I remember when you PM'd me about this topic. Well, I took the car out today to go to a local meet. Afterwards, I ran through a few gears and noticed my boost gauge blinking. For the first time ever, I saw my boost gauge read over 9lbs :eek:

It worried me to see that. However, I have not heard any popping sounds like you described.

wow... I can't believe you guys are seeing #'s that high. I need to get a good boost gauge in mine... but so far I am not even close... just low 6's.

Hey Brian, when did you upgrade to the high boost kit? another run maybe?:biggrin: this time I'll have a much needed oil change, free flowing exhaust and unfouled plugs:tongue: still haven't done the 600 kit yet though.....

Hey Brian, when did you upgrade to the high boost kit? another run maybe?:biggrin: this time I'll have a much needed oil change, free flowing exhaust and unfouled plugs:tongue: still haven't done the 600 kit yet though.....
haha... I'm still on the stock kit and it's making 9psi! I would be down for a run sometime too... I still a new clutch... for those 1-2 shifts.

On a serious note - I have spoken to both Comptech and Shad about this issue. Comptech confirmed they are aware that the Autorotor is very sensitive to temperature and elevation changes. Meaning it makes more boost so easily and can lead to detonation under certain conditions. They said they are working on a "fix". I assume this means fixing the ACM to do the right thing when it sees cold temperatures. There was no ETA.

When I spoke to Shad, he confirmed my suspicions - as 1NSX2NV said in his post. Looks like this is clearly a relatively well known issue across the board. Hopefully Shad is working with Comptech on a fix.

In the mean time, I am always putting Lucas Oil octane booster in the car when I fill it up. I also made a change in the fuel pressure regulator as well ( bolt replacement) that basically allows fuel pressure to keep building on the rail. These are very "hack" interim fixes, but I have not heard any detonation since making these changes even in very cold weather (30deg). Hopefully the ACM fix will come soon.

haha... I'm still on the stock kit and it's making 9psi! I would be down for a run sometime too... I still a new clutch... for those 1-2 shifts.

On a serious note - I have spoken to both Comptech and Shad about this issue. Comptech confirmed they are aware that the Autorotor is very sensitive to temperature and elevation changes. Meaning it makes more boost so easily and can lead to detonation under certain conditions. They said they are working on a "fix". I assume this means fixing the ACM to do the right thing when it sees cold temperatures. There was no ETA.

When I spoke to Shad, he confirmed my suspicions - as 1NSX2NV said in his post. Looks like this is clearly a relatively well known issue across the board. Hopefully Shad is working with Comptech on a fix.

In the mean time, I am always putting Lucas Oil octane booster in the car when I fill it up. I also made a change in the fuel pressure regulator as well ( bolt replacement) that basically allows fuel pressure to keep building on the rail. These are very "hack" interim fixes, but I have not heard any detonation since making these changes even in very cold weather (30deg). Hopefully the ACM fix will come soon.

lol 9lbs? that's pretty crazy!
I hope you get your detonation issues worked out! Give me call whenever and maybe i can convince my brother to come out as well!

Back