• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Brakes screaching...

My rear brakes are now making slight screaching sound when I'm braking at 10mph or so. I'm assuming thats the normal when the pads are going... I hope. How long can I go before replacing? 1-2 week of normal driving?

I'm assuming thats the normal when the pads are going...

Almost certainly.

How long can I go before replacing? 1-2 week of normal driving?

Depends on how many miles you're normally putting on. Basically, you want to get them changed as soon as you can, since that squealing means that the metal tab is contacting the rotor. But you don't have to park it until then, just get it done as soon as it's practical for you. Don't put it off though.

As Ken says, don't put it off.

IF the noise should stop and you think that the brakes have fixed themselves - don't be stupid - what has happened is that the metal wear indicator has snapped off! It happened to me once when I put off the pad change!

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

IF the noise should stop and you think that the brakes have fixed themselves - don't be stupid

In my pre-NSX days, I put a deep groove into the rotors of my old Celica. I think I remember hearing the warning squeal maybe once or twice, but when the sound went away I figured it couldn't possibly have been from the brakes. I just kept on driving until my next major service several months later...and the service guy couldn't believe what I had done. Fortunately nothing really bad came from this oversight (other than having to replace the pads and rotors).

I certainly won't make the same mistake in my NSX.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 12 August 2001).]

Back