• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Caliper Painting & Brake Bleeding

Howdy all,

I decided while replacing pads and turning fronts rotors to paint the calipers. I'm going sell the car when my factory five cobra is done, but I figured what the hell, someone else will enjoy it.

Cleaned with acetone, 2 coats of primer, 7 coats vht caliper red. Hand painted 500 degree white on the letters, two coats 500 degree clear just on the letters.

Worked out very well. So I put them back on. Now, almost all the fuild came out one way or another and I can't seem to bleed the brakes. I'm following the instructions from danoland.com and from my past expieriences, but after like 80 depression per wheel and not even a smidgen of fluid has gone out the the reservoir, I'm a bit frustrated.... Ideas? Thanks guys

MVC-650X.JPG

Bled mine after caliper painting also and it took some time to get the fuild moving. Speed bleeders were a big help since I did the bleeding alone.

Be patient, pump slowly, open bleeder only on down stroke and close before releasing. You have a helper right ?

You may end up having to replace your master cylinder. Also look down in the master cylinder and make sure the ports are opening with the brake released.

Good tip on checking the ports, I am doing everything else that you said though. AND, the master cylinder was new in 2001...

Matt

something else to consider, and I hope this isn't the case for you, is that:

In a full system, the piston travel in the master cylinder is fixed, that is, it only travels from point A at the top to point B at the bottom of the cylinder, and the seals "fit" to that travel.

Without pressure in the system, as when the breaks are bled, the piston (and therefore the seals) are free to go PAST that point to a "fresh and unworn" portion of the cylinder and I have heard that if the pedal is pushed too far, (which pushes the piston in the master cylinder further than it would normally travel) it can damage the seals.

For this reason, when flushing your brake system, pedal depressions should be rather shallow and never further than you would normally be able to depress the brake pedal.

Someone can correct me or clarify if I'm off base...

Speedbleeders DEFINITELY make this an easy and one person job...

Hope this helps - Don

Back