• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boost controller setups ?

I'm interested in the idea of being able to change boost levels on the fly but before diving into this I thought I should get some incite on other people's expieriences with these. Wondering if it's worth all the money and time to get it working properly.

Last edited:
The AEM EMS can use a switch input to vary boost level.

To do this, you will need an engine management system like this:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/EMS_1991-94_NSX/

And a boost controller, like this:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/.../ScienceofSpeed/wastegate_solenoid_valve_kit/
ok, so tell me now how to change boost levels on the fly or making it boost by gear with newest AEM....
As far i know AEM has electronic boost control but it is not gear dependent as AEM can not read car's speed. But you can do it with a switch having stock wastegate boost and EBC adjusted boost which you need to change with switch.

ok, so tell me now how to change boost levels on the fly or making it boost by gear with newest AEM....
As far i know AEM has electronic boost control but it is not gear dependent as AEM can not read car's speed. But you can do it with a switch having stock wastegate boost and EBC adjusted boost which you need to change with switch.

I have a thread addressing this. There's a few ways to address boosting by wastegate alone and then the target psi set to the boost controller.

What we did was hook up the boost controller normally with a switched 12 volt and whatever aem pin it told us too. We then hooked into toggle switch ground and another pin on the aem "A pin that wasn't being used or rather a pin that the aem will not read anymore since you're running full aem". My tuner then set the target of the boost controller to 0 duty cycle when that switch is flicked.

There's other ways he was explaining but this was the easiest. FYI I think the aem can be set up with boost by speed, not by gear but by speed. Therefore if you ever have boost cutting issues you'll want to check wheel speed sensors too and rule that out of the equation just encase.

I have aerodyne turbos and have been reading up on boost controllers....seems like the ones who tried but end up blowing turbos...oh well

I have aerodyne turbos and have been reading up on boost controllers....seems like the ones who tried but end up blowing turbos...oh well

That's an extremely vague statement. Although I have no experience with twin turbos I can only assume one thing... The pressure source from both are combined into one line and then that routed. But I may be wrong.

However it's not the controllers that blow things up. It's the tuner and/or the person fiddling with them. If all the basic things are set up then even if the boost controller stops working then hopefully you'll just hit your boost cut off that should be set up.

The problem I read about was properly tuning the aerochargers variable vain system to work with differing boost setups and not be affected by boost creep which led to barring failures... But this was in the last gen vvt's so I don't know how performance would differ but I'd imagine the issue is still present...I've heard of vv controllers but haven't found much about them.

Variable-geometry turbochargers (VGTs) are a family of turbochargers, usually designed to allow the effective aspect ratio (A:R) of the turbo to be altered as conditions change. This is done because optimum aspect ratio at low engine speeds is very different from that at high engine speeds. If the aspect ratio is too large, the turbo will fail to create boost at low speeds; if the aspect ratio is too small, the turbo will choke the engine at high speeds, leading to high exhaust manifold pressures, high pumping losses, and ultimately lower power output. By altering the geometry of the turbine housing as the engine accelerates, the turbo's aspect ratio can be maintained at its optimum. Because of this, VGTs have a minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold, and are very efficient at higher engine speeds. VGTs do not require a wastegate.

The two most common implementations include a ring of aerodynamically-shaped vanes in the turbine housing at the turbine inlet. In general, for light-duty engines, the vanes rotate in unison to vary the gas swirl angle and the cross sectional area.

Back