• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying an NSX tomorrow + VIN Help :)

SCAM ALERT!!! sorry for the inconvenience...(administrator, please feel free to delete).

Hello all,

I finally found one of my Unicorns...A red with tan interior 1991 NSX with about 22K on it. 2 owners, everything stock!

I live in Los Angeles (SFV to be precise) and I will have Tony Fuchs do the pre-buy inspection unless you recommend someone else for that?

Could you please let me know anything you might know about the car:

JH4NA1150MT000683

Per owner, no track days, amazing condition. Carfax shows clean title...

Pls help me, the car is being shipped (from England but still Oregon registered), and funds will be held by a third party trustee. Funds will be realeased after an inspection period so it feels legit.

Tkx and sincerely looking forward to joining the ranks!!!

22B

Last edited:
Hello all,

I finally found one of my Unicorns...A red with tan interior 1991 NSX with about 22K on it. 2 owners, everything stock!

I live in Los Angeles (SFV to be precise) and I will have Tony Fuchs do the pre-buy inspection unless you recommend someone else for that?

Could you please let me know anything you might know about the car:

JH4NA1150MT000683

Per owner, no track days, amazing condition. Carfax shows clean title...

Pls help me, the car is being shipped (from England but still Oregon registered), and funds will be held by a third party trustee. Funds will be realeased after an inspection period so it feels legit.

Tkx and sincerely looking forward to joining the ranks!!!

22B

Uh....England? Inspection period?

Could you please post your conversations if you will? You can take out parts discussing price and whatnot.

This car's supposedly for sale in Long Beach.

Last edited:
23saftf.png

theres already 3 previous owners you be number 4 i would assume:smile:

The owner has been quite forward with information but it's an unusual situation. Here are exerpts from our emails:

"I moved to Europe (England) and I shipped the Acura here not knowing that the customs, insurance and road tax will be so expensive. I’ll arrange shipping back to the US and I will allow 5 days for inspection once you receive the car. It’s still titled in the US, you will not be liable of any import taxes.
----
- I attached the carfax. Please check the attachments. You can also run a report at www.carfax.com Here’s the VIN: JH4NA1150MT000683
- There’s no replacements due to issues on the car. The Acura is 20 years old and all the maintenance was done as per the manufacturer's requirements. Timing belt, battery, oil, filters -the usual. There’s new set of tires with less than 700km on installed on the car. I’ll include the car cover as well. The car come is it is and nothing has been changed or added through the years.
- All maintenance receipts will be sent along, so you'll have all details of the products used on the car, eg. oil, filters, other fluids.
- I own it since late 2009 It has one previous owner and as far as I’m concerned he was the only driver. I’m the only driver since
- Still registered in OR.
I arranged for shipping with a local transport company. It will take up to 10 business days with delivery to any address in the US and the title, both keys, invoices and service logs will be sent with the car. They also offer an online exchange service. This is how it works: they secure the payment in a trustee bank account until you receive and accept the car. I’ll sign for a 5 days inspection period, so you have enough tome to inspect the car at your local Dealership
I am confident that you’ll love it, however if for any reason it will not please you, a full refund will be issued and my car will be taken back by the transporter. Again, I'm sure this won't be the case, the Acura is in very good condition.
I agree to cover the transport fees, the inspection however and registering the car in your state will be on your expense. Not negotiable. I’m sorry.
Have a look at the logistics website at [XXXXXXXXXX] Read their Online Exchange section and if it suits your ways, register and let me know so I can post the transaction."

I can post the pics she sent as well if that helps...

Thx!

Have you ever talked to this guy on the phone?

My red flag-o-meter is pegged.

No phone conversation yet, owner is a Lady. Feels legit because of the freight company is acting as a trustee in the sale. Funds won't be realeased until I agree. I have some protection.

Must admit, price is very suspicious too...Tkx for the help! Very nervous about going forward.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Tony Fuchs? If he's someone from Prime who has a good reputation among owners then I think his word would be good.

But I don't recognize the name so perhaps you can go with someone who is trusted here on Prime. That would be good enough for me if I were in your shoes - but I would never buy a car such as an NSX sight unseen.

J

No phone conversation yet, owner is a Lady. Feels legit because of the freight company is acting as a trustee in the sale. Funds won't be realeased until I agree. I have some protection.

