• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake/Tire Seminar 8/5 Portland, OR

Edo

Experienced Member
Adrenaline Racing
Brake and Tire Seminar (8/5/06)

When:
Saturday, 5 August 2006
11AM-12PM

Where:
Adrenaline Racing
16088-A Boones Ferry Road
Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035

Contacts:

Eddie Nakato
Email: [email protected]
Tel: (503) 697-3311

Cost:
$15 (to cover the cost of food and drinks)

RSVP:
Required (group size will be limited) by email to [email protected]

Description:
Join us for an hour long seminar on brakes and tires followed by a barbeque. For those of you new to the track, the seminar will cover everything from pre-event preparation to reading your brakes and tires in the paddock. For intermediate and advanced drivers, the seminar will look closely at such brake-related issues as pad and fluid selection, the merits of big brake kits, the importance of brake-bias balance, and the need for ducting. The seminar will also cover tires, including compounds, operating temperatures, air pressure and the merits of pyrometers. This promises to be an exciting event, with something for just about everyone. Afterwards, stick around for a barbeque and swap stories with other track fanatics!

See you guys there!
Mods, please email me if this is in violation of any forum rules!

You are in Southern CA. Are you planning on attending? If not, was that particular "tone" necessary?
And if no harm was meant by the comment, then Thank you for the advice. I'm sure we'll take it to heart next time we do this.

Last edited:
Firstly, I'm in Northern CA. And yes, if the speaker is someone that I respected or a known expert in the are, I might be interested in going. If he is a nobody, I definitely have no interested in going. This issue become more important to someone like me who is thinking of coming from out of state.

Just like if Claude Rouelle doing a seminar, even if he is in the east coast, I would like to go.

If he is just a joe schmoe, who knows if his seminar any good or just a late night lame TV advertisement.

Re: Whew !!

If he is just a joe schmoe, who knows if his seminar any good or just a late night lame TV advertisement
Damn, Andrie, you're talking like you drive now. They better get outta your way !!! :eek: JK Good points.

Andrie Hartanto said:
When inviting people on a seminar, it will help if you list the speaker. His credentials and short blurb on why he is an expert.

Who would be interested in going if the speaker is just some Joe Schmoe

I think the invite was self-explanatory, a basic brake/tire seminar for his growing number of motorsports clients.

But still- good points Andrie, see now this is why I never go to the North Cal NSX club events- often times they just have the entry level WC racers touting their sponsors or small one person vendors talking motorsports smack instead of the big dogs running the seminars that I know personally I myself would care to hear from. :biggrin:

Haha, you two need to just leave the smack talking to me. :tongue:

Eddie, thanks for the invite, and I wish I could stop down for the BBQ / seminar as well, but BMWACA day isn't until the 8th and I don't think I could convince Heather to give-up another day of work on Monday in between. I might need to call in sick for a proformance day on the 10th with Brian as well at Pacific.

Andrie Hartanto said:
Firstly, I'm in Northern CA. And yes, if the speaker is someone that I respected or a known expert in the are, I might be interested in going. If he is a nobody, I definitely have no interested in going. This issue become more important to someone like me who is thinking of coming from out of state. Just like if Claude Rouelle doing a seminar, even if he is in the east coast, I would like to go. If he is just a joe schmoe, who knows if his seminar any good or just a late night lame TV advertisement.

Huh?!?? :confused: In case you were looking for feedback (as opposed to being deliberately unpleasant), rest assured that we're all truly and sincerely impressed with (i) how important you are, (ii) how good a driver you clearly must be, and (iii) how supportive you are of the community. I, for one, just can't WAIT to meet you. Really, truly. I'll even buy the first beer.

CBender

Andrie,
Perhaps some reading on your part would be in order. I've highlighted the pertinent sections in BOLD for you.

Edo said:
Description:
Join us for an hour long seminar on brakes and tires followed by a barbeque. For those of you new to the track, the seminar will cover everything from pre-event preparation to reading your brakes and tires in the paddock. For intermediate and advanced drivers, the seminar will look closely at such brake-related issues as pad and fluid selection, the merits of big brake kits, the importance of brake-bias balance, and the need for ducting.The seminar will also cover tires, including compounds, operating temperatures, air pressure and the merits of pyrometers. This promises to be an exciting event, with something for just about everyone. Afterwards, stick around for a barbeque and swap stories with other track fanatics!

It seems quite clear to me that this is for HPDE level drivers who are "new" to the concept of performance tires and brakes. Something that would be quite apparent if you actually "read" the description before posting your wonderfully intuitive advice.

So while there might be some SWC drivers who actually benefit from a basic tire and brake seminar, I suspect more of them would simply benefit from smaller ego's and better reading skills.

Thanks for the invite Eddie!

Will see you there, sounds like a good chance to drum up some excitement for those who have not yet found out how much fun the track is! Looks like a good starting point for both novices and intermediate drivers...

Andrie Hartanto said:
Eddie, talking about ego, you should look yourself in the mirror. Who is the one posting a challenge to people to beat your time on PIR?
http://www.arautoservice.net/index.php?id=4

This is my last post on this matter. As a simple request on the speaker become a pissing match. I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh.

No comment on the pissing match, you two:biggrin:

however, the "ego challenge" is really something interesting... ummm, wait, it's a total copy of "my car challenge" with Hot version. John@Microsoft found it surprising that I don't know who is Eddie,:redface:, seriously, is Eddie really that good at PIR?? It's really a pretty good advertisement, but I can see that it's a can of worm waiting to be busted...

