• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

C8 Corvette Delayed......

I've been following the development of the C8 Corvette just out of curiosity, and I found this interesting article by Hagerty that I thought was interesting and worth sharing:https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi...il&utm_content=Daily_News_Tuesday_March_12The The car is delayed. Sound familiar??? Corvette guys are getting impatient and pissed off. The delay really puts the current C7 generation in a bad place...... They say they have the capacity to continue to build them (C7), but what Corvette guy looking for a new Corvette would buy the current one knowing the C8 is potentially (supposedly) around the corner? I think there are some interesting parallels to the NSX story. Also note that they are rumored to be planning a 1000 HP version, with, wait for it...................................... electric motors up front......

Last edited:
If they can iron out those pre-production issues then I think NSX sales will hurt a little since my conjectures are that there is some overlap between the 2 potential buyers..... like myself who just wants something with an engine in the back that would have an aftermarket support and start with 500HP with daily usage in mind that is around $150k range. Not too many options right?

I think there are some interesting parallels to the NSX story. Also note that they are rumored to be planning a 1000 HP version, with, wait for it...................................... electric motors up front......

The catch here is that they will have ones WITHOUT a hybrid drivetrain while Acura has it ONLY WITH a hybrid drivetrain. Indeed the C8 will take a chunk out of the NSX sales front, but I am curious how the sales distribution will be. I wonder how many people will bite on the hybrid model? My guess few will. There will likely be a healthy aftermarket scene that will cater to the owners and allow the non-hybrid versions to out-perform the hybrid units without all the extra weight & needless complexity.

The C8 will finally have a formidable contender to all the exotics. The quality of the C7 has shown that they can compete. I was never a fan of the Corvette due to its front engine layout, but this mid-engine car is looking like it may be in my garage in a few years.

The catch here is that they will have ones WITHOUT a hybrid drivetrain while Acura has it ONLY WITH a hybrid drivetrain. Indeed the C8 will take a chunk out of the NSX sales front, but I am curious how the sales distribution will be. I wonder how many people will bite on the hybrid model? My guess few will. There will likely be a healthy aftermarket scene that will cater to the owners and allow the non-hybrid versions to out-perform the hybrid units without all the extra weight & needless complexity.
In 2107, there were 32,782 Corvettes built. Chevrolet has provided Corvettes to the masses for decades, from relatively affordable to $170K ultra high HP versions...... You can do that when you sell 32K cars. This is not the NSX model. It is a boutique halo car, and you can't offer 12 versions of the car when you're building 1000 per year. I do not really know what Acura's sales expectations for the car were??? But, I do not think their expectation was to sell 30,000 of them. In 2018, for some reason, Corvette production was uncharacteristically low at 9686 units. Something about the plant being down for 3 months, and only 5 months of production. I do not know why? Perhaps they were scaling back production in anticipation of the C8 to attain better sales?? We now know production has been delayed, and no release date yet in sight. I for one was interested in a hybrid highly complex supercar. It is unique, and not like the rest. It has more in common with the 918 than a 720s. For what I paid for the car, I considered it a bargain for the styling and performance I was getting. Only time will tell if all of that technology will bite me in the ass someday. But until it does, I plan to enjoy mine......

Last edited:
The C8 will finally have a formidable contender to all the exotics. The quality of the C7 has shown that they can compete. I was never a fan of the Corvette due to its front engine layout, but this mid-engine car is looking like it may be in my garage in a few years.

LOL. Highly unlikely. No true exotic (Ferrari or Lamborghini) owner is EVER going to consider a vette. Completely different league and more importantly, lifestyles.

LOL. Highly unlikely. No true exotic (Ferrari or Lamborghini) owner is EVER going to consider a vette. Completely different league and more importantly, lifestyles.

lol DocL has been the outlier his whole life...:biggrin:

I see cars for what they are. A car.

Then I must be dreaming since I was at a local car meet and ran into 3 guys that have vettes for the weekdays and track and rear mid engine european cars for friday evening through 60 Minutes.

Then I must be dreaming since I was at a local car meet and ran into 3 guys that have vettes for the weekdays and track and rear mid engine european cars for friday evening through 60 Minutes.

Just proves my point. They’re used as their DD. A cheap alternative to a true exotic.

Last edited:
DSC_0004.jpg
Couldn’t agree more. The C8 has some serious potential in its most-developed form.

"Serious potential"?

Big assumption for a car that isn't even an official offering yet.

The C8 will have a long way to go to try to catch up with a 918.

I would like to see Corvette do something like a 918 for a third the price.

"Serious potential"?

Big assumption for a car that isn't even an official offering yet.

The C8 will have a long way to go to try to catch up with a 918.

I would like to see Corvette do something like a 918 for a third the price.

I know someone who worked on the performance version of the C8; I saw the model during wind-tunnel testing. The simulation numbers for Nurburgring times based on aero performance were impressive. Yes, you can blow that off as a simulation. And yes, it's entirely likely that the version of the car those tests were using will not ever be made. It was neat though, and that's why I believe the platform has serious potential.

Why is 1/3 the price of a 918 something that makes a car reasonable? That's a lot like comparing the NSX2 to a 918: it isn't there and anyone who seriously expected it to be has little understanding of engineering. Very few people know where the C8 will be placed in the market; I certainly don't. But why you would expect it to offer performance that others charge $1M for is odd. [FONT=&quot]¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/FONT]

Simulation is just what it says it is.