Must admit, price is very suspicious too...Tkx for the help! Very nervous about going forward.

Don't give funds to anybody, a bank, a shipping company, no one.

This car is for sale in Long Beach, CA, (allegedly) and is not on a boat headed to the US.

Tony Fuchs racing. Richard Evo takes his there. I used Tony to prep my race S2000 for the past 2 years and he's well known and very reputable in the S2K community.
Glad to go to anybody else you might recommend!

If this works out for you and is legit I will be amazed,betwixed,mesmorized,entranced,......at least there is a unicorn mention so I'm all in....

Don't give funds to anybody, a bank, a shipping company, no one.

This car is for sale in Long Beach, CA, (allegedly) and is not on a boat headed to the US.

This IS the Long Beach (according to owner now in England) car we're talking about and according to my research, the freight company checks out.
Is there anything out there about this NSX I should know? anybody tried to buy it before?

DO-NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY IF YOU DO YOU ARE THEN CONSIDERED

A VICTIM

fly and see the car hand the guy/lady money he/she hands you title your done.

DO-NOT SEND THEM MONEY. I think I have read that same " situation " in other fraud scammers.

sllffp.png

30nir8n.png

whats with the miles?

Last edited:
DO-NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY IF YOU DO YOU ARE THEN CONSIDERED

A VICTIM

fly and see the car hand the guy/lady money he/she hands you title your done.

DO-NOT SEND THEM MONEY. I think I have read that same " situation " in other fraud scammers.

I'm not sending any money directly. The freight company holds the funds in an account until I inspect the vehicle. I'll have 5 days for a full inspection before I decide whether or not to purchase the car. If I decide against it, the funds will be returned to me.

Has anybody heard about this or done this type of thing? Obviously I'm concerned about protecting myself from a scam, but the use of the third party and the terms and conditions make me feel more at ease. It's not a direct pay pal transfer or anything.

It just doesn't "feel" right. You may want to take a few minutes and Google; car sale scams.
It may be perfectly legit, but there are a lot of scams out there. There are also a lot of NSX's for sale that can be seen and driven before any exchange of funds.
Ron

Like the others on the this post I'd be very scared of this one. Too many moving parts and if it does not work out (because of fraud) you'll have to deal with an international arena to try and recoup some of your money. Good luck. I hope it's not a scam.

sllffp.png

30nir8n.png

whats with the miles?

I have no idea. How would it pass car fax and auto check if there is that discrepancy on the mileage?

I've emailed the owner and offered to fly out to inspect the car to see how she reacts. Also asked her why it is advertised everywhere as being in Long Beach...

It's easy to set up a "Transfer" or any Company for that matter, especially on the internet. I would guess that there is NO NSX in England for sale with a matching vin#. I heard from a SCAM EXPERT on ebay that you should ask for a cell phone picture with location digitally embedded. Have them take the picture with a current newspaper on the hood then look up the newspaper their website to verify the headlines are current headlines. Another way is to ask local police to verify, if the seller gets pissed you are involving the police you just saved your self BIG $$$.

BTW Airfare to England is NOT that expansive :biggrin:

Will you please post pictures of the vehicle they sent you? Someone here may recognize the car.

Try calling the number in the Long Beach ad tomorrow. If THAT car's real, then it's only 35min from you. Then, you can ask them in person why the mileage is all over the place.

Don't make go all RSO on ya...:wink:

It's easy to set up a "Transfer" or any Company for that matter, especially on the internet. I would guess that there is NO NSX in England for sale with a matching vin#. I heard from a SCAM EXPERT on ebay that you should ask for a cell phone picture with location digitally embedded. Have them take the picture with a current newspaper on the hood then look up the newspaper their website to verify the headlines are current headlines. Another way is to ask local police to verify, if the seller gets pissed you are involving the police you just saved your self BIG $$$.

BTW Airfare to England is NOT that expansive :biggrin:

JUst e-mailed seller and offered to fly to London or have some European friends of mine check it out.
Tkx for the heads-up and the great mobile phone / newspapers suggestion.

Promess, I won't do anything stupid :rolleyes:

Huge red flag too...the price...18K (flame on)

Pics: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...kId=20001&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

I have more pictures, nothing recent.

Last edited:
Back