Cbender said:
This is a gracious/reasonable response. Let's all let this go.

CB

Sounds like someone is trying to get out of having to buy the 'first beer':rolleyes: :wink: :eek: :mad: :tongue: :frown: :smile: :confused: :cool: :biggrin:

Andrie Hartanto said:
Who is the one posting a challenge to people to beat your time on PIR?
http://www.arautoservice.net/index.php?id=4

QUOTE]

Eddie's fast but I think I want more than a 20% discount to let him drive my car that hard! No doubt in my mind, Eddie has the fastest Civic at PIR that is DRIVEN TO the track...:wink:(and home):redface:

NSXDreamer2 said:
No comment on the pissing match, you two:biggrin:

however, the "ego challenge" is really something interesting... ummm, wait, it's a total copy of "my car challenge" with Hot version. John@Microsoft found it surprising that I don't know who is Eddie,:redface:, seriously, is Eddie really that good at PIR?? It's really a pretty good advertisement, but I can see that it's a can of worm waiting to be busted...

Its exactly a copy of the Hot Version My Car challenge. Thats the whole point.
It generates interest in my company. It says nothing about my "ego".
I could be the worst driver in the world and still run this sort of "challenge". 1of 2 things happens when people try the challenge.

1) They lose, meaning I am faster and they bring their business to me because I can show them how to be faster

2) I lose, meaning I am slower. but they get a 20% discount..which means they want to bring their business to me.

Either way I win because I get business and exposure. How this is a "can of worms" is a mystery to me.
And how this is a showcase of my Ego is also a bit of a mystery to me.
Sure, I'm confident of my ability, but again its quite obvious this is a "promotional" item meant to generate interest..not showcase my ego.

Edo said:
Andrie,
Perhaps some reading on your part would be in order. I've highlighted the pertinent sections in BOLD for you.

It seems quite clear to me that this is for HPDE level drivers who are "new" to the concept of performance tires and brakes. Something that would be quite apparent if you actually "read" the description before posting your wonderfully intuitive advice.

So while there might be some SWC drivers who actually benefit from a basic tire and brake seminar, I suspect more of them would simply benefit from smaller ego's and better reading skills.

Hey Eddie,

I believe that I met you (Former NSX owner who had a civic as a track car after selling the NSX) at PIR last year during a track day where NSX owners from OR and WA showed up for the TriCity BMW/Porsche event.

If that was you, then you came across as a pretty levelheaded guy. Andrie is the same way, he's also a pretty straightforward and levelheaded guy who I have known for many years.

I think that you are totally missing the point that Andrie brought up, if the speaker who was giving the seminar was an expert it would always be possible for a person who attends the seminar to have a personal Q/A session *after* the seminar.

Those of us who want to become faster will always strive to keep learning in order to become faster and better at the track, so I'm pretty sure that you are one of them too, so don't take Andrie's questions as a flame..

L8TR,

Ken

BTW: Hope your reputation does not become as bad as ghettoracer who crashed and burned after asking people to drive their cars. (just kidding, if you know of HPDE events on the west coast you probably have heard of him)

titaniumdave said:
No doubt in my mind, Eddie has the fastest Civic at PIR that is DRIVEN TO the track...:wink:(and home):redface:

Actually, Eddie has confided in me that his civic is dead (something about throwing a belt again and breaking a pulley this time, and being fed up with it). It never managed better than 1:29.11 (which is disgustingly fast for a Civic), which doesn't beat my 1:28.82, so he has admitted defeat in the 2006 round of the World Championship of Mike vs. Eddie at PIR: Civic Handling and Weight against STI Power. :cool:

Regarding Eddie's ego, sure it's there, but it is a purely friendly, good-natured ego that just wants everyone to have fun and go fast.

-Mike

grippgoat said:
Actually, Eddie has confided in me that his civic is dead (something about throwing a belt again and breaking a pulley this time, and being fed up with it). It never managed better than 1:29.11 (which is disgustingly fast for a Civic), which doesn't beat my 1:28.82, so he has admitted defeat in the 2006 round of the World Championship of Mike vs. Eddie at PIR: Civic Handling and Weight against STI Power. :cool:

Regarding Eddie's ego, sure it's there, but it is a purely friendly, good-natured ego that just wants everyone to have fun and go fast.

-Mike

No question, their were flumes of blue smoke as oil blew past the rings all day long. It saw a lot of pit work from Team AR that day. Fun while it lasted thou.

The best part of my day was as I flew by the black civic onto the back straight away in the NSX, thinking that Eddie was driving it. I was running good in the 1:30's and it was the first time I saw the vehicle in my run group so it at least seemed plausable.. well, even if only for a moment. Heather apparently even said "OMG, I bet you John thinks he just lapped Eddie". I couldn't stop laughing.

As it turned out, Brian was driving it with the car making no boost he was about to come in. :biggrin:
Uggh, one day I'm sure it will happen and I'll lap Eddie... I just need a Lister Storm LMP car.

I really wish you were there that day Mike.

But I digress, no 20% discount for Team John@Microsoft... and boy could I use that $80 discount this week when I pick my car back up. :smile:

Anyways, so far as the North Cal vs. Pacific NW... all I can say is I can't wait for NSXPO 07' to get everyone in a room together lest we be able to reach consensus on a speaker for the simple brake seminar.

Last edited:
Back