"I know someone", the last words of a rumor.

The C8 isn't even an official offering and some have it as a Ferrari/Porsche killer already.

Let alone what they speculate a super hybrid will do.

There are a few comparisons of the NSX2 to the 918 by the way.

If you compare then all, the NSX is a freaking bargain compared to the others, and it is no slouch either.

I think C8 potential buyers are going to be in for sticker shock.

Be prepared to see the first $200k Corvette in 2021.

I have a feeling this car is going to be a huge cash grab from Chevrolet. I would love to be wrong but I have a feeling that they will just throw a $30,000 mid engine premium on the car for similar levels of performance as a C7 vette. I personally prefer to set expectations low and be pleasantly surprised than expect this to be a ford GT competitor only to be disappointed.

The FORD GT is a cash in on history and exclusivity.

The C8 has no GM product to relate to (that isn't a dud).

So, do they do an "introductory model" in the $80k range?

If they do it will probably have a V6 and not twin turbo either.

If they do a full on 900-1000 hp with electric assist (super hybrid) then most likely it will be a limited edition like the super Cadillac (CT6-V) that they announced an increase of production of.

That model of C8 won't be out till 2020 at the earliest and probably 2021 if the economy doesn't tank.

I would expect the base model mid engine variant to have 450-500hp and start at $75-$80k. I do agree that this may be the first corvette to crack the $200,000 mark when they start to go crazy with it. Maybe then people will appreciate the NSX for $150k...

I would expect the base model mid engine variant to have 450-500hp and start at $75-$80k. I do agree that this may be the first corvette to crack the $200,000 mark when they start to go crazy with it. Maybe then people will appreciate the NSX for $150k...

But you’re forgetting that sticker is not $150k for the NSX. They have to discount the eff out of it in order to sell the NSX. None of us know what the price of the C8 will be, but remember most NSX’s were priced at around $200k due to dealer greed and a bunch were sold with high stickers.

The aftermarket support for Vettes are great and will be even greater if the C8 comes out.

Those that are on the fence for a Euro exotic (not brand loyal, worried about everyday use, etc.) will hope over to the Vette.

As Jay Leno said, in Le Mans it's really a Vette and 911 battle for 1st and 2nd.

But you’re forgetting that sticker is not $150k for the NSX. They have to discount the eff out of it in order to sell the NSX. None of us know what the price of the C8 will be, but remember most NSX’s were priced at around $200k due to dealer greed and a bunch were sold with high stickers.

Sticker is $156k for the NSX. Market value is a completely different story, MSRP value versus what people are playing is always drastically different. Realistically MSRP only matters to the uneducated buyer. I'm still a firm believer that this is an incredible bargain at $156k sticker value, but the market has decided otherwise. All clients that I personally know made the decision to purchase the car because they perceived the value of the NSX as more than what the market was asking.

If the C8 can provide value to clients at the $150-$200k price point, more power to them. I personally think that the NSX should be a learning experience for them. It really is a completely different ball game once you get over the $150,000 price point. I also don't know how much they can sell the heritage of the Corvette being that a mid engine model let alone hybrid assist will be a complete departure from everything that their current customers love about the Corvette.

Starting to sound a lot like what happened with the NSX now isn't it? Honda tried to push the envelope and along the way left behind the heritage that made the original NSX special in the eyes of many. This fact alone hurt sales. I to this day think the car would have been more successful if they changed nothing but the name.

It's the same argument with reviving the name of the Supra. People will always hate it because it is not the same as the original that they loved. Ford is the only brand that was able to create a product that is truly a tribute to the heritage of the original GT and it's done very well for them.

I'm excited to see a mid engine car from Chevrolet and excited to see the performance and styling it has and where that car fits into the market. If it was my call I would continue to make the front engine corvette and add a mid engine sports car variant to the lineup under a new name. This keeps the Corvette loyalists happy and at the same time allows them to draw in buyers from the exotic market. There will always be exotic buyers that will not consider the car because it is called a corvette, regardless of it's performance, engine layout, etc. it's just something no amount of marketing can change.

Last edited:
CORVETTE gave up FE because of CAMARO.

Maybe what they should offer are CAMARO's reworked by CORVETTE and offer the C8.

HONDA and GM have some cross licensing agreements and co-ventures.

HONDA got the magnetic suspension and I would not be surprised to see GM get the front assist for the C8.

Too bad the NSX gets treated like the redheaded kid, it is a bargain compared to all the other ME's and super hybrids.

Didn't the C6.R race cars totally destroy all of the so-called superior euro-marques for years? Say what you want about pedigree, but the Corvette engineers know how to build a really fast car. I think the C8 will be a world-beater.

[MENTION=34013]Heavymetals[/MENTION] I have to give it to you, I was talking with my friend today who worked on the C8 and he was laughing about how, at the time of development, it targeted performance about equivalent to a 918. And now that it’s getting close to release, the world has moved on and the C8 has been dumbed down. Kind of like the NSX2 story. The current photos I have seen do it look as nice as the shape of the car when he was working on it. I still have high hopes though.

Back