brake rotor screws-necessary?

I just removed the front rotors and what a pain the #$% to remove those two little screws attaching the rotor to the hub...

Why did Honda put these on? What is the true purpose of them?...I did n't put them back on ... my '91 Legend has them as well... and they are also "glued" on... pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can think of...maintain proper alignment with the brake caliper...

mystican said:
I just removed the front rotors and what a pain the #$% to remove those two little screws attaching the rotor to the hub...

Why did Honda put these on? What is the true purpose of them?...I did n't put them back on ... my '91 Legend has them as well... and they are also "glued" on... pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can think of...maintain proper alignment with the brake caliper...

Mystican, This thing does wonders $9.99 at Auto Zone. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Impact driver

The screw also center the rotor slightly.. the screw is tapered to center in the rotor.

Good people they are there for a number of reasons. Don't ask me what they might be since I didn't design the car, but I don't think Honda would have gone to all the extra cost for the little screw, the machining for the threaded holes in the hub, the machining for the rotor holes and positioning and so on for so many cars on the road. This all adds up and all manufacturers are trying to save cost where they can and this would be an easy one if they weren't really needed. I find it makes changing pads a whole lot easier. Use the tool shown above to help solve the removal and then coat the threads with some anti-seize to make it easier in the future. :wink:

mystican said:

Nope. Car manufacturers put these there in order to hold the rotor in place when the car is being assembled and moves on the assembly line. Otherwise, there is always a risk of them rotors falling off (since they "float" in place) and they are not exactly light either. To answer your thread question, it is not necessary to put them back on when you replace your rotors.

Btw, an easy way to tell when buying a used car if the rotors have ever been replaced is to look for these little screws.

ATERPAK said:
Good people they are there for a number of reasons. Don't ask me what they might be since I didn't design the car, but I don't think Honda would have gone to all the extra cost for the little screw, the machining for the threaded holes in the hub, the machining for the rotor holes and positioning and so on for so many cars on the road. This all adds up and all manufacturers are trying to save cost where they can and this would be an easy one if they weren't really needed. I find it makes changing pads a whole lot easier. Use the tool shown above to help solve the removal and then coat the threads with some anti-seize to make it easier in the future. :wink:

They are a cost savings measure for Honda since it doesn't cost much to put the screw there and it aids in downstream assembly. That is the only reason.

mystican said:

Yep, they are a PITA to remove. Do it the right way with an impact driver. I chose the hard headed way and drilled them out :redface:

Then if they are only there to hold them in while on the assembly line, why do they need two? One would do the job in that case. :confused:

One or two wacks with a hammer using an impact driver and those screws backout out easily for me. I love that impact driver. :biggrin:

Back