• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

bose amp for sub and rear speaker

can someone tell me if they are the same for a 1997 verus a 1992. (I have a 97 nsx and i have an opportunity to get the bose amp for the sub and rear speaker out of a 1992 .. but want to you if they are the same)

Thanks

Tom

They are the same - however be cautious buying a 92 vintage amp - if it has not been rebuilt, good chance it will go the same way they all do - the caps' liftimes are not good. It depends somewhat on how much it has been under power, but the overall lifetime itself will be a factor. (analogy - similar argument to the timing belt one - advocates say should be changed at time interval even if miles are minimal)
It may work perfectly now, but it will go the route of all of them before long unfortunately.

so, should i get the 92 rebuilt before i put it in my car? I guess i am trying to avoid taking the car apart twice. How long does it take to get the amp out. what is involved? Please give me your advice.

Thanks

It's not too big a job - probably easier than the doors.
First you need to take the sub assembly out - its pretty straight forward, just peel back the passenger carpet under the glove box area and you will see an aluminum kickplate panel - remove that & sub assembly is behind it. Then unbolt & remove the whole sub box.
The amp is buried inside the box, so you need to remove about 15 screws around the perimeter to split the two halves of the box, then the amp just unplugs from the harness assembly & you can replace it,
Are you buying the whole sub or just the amp? I think a rebuilt amp is about $75 exchange - there are several places that rebuild them including Bose themselves (available in the FAQ) or you can replace the caps & transistors yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron for <$20. I recall you can also buy a non-Bose after-market replacement.
Maybe you can try the replacement & see how it works, then get your original repaired for when it goes again.

